aberdeen-music

[GIG] Boredoms + Michael Gira @ The Lemon Tree

I would be going for Mr Gira. I've not heard the Boredoms yet.

His 'Angels of Light' are Akron/Family. My mole tells me they may be returning to Aberdeen soon (but not for this night, I fear). My plooks are mum at the moment.

I'm listening to the Boredoms right now. Unholy racket!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the blog says "their live performances are where they truly shine - bringing their beautiful, melodic, sometimes tribal music to life on stage, with an absolutely unparalleled live show"

Its truely great that they are coming to Aberdeen to play LIVE (& very direct)

I'm going to Aberdeen and Glasgow, I think.

Glad to hear you are supporting this amazing line up on their two Scottish dates.

Please pass the word to all your music pals, this will be one of the musical highlights in Aberdeen this year. Quite unlike anything else.............

• 2 weeks later...

Found this knocking about the The Guardian, ref Michael Gira's Indian Summer

appearance. His live appearances are very rare these days.........

Michael Gira battles the noise from the main stage, but then he was once the lynchpin of Swans, the New York band whose shows were so loud that audience members often threw up or fainted. His thrillingly harsh tenor soars above brutally strummed dischords; he only has an acoustic guitar, but this is overwhelming music, with the passion of a proselytising, no-wave Johnny Cash.

http://music.guardian.co.uk/festivals/story/0,,2128286,00.html

Angels of Light is the name for Gira's solo stuff, but he tends to drag other people into to help out, primarly from the Arkon Family, or at least that's some of them.

The Akron/Family played The Lemon Tree on 28th April 06 during Triptych, the line up was

Akron/Family

King Creosote

Adem

The Kitchen Cynics

here's a wee review i found of their set, which has to be said was just amazing

for the folk that stayed for it.........

Try to imagine Sigur Ros going on a camping trip in the old American mid-West with Deep Purple. Got it? Now stick in a drummer in a leotard, and a topless Jesus, and youve pretty much got Akron/Family. They sneak up on you a bit like a bin lorry at five in the morning you dont realise its coming until youre half-deafened with the sound. Akron/Family start off sedately enough with a gentle little acoustic piece, and your only possible indicator of whats coming is the fact that they all have their tops off (apart from the leotarded drummer). About three minutes in they break into an all out assault on the eardrums, both exciting and hilarious at the same time. Because, as a welcome break from the earlier doldrums of Adem, Akron/Family dont take themselves seriously at all, but just love what theyre doing, and play like were all gathered in their uncles garage one Saturday night with a keg of some questionable lager. The set is a mixture of styles, usually beginning on acoustic beauty and traversing through towards a great big party of noise where no-one cares if theyre playing the right notes anymore. You know that no matter how many times you see this band, itll never be the same twice. A pure love of life and music shines through, and its infectious. Plus their instruments include a Stella bottle, an empty whisky box (because the drummer is swigging out of the bottle), a coin, something that looks like a potato, a kazoo, and a cuddly red bird that makes rainforest noises. Seriously, what more could you want?

yayayayayayayayayayyayayayyayayayyayayaayaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i'm on holiday so *ting* .... i'm in!

From The Guardian Newspaper GUIDE Sat 25th Aug 07

LISTINGS of, FILM, MUSIC, CLUBS, THEATRE, EXHIBTIONS, COMEDY, DANCE

& FAMILY

NO 1 listing for all the above genres of the Arts

*BOOK NOW...Having celebrated their their 20th anniversary last month, with a Brooklyn performance featuring 77Drummers, Japanoise avant garde band the Boredoms bring their unique brand of experimental sounds to the UK:

Academy Manchester 22/10..........

The Arches Glasgow 23/10...........

Lemon Tree Aberdeen 24/10.........

Shoreditch Town Hall London EC1 26/10......

Barfly Birmingham 27/10........

The Point Cardiff 30/10...........

Their London performance with Michael Gira is to celebrate 25years of THE WIRE magazine. It also so happens that the Boredoms & Michael Gira are the 1st two names listed in this months WIRE listing & advert for their esteemed celebrations.

This kinda shows the credo of The Boredoms & Michael Gira coming to play Aberdeen. Support the cause, pass the word, future events of this stature can only happen in Aberdeen, if there's decent support for this one................

Please note that tickets for this event can be bought via:-

On line via The Lemon Tree website

Personal visit to The Lemon Tree

& now very good news

via 1UP Records (downstairs) Belmont Street Aberdeen

Also The Lemon Tree is selling a few shows via 1UP records

Additionally IMP's newest announced joint promotion with The Lemon Tree

is on sale now at all THREE ticket outlets above:-

Damon & Naomi (formerly Galaxie 500) + guitarist Michio Kurihar (Ghost)

Picastro (Monotreme)

Adrian Crowley

http://www.lemontree.org/music-damon-and-naomi.html

(another amazing line-up)

Mike

• 2 weeks later...