aberdeen-music

Fopp Closing

Stephen

Taken from www.punktastic.com

Punktastic understands music retailer Fopp may be shutting some stores - if not all. The company shut its stores today, citing stock counting as an excuse. But PT has heard from staff members who were told yesterday they were no longer allowed to take card orders, just cash, and that many stores could cease trading for good. According to this article the company is no longer accepting book orders. There has been no official word from Fopp as of yet.

noticed Aberdeen store was closed for this reason today

anyone able to shed any light on this???

as they just opened a brand new store in cumbernauld on the 8th of june(according to their website anyway) i'd be very surprised if the whole company shut up shop like that.

maybe it was just a stock take and there's nothing more to it than that. although i have just texted kartta bass supremo mike, who works in fopp, to check.

I heard they were getting bought over by Virgin? Might have something to do with that.

Could be an interesting move by Virgin, especially in light of how badly their retail arm is doing at the minute compared to HMV's operations. I read some report in a newspaper that suggested that the only reason Virgin were still on the go was because of massive loans from other Virgin companies. Branson apparently is sentimental towards the chain because it's where the Virgin empire started from - so that's an interesting point to be made.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fopp were struggling in light of how aggressive HMV have been towards cutting prices lately, especially seeing as Fopp have been positioning themselves as a high street retailer now rather than as the slightly edgy independent chain that they used to be.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Well on the plus side they might have a big closing down sale.

Every cloud eh?

That was my first thought when I saw the thread title. Never bought any music from there, but it's greatly enhanced the DVD collection. Best purchase has to be series 1 and 2 of "Citizen Smith" for a tenner.

"Power To the Pee-poooooollllllllllllllll"

with repect to some of the aberdeen staff who are good guys, i'm not sorry in light of their

awful treatment of a former local senior management............

disposable staff, disposable company

Additionally everyone should support your LOCAL shop 1UP (Independent)

Could be an interesting move by Virgin, especially in light of how badly their retail arm is doing at the minute compared to HMV's operations. I read some report in a newspaper that suggested that the only reason Virgin were still on the go was because of massive loans from other Virgin companies. Branson apparently is sentimental towards the chain because it's where the Virgin empire started from - so that's an interesting point to be made.

Ironically, that is terrible business practice!

Anyway,

Fopp has (for me) been the shop that has albums I wouldn't normally buy but sometimes I can be persuaded to purchase simply because it is cheap. One up has albums that I actually want and are usually a few pounds cheaper than Virgin/HMV.

One-up actually shows how much Virgin and HMV rip-off their customers because they are an independent store who can still undercut a chain who will buy in bulk. Shows that the HMV/Virgin mark-up must be huge.

with repect to some of the aberdeen staff who are good guys, i'm not sorry in light of their

awful treatment of a former local senior management............

disposable staff, disposable company

Additionally everyone should support your LOCAL shop 1UP (Independent)

ahhh, if only you knew...

Guest idol_wild

Fopp is shite for cd purchasing but fucking amazing for books and dvds. I'd be sad to see it close down (not that I think it will), though mainly because three friends work there and would be paid off!

As for One Up - I second lepeep's comment. One Up is still a very very crucial part of Aberdeen's music scene, but if the average punter actually knew how it was run and who was running it, along with what their attitudes towards music were, then they'd probably be quite disgusted.

In saying that, it's still the finest independent record shop I have ever been in. Avalanche has fucking nothing on it. One Up has (or can get, if out of stock) pretty much everything Avalanche has, plus much much more. And the second hand department is unrivalled.

one up is still my first port of call for new releases, it's always the best in Aberdeen for getting wide and varied music. "most" of the guys in one up kain their onions and are always good for reccomendations.

I'd just like to add that to my previous statement (thanks to Idol_wild)

peep

Ironically, that is terrible business practice!

Isn't it just? They lost a fair bit when they bought Our Price too, I think - I could never understand why they did that, Virgin's strength has always been having a vast catalogue to hand rather than having small stores like Our Price did.

I'm not sure though that One Up will have drastically higher costs - if you think that HMV/Virgin's space in Aberdeen will cost them a hell of a lot more, plus they have to have a lot more staff, it wouldn't be terribly surprising to find out that the online CD sales have utterly hammered them. One-up (and Fopp to a certain extent) will get loyal customers, but it's unlikely that many people are loyal to HMV/Virgin.

Fopp have made a bad move (regardless of what's actually happening) by attempting to go mainstream I think - they could have probably made more money masquerading as a independent chain than the corporate entity that they actually are.

Fopp is shite for cd purchasing but fucking amazing for books and dvds. I'd be sad to see it close down (not that I think it will), though mainly because three friends work there and would be paid off!

As for One Up - I second lepeep's comment. One Up is still a very very crucial part of Aberdeen's music scene, but if the average punter actually knew how it was run and who was running it, along with what their attitudes towards music were, then they'd probably be quite disgusted.

In saying that, it's still the finest independent record shop I have ever been in. Avalanche has fucking nothing on it. One Up has (or can get, if out of stock) pretty much everything Avalanche has, plus much much more. And the second hand department is unrivalled.

nail on head.....

tis amazing the amount of people that have worked in one up over the years.