aberdeen-music

a quick hello

ISLA

Joanna Newsom would be amazing.

I'm seeing her at the Royal Albert Hall in September which may indicate she might be slightly too big for the Lemon Tree. I think the Albert Hall gig is more due to the nature of her sound than her popularity though, stranger gigs have happened.....

I'd also like to second the Regina Spektor and Rilo Kiley suggestions, although I think they're both artists that probably suffer from the "too big for Lemon Tree/Moshulu but too small for The Music Hall" syndrome.

Oh, and I quite fancy seeing The Cribs aswell, just been listening to some of their new stuff and enjoying it lots.

Joanna Newsom is about 500 times more popular than Rilo Kiley!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joanna Newsom is about 500 times more popular than Rilo Kiley!

She's certainly a more well known name, but I think after the success of Jenny Lewis's solo album and the tour in America supporting Coldplay, Rilo Kiley are increasing rapidly in popularity.

You're right though, there's probably a lot more chance of Rilo Kiley playing the Lemon Tree than Joanna Newsom nowadays.

She's certainly a more well known name, but I think after the success of Jenny Lewis's solo album and the tour in America supporting Coldplay, Rilo Kiley are increasing rapidly in popularity.

You're right though, there's probably a lot more chance of Rilo Kiley playing the Lemon Tree than Joanna Newsom nowadays.

It's certainly potentially feasible I think, what with Bonnie 'Prince' Billy playing last year, who has a similar if not bigger fanbase.

tbh anything that synergy put on in glasgow and edinburgh would be great in aberdeen.

although, i think aberdeen en masse isnt quite ready for some of the acts, there is a core of devoted followers

To be honest I think Aberdeen is a lot more diverse than people give it credit, although it's hammered in every second thread, the key really is promotion, the Twilight Sad show on Wednesday for example was busy, especially for a non term time Wednesday. Also, when you have acts like Wolf Eyes saying that Aberdeen was one of/the best shows on the tour, it's a pretty good forecast.

Guest DustyDeviada
Ziggy Marley

Ben Harper

Coldplay

Xavier Rudd

John Butler Trio

Nickel Creek

Bruce Springsteen

Dolores O'Riordan

Damien Rice

Tom Petty

Pearl Jam

Im being stupid.

Nickel Creek were at The Lemon Tree not that long ago, but I think they have split up now. Chris Thile their mandolin player would be a good shout though.

Steve Earle has an acoustic album coming out in the Autumn and will be doing an acoustic tour to support it, would be quite a coup to get him back.

Other acts I would like to see back at The Lemon Tree again are Kinky Friedman, Steve Phillips & Brendan Croker, BR-549 and Chris Hillman.

im fully aware of aberdeen and how we have a forward thinking audience, unfortunately i feel there is only a core of these people, maybe 70-100 that would go to a lot of that stuff, and obviously, maybe 30 would def go at all costs.

that is not particularly ideal for a venue the size of the lemon tree, and it may be that in the first year or so, attendences may not be fantastic, but as the marketing (listings guide) grows and the big smiley faces keep walking out of the venue inspired continues, attendences will grow.

it has happened with imp/arkade shows in the past, and i can see it happening on a more grand scale now that we may have the marketing kick/fund that the lemon tree can offer. i think with islas background, interest in music, contacts, experience and willingness to work with local promoters aberdeen can really take it to the next step. that brochure is the ultimate marketing tool and lands on so many of the right doorsteps

imp/lemon tree collaborations are the way forward! hurrah

Nickel Creek were at The Lemon Tree not that long ago, but I think they have split up now. Chris Thile their mandolin player would be a good shout though.

Steve Earle has an acoustic album coming out in the Autumn and will be doing an acoustic tour to support it, would be quite a coup to get him back.

Other acts I would like to see back at The Lemon Tree again are Kinky Friedman, Steve Phillips & Brendan Croker, BR-549 and Chris Hillman.

Nickel Creek are touring America with the lovely Fiona Apple, the "Farewell (for now) Tour"...Surely they'll venture further afield if they are saying goodbyes? I think itd be a popular ticket, i know i wasnt the only one disappointed without one on their last visit :(

Failing that, i think id agree with Dusty on Chris Thile solo :up: ...And also Chris Hillman. Hillmans last evening at the Lemon Tree was the best gig ive witnessed there, possibly the best in Aberdeen...Sam Bush would be another to provide a materclass of mandolin. Perhaps they could get together for a tour, you and i could support Mr Deviada, you have a mando right?

Also Laura Viers, Ziggy Marley, Regina Spektor, Alexi Murdoch, Shooter Jennings, John Mayer and ill be more realistic and throw Ryan Adams and the White Stripes in there 8-)

Guest DustyDeviada
you and i could support Mr Deviada, you have a mando right?

Yep, but I'm utter gash on it, even worse than on guitar and that's saying something.