aberdeen-music

Wheres the best place to get mashed in Amsterdam...or the best gallery

Coz Brendan our beloved Chanteur is getting married and we are going mob handed to the city of Liberal Decadance. I don't wann hear about Whooring or any of that sordid shite, just the Maash

Anyone who wants to come over all arsey about this can just fuck off now, I'm not interested.

Also, has anyone been to the Rembrandtshuis, cos thats on my list.

the heineken brewery is worth a visit, you get a free drink at the end and can get many more if you are not too shy to ask people who arent drinking for their free drink token. anne frank's house is good for five minutes. coffee shops are everywhere, i liked Grey Area i think it was called, small but with very good weed, good music and good banter. the Pink Floyd coffee shop is a good shout too. if someone offers you drugs on the street dont even say no just ignore them.

aye good advice stay away from those cunts at all cost. Dont even look at them or they will follow you for ages, same goes for the homeless people.

We found this lovely little place called the Doors, nice selection of green and you could get a beer which most coffee shops dont offer. Stay away from the bigger named coffee shops i think the bulldog is one, they are expensive, find some iscolater if you can :up:

Vondel park is great if you get a nice day and want to relax outside, and hire a bike if you can, good way to get around the city easily and see a lot of the sights. I loved wandering about the city without really goin anywhere its a wonderful place to see, just follow the cannals if you get a bit lost and its easy to find where you are.

If you are serious about wanting to visit Amsterdam's museums here is some information:

There are plenty of priceless Rembrandt's and Vermeer's at the Rijksmuseum. Philips Electrical are sponsoring this exhibition while the main museum is renovated.

The Nemo museum, near Central Station is unusual in as much as many of the displays are interactive and you see technology in a new light. The building itself is easy to spot as it looks like a ship.

For relaxation you could try the Torture Museum which houses all sorts of horrific but real devices that were once in common use.

The University has a very interesting Computer Museum that houses a huge variety of computers beginning with "valve" and "relay" models from 1947 through "Pets" and "Apples" and Dutch "Tulip PCs" to modern games units.

The Rikjsmuseum houses no end of works by Rembrandt and Van Gogh - very traditional and very crowded - get there early to avoid the inevitable queues.

The "Theater Museum" is very good and the "Backstage" area will be especially interesting to musicians.

The "Theater Museum" is on the edge of the "grey area" mentioned in previous posts. Almost anything is available there to stimulate or satisfy you - don't be afraid to ask!

A special guide to the City called "Mellow Pages" has recently become available again and is well worth purchasing as soon as you arrive.

You can buy a one-day, or a three-day "All of Amsterdam Transport Pass" that gives you unlimited transport on any bus, tram or train.

If you like steaks, the very best in Amsterdam are available at "Gauchos Argentinian Steakhouse" - it is near the Kraznapolsky Hotel, just off Dam Square, on the busy street that leads to the area you say you are NOT going to visit.

Enjoy Amsterdam

It's more than twenty years since I was there, but the Art Gallery I liked most was the Stedelijk, which is the gallery of modern art. There was loads of pop art etc I particularly liked 'The Beanery' by Ed Keinholz, which was a recreation of a US bar done inside a metal box. The people all have clocks as faces, and the gallerey used to pump the 'room' full of nicotine smoke , so the figures were all coated in tar...ace!!, but I dare say there's some health issue nowadays.

I also enjoyed seeing live music at the 'Melkweg' (just missed the Ramones by a day dammit!)

Thank you all, many suggestions, all will be considered. I'm quite good at 'Huge City Hard Face' which is also needed in London and Paris, so I fear not that I may get adopted by a dodger, tho I will be as on guard as Possil-ible. Iso=top of my list by far, Melkweg, also heard of , will check, Mellow Pages, sounds up my Street, as for the variety of galleries and museums, the theatre one sounds well good, will add to provisional list.

Keep the cafe suggestions coming as I would rather jump in a canal than subject myself to the Pink Floyd cafe, I know that the various Bulldogs are mainly for Cockney wanks, so will avoid.

All random Dam ideas welcome, and thanks to all who have already made suggestions, I do appreciate it.:up:

i think the Rembrandt museum is going through lots of refurbishment at the mo

dont know if you can get into everything

the brewery is muchos fun

and the van gogh museum is pretty cool...

goto the bourbon st. blue club.. it rocks! :)

and the jazz place round the corner... whats it called? i forget..

i had a yummy steak last time we went over there..

you should do that too

hmm..

maybes check out Rookies Juice Bar... for some em... juice... ;)

if its a nice day

goto the park..

:up:

If you want to go out clubbing, there is a really cool place called Hotel Arena - get a taxi there. Electro, techno etc... best club I've ever been too plus no tourists (or not the annoying kind)

Watch out if you are a big group of guys, split yourself up into 2s.

Good luck!!

Greenhouse (think there are 3 of them) & Dampkrink sell the best and have the most variety of weed & hash. They can get busy though. Try a vapuriser if any of the coffeeshops have one. They're awesome and so so smooth.

Baba's is good for a space muffin/brownie and serve awesome, awesome coffee :)

Route 66 has a pool table which is pretty funny when you're wrecked.

Hill Street Blues is pretty cool too.

Can ou tell I was in Amsterdam 3 days ago??!! haha

• 1 month later...

Yes it was suitably awesome, Grey Area and 2de Kamer were my favourite destinations, and the Substantial prize is a three way tie between Grey Haze, Amnesia Haze and Acapulco Gold Haze. Did I mention the Haze, not to say the CARAMELLO.

Um, didn't make any cultural places, all the more reason to return as soon as humanly possible.

I dreamt of buying Grey Mist last night!!

Its great, but the coffeeshops in the RedLight are overpriced for what you get, compared to the ones in the west centre. Depends on individual tolerances though. Check Amsterdam Coffeeshop Directory - Cannabis Coffee Shop Guide for an exhaustive guide to the best, including comments, I won't link in case someone gets offended. I had to ditch my party one day as they headed straight back to the RLD, and sat outside a Bulldog all day, like tourists.

Grey Area on Oud Leliestraat is my top pick, but is a bit small, esp for a stag do, remember that no coffeshops sell drink now, but a few bars allow smoking, so just ask. I was in a bizarre Danish bar called Suzies Saloon and you could smoke like a lum in there.

Argh, it auto linked, will remove if its not cool, just ask.

Banana Bar - Where the bar staff are completely naked and will perform sex acts involving bananas, glow in the dark dildos, baby oil and various other implements for a small fee!

Probably the only bar in the world where you can pay a barmaid to put a dildo in your mouth and face-fuck you on the bar.

Banana Bar - Where the bar staff are completely naked and will perform sex acts involving bananas, glow in the dark dildos, baby oil and various other implements for a small fee!

Probably the only bar in the world where you can pay a barmaid to put a dildo in your mouth and face-fuck you on the bar.

I want an address , directions and prices !

so possibly a website ha

I think the Dutch name is Bananen Bar or something for those who want to research it!

For 10 or 20 Euros I got a girl to write a postcard for my mate back home using nothing but a regular biro, and her flange. With her hands behind her back, biro up her lady parts and a little block to put the postcard on, she wrote it in perfect writing and even put love heart dots over the 'I's! Now that's a skill.

Perhaps Kai, who was lucky enough to receive the postcard might scan it and post it....