aberdeen-music

Fopp Closing

Stephen

Surely by saying "I've heard of bigger injustices in the world," you are using the same form of argument? That is, saying it's small fry in comparison to other things. If anything it's a lot more flippant than my post, at least it was an extremely exaggerated comparison, whereas your take on things seems to say as much as "pfft," which is perhaps slightly insensitive, considering that some users of this website are directly affected by this.

I'm using the Wagner association to justify my flippant statement.

Don't get me wrong, I think the demise of Fopp is very unfortunate (I've been a Fopp customer many a time). But I took umbrage at you suggesting that Fopp being unable to pay its staff due to financial difficulties is similar to Nazi-style slave labour!

What can I say? I'm always grumpy in the mornings...

Guest DustyDeviada
There was a thread not long ago with Nazi-themed song titles.

But don't get us started on that road again (although I'd nominate a song by the GasChambers Brothers, if I was a sick-minded individual like Dusty Deviada :) )

Yeah, my offering in that thread was the Auschwitz favourite "Send in the Kleins".

Don't get me wrong, I think the demise of Fopp is very unfortunate (I've been a Fopp customer many a time). But I took umbrage at you suggesting that Fopp being unable to pay its staff due to financial difficulties is similar to Nazi-style slave labour!

What can I say? I'm always grumpy in the mornings...

Sorry Boss, but I'm going to agree with RF Scott that you have trivialised the situation somewhat. Maybe the Hitler comparison is a bit extreme, but maybe "people dont get paid, people get made redundant and life goes on" is also going a bit too far.

I find it quite shocking that a company can be aware beforehand that their staff may not actually get paid for their months work, but let them do it anyway just in case some miracle happens. The fact is that once the company realised that there was any risk at all of staff not being paid, they should have just bitten the bullet and closed down right there. If I went into a restaurant and stuffed my face, even though I knew I wouldn't have enough money to pay for it, I'd probably get nicked. To be told with no warning that through no fault of your own you will just have to cope without any money for over a month is beyond shit.

There are actually tributes tacked on the wall outside Byres Rd FoPP now, as if some minor royalty had died. Well Glaswegians are a sentimental lot, and the chain started in De'Courceys Arcade, which is now home to the excellently obscuritanist Lost in Music, the only shop I've ever seen this century to stock every Spirit album, including Potatoland, behind Woolies on Byres Rd if u r in the Weej.

Guest DustyDeviada
There are actually tributes tacked on the wall outside Byres Rd FoPP now, as if some minor royalty had died. Well Glaswegians are a sentimental lot, and the chain started in De'Courceys Arcade, which is now home to the excellently obscuritanist Lost in Music, the only shop I've ever seen this century to stock every Spirit album, including Potatoland, behind Woolies on Byres Rd if u r in the Weej.

The Byres Road Fopp sold flowers as well.

I'm not sure if it was posted on this forum or another, and I can't be bothered searching this thread, so apologies if this has already been said:

Apparently the reason Fopp went bust is because when they bought out Music Zone, loads of the record companies were due loads of money. Fopp just said "Ooh, sorry about that, that was a different company, you'll have to write off all that debt."

The record companies then said "Like fuck, if you've bought Music Zone then you are due the cash, pay up or we will stop supplying you."

Then Fopp went tits up because they didn't have stock to sell.

Apparently.

Yes, using what is essentially slave labour in order to save a dying business is a good idea.

Didn't Hitler do a similar thing with forcing people to work and not paying them? Also, pretending he wasn't going to kill them, when he actually was? After they'd worked, that is.

Ahem. Godwin's Law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But to bite.

They weren't forced to work for Fopp. Let's be honest, the average retail worker (outside of GM's, most likely) isn't going to get taken to court if he/she told Fopp to stick their contract with no notice - so how are they 'forced' into work?

I'm pretty sure Kwik Save workers did the same thing recently, though it appears they worked while knowing that the company was in trouble - and it's paid off for some of them, at least.

Having said this, I think it's pretty lousy that the workers were working while completely unaware (as far as I know?) of the troubles the company was having - then again, what businessman would let the mere staff know of any troubles before the troubles actually hit? Did Roddick let her staff know that she was intending on selling out before she actually did? (okay, so that's more of an ethical issue than a money issue).. Are the Virgin Megastores staff generally aware of how badly they're doing? What about the HMV Group, are they aware that they've been taking a hammering by City types?

The Fopp story does seem definitely murky - looking at this, Fopp rejected offer of lifeline | Business | Money | Telegraph , it looks like the senior management at Fopp were just simply inept.

Thing is, at the end of the day, none of us know what was going on with Fopp - there may have been an intention to pay wages, only for it to become clear that they wouldn't be able to. HBOS may have made it clear that any money banked would become theirs, meaning that the company would've had no way of ensuring that wages were definitely going to get paid. There's so many possibilities - so you really can't criticise them, unless they had really no intention of paying anyone.

This whole thing is hilarious. I've never been treated as poorly by any company I worked for than I was at Fopp. I remember being told on payday one December that I would not be getting paid til after Christmas. For the follwing 4 months I was left in doubt as to whether I had a job or not - everyday could have been my last day. For 6 months following that, I was reduced to part-time hours and told that I may not get a full time job again. This is all before our heating broke and we were forced to work in sub-zero temperatures for the following winter.

Fuck Fopp, I'm glad it's dead. I just feel so bad for the employees

• 3 weeks later...

gotta love that dogged dertermination that the old staff will come back to their old jobs ("70 jobs will be saved")...

who the fuck would work for them now? would you trust new administration with the same old brand? ("..all stores mentioned were trading with profit")...not now ?! I wonder how Fopp will change..if it will change...

interesting stuff.

Guest bluesxman
It appears HMV has bought 6 Fopp stores:

BBC NEWS | Business | HMV snaps up Fopp name and stores

Surprisingly, they didn't buy the Aberdeen store directly across from HMV...

Did they buy the old stock from FOPP perchance? HMV have 2 CD's for 10 deals on just now and all the CD's in this deal look suspiciosuly like the stuff that FOPP would have sold for a fiver....

Guest bluesxman
I bet there is a newly dug tunnel between fopp's stockrooms and HMV's

There's all kinds of tunnels and shit under Union St ain't there? maybe they just knocked through a wall or summat....I noticed peering through the FOPP window the other day that the CD racks seem to have been cleared but the DVD's are still there...weird....

Firstly, Ha Ha Paz, some kind of twisted legend, just don't let him in yer hoose.

Now, on topic, Byres Rd Fopp is preserved in aspic with no changes at all visible, all stock where it was etc. I hope its this Glasgow that is re-opened, but its bound to be the downtown one. Shame on the idiots who ran it, I was in the Sauciehall Music Zone and it was total ding, utter bouff from start to finish, only a moron would have thought it was a going concern.

PS is it bouff or bowff, I dinna ken.