aberdeen-music

[GIG] Boredoms + Michael Gira @ The Lemon Tree

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bluesxman

Overall I thought Boredoms were pretty great.

While obviously technically impressive, once the initial novelty value of the 3 drummer set up wore off, it became a bit repetitive during the drums only segments, when the full instrumentation kicked in however they were amazing. I kind of wish they segued the songs together more inventively.

Michael Gira must stand as one of the dullest things Ive ever witnessed.

Guest idol_wild

Amen, brother.

I'm sure we'll be vilified for saying so. He's probably a tortured genius or something. But hey-ho. He wasn't to my taste.

See I spoke to quite a few people last night who thought exactly the same, but, I really enjoyed a fair amount of Gira's set, at times he did drag a bit, but songs like 'She Lives' (my faviourite Swan's song) were excelent. A shame really, I don't think he was too suited to the line-up.

Guest bluesxman
See I spoke to quite a few people last night who thought exactly the same, but, I really enjoyed a fair amount of Gira's set, at times he did drag a bit, but songs like 'She Lives' (my faviourite Swan's song) were excelent. A shame really, I don't think he was too suited to the line-up.

I think the problem for me was that EVERY song seemed to go on for an age with pretty much the same guitar part all the way. I gave it a go for a couple of songs but just wasn't for me. I'm not familiar with Swans at all.

I think the problem for me was that EVERY song seemed to go on for an age with pretty much the same guitar part all the way. I gave it a go for a couple of songs but just wasn't for me. I'm not familiar with Swans at all.

Fair enough, I may have been a tad bias due to his involvement with his previous band; it was good to hear some of those songs live.

I'd recommend Swans, even if you didn't enjoy his live set. They ran the gamut between horribly slow grinding music (akin to early Godflesh, but less mechanical), to gothic post rock and folky compositions. Bleak as hell, but probably less likely to bore people me thinks.

Last night was really awesome. Where did all these people come from who were there, they should goto shows like this more often ;)

successful marketing is the key probably, build and they will come etc

would have came along if i wasnt putting on sincabeza + moleck down here (both of which were awesome i may add)

pm me with the details of how yesterday went min

Guest batterypowpow

That was amazing. The parts where it turned from heavy drumming one second to dancey fun pop the next... i've never smiled so much at a gig. And there was one particular drum section that was repeated and repeated... i could've listened to that for hours.

No need for the encore though, the set was the exact right length.

Just a note to say a massive thanks to all those that came out for this rather special night & especially a BIG thanks to those folk who knew about & have seen Boredoms B4 & passed the word on. Its very gratifying to know that people will turn out in numbers & travel to Aberdeen to see artists that would never normally come up here. Hopefully The LT& IMP can repeat this kind of evening again with some other powerhouse artist in 2008........

As a footnote Michael Gira had a bloody rotten throat & probably played 20mins too long, however is has to be said a lot of people were thrilled by his set & his presense on this great night.

During Boredoms set I'm sure I heard some Japanese/African SOUKOUS two thirds the way thro' their set. Can anybody confirm this?

Aparently Boredoms were very pleased with the reception the Aberdeen audience gave them.

Please check out IMP's events during SOUND Festival.

m

a good attendance - but loads of music fans seemed to talk all the way thru Gira

one of the downsides of putting on two artists who will divide the audience, same happened

at a few big events in the past

Godspeed/Sigur R, to name but one.......

I think it just goes with the territory, i'm fed up shooshing peeps now, someone else should take a turn......

a good attendance - but loads of music fans seemed to talk all the way thru Gira

I'd say that was probably only during the last 20 minutes. There is only so much doom and gloom you can take and he certainly outstayed his welcome on stage.

Boredoms were amazing. An awesome experience.

Fair enough, I may have been a tad bias due to his involvement with his previous band; it was good to hear some of those songs live.

I'd recommend Swans, even if you didn't enjoy his live set. They ran the gamut between horribly slow grinding music (akin to early Godflesh, but less mechanical), to gothic post rock and folky compositions. Bleak as hell, but probably less likely to bore people me thinks.

there are some phenominal videos of the swans on youTube...it blows my mind when I see them. It's all the more impressive when you think this stuff was in the early 80's...one of the most extreme bands at the time, I'd imagine (along with whitehouse, EN etc)

I think they are brilliant...but I can't listen to them too often!

peep

i didn't think the talking was much of a problem; i could only hear it coming from the bar when i was at the edge of the floor, nearer the middle i think he was loud enough to drown it out. didn't seem to bother him anyway, especially considering he got pretty annoyed when one of the lights went off on stage

there are some phenominal videos of the swans on youTube...it blows my mind when I see them. It's all the more impressive when you think this stuff was in the early 80's...one of the most extreme bands at the time, I'd imagine (along with whitehouse, EN etc)

I think they are brilliant...but I can't listen to them too often!

peep

The footage on youtube is terrifyingly good. No audience puke action to back up the infamous stories of the volume though...X-( I've been on a bit of a Swans binge since seeing Gira perform the likes of 'She Lives' and 'God Damn the Sun' that night, regardless of his bad voice he still managed to make them feel as bleak as on record.

Now to acquire a vast knowledge of quantum mechanics and build a time device to actually witness early 80's period Swans...

• 2 months later...

Straight out of Thrill Jockey HQ plus releases & i am glad they used the same phrase as I have often used " this will not be just a show but an event not to be missed"!!

Thrill Jockey signs BOREDOMS!

Thrill Jockey is honored and absolutely ecstatic to announce that the legendary Boredoms have signed to Thrill Jockey for the world outside of Japan! Long regarded as musical pioneers, Boredoms have continually pushed sonic boundaries and inspired musicians for over 20 years. Their albums and their performances defy categorization, each one a completely unique event. The one commonality is that the members of the Boredoms have amazing technical skills as musicians, limitless imagination and the ability to combine the two - as no others have.

In April the first NEW edition in eight years to the SUPER ROOTS series, Super Roots 9, finally gets a worldwide release. Super Roots 9 is a recording of a live show on Christmas Eve in 2004, in Japan. The performance features a 20-person choir alongside the group and is the FIRST live recording of the band ever released. The CD, packaged in a special custom-made Mini Gatefold LP style jacket, will feature artwork by EYE and a 40-page perfect bound booklet with music scores and notations. This is the first in a series of records planned for release by the Boredoms in conjunction with Thrill Jockey. Singles, special limited editions, along with albums will all be packaged in special custom designs by the Boredoms. Our focus will be to deliver the records and the concepts behind the music in highly collectable formats of the bands design. We will do so while also making the records available at a domestic price, and on formats, such as 320 bit-rate DRM-free downloads, not previously explored by the band.

Super Roots 9 will be available prior to the release date, from a few select outlets and directly from the band on their first extensive tour in over two years. It will be the first time the band has performed In the Round ever. Where possible, fans will be able to move completely around the Boredoms and experience it from all viewpoints - to move with the sound - to participate in the motion of the performance! The bands most recent North American performance was 77 DRUM on 07/07/07 on the lawn of the Empire-Fulton Ferry State Park section of Brooklyn Bridge Park. The band led 77 drummers in a once-in-a-lifetime event. They promise more than a few surprises on this tour including the Sevena, a 7-neck guitar. As with all Boredoms shows, this will not be just a show but an event not to be missed!!