aberdeen-music

KENETIC - Facing the North - Debut Single

slinkmasif

Kenetic will be releasing their debut single FACING THE NORTH on the 13th of Aug

The song is available now to preorder from indiestore.com - Kenetic - Home

or you can TEXT indie kenetic 1 TO 78789

You can also catch Kenetic at one their upcoming shows:

29th June - Cafe Drummonds (Captain Face single launch)

15th July - The Moorings Bar

The live video of "Nocturnal Waves" has been uploaded on the Kenetic MySpace for your viewing pleasure

www.myspace.com/keneticband

The song on myspace is ok. I don't particularly like the chord progression. I think it's pretty weak; you don't need classical theory training to know that a I - II - IV sounds cack. Don't mind the singer's voice, though he sounds like he's been frowning a bit to much, kind of like a Brummie whose horrible accent has forced his face to look a bit funny. The recording is ok, the piano sits ok in the mix, and the arrangement is relatively different (ie thank God not at least it's not another 'rhythm-and-lead', two-guitar mediocre rock band.)

I don't think it's a good song, but it's not offensive either.

4/10

It just doesn't sound good. Weak is just a word often associated with chords, and although this is rock music, composers built rules to avoid chord progressions of this type, I-II, in your case Gmin to Amin, being kinda universally acknowledged as a rubbish sound. As I said, you don't need training to hear that Gmin Amin Cmaj sounds like the musical equivalent of a spastic ordering food at a French restaurant.

sorry none of us were aware of the rules of chord progressions.

im not arguin with your opinion of my band thats your personal feelings, but im pretty sure no-one bar pop producers stick to rules of chords. a song isnt about rules of pop or classical as far as im concerned anyway.

Yeah I know, of course they don't. On the contrary, pop and rock continually break many of the rules. Fact is, tonally speaking, the rules have shaped your hearing even if you don't know it. The music made for hundreds of years before you has impregnated mankind of the future with an ear for a certain sound, naturally corresponding to your geographical positioning. In our culture, a I-II or a I-II-IV sounds bad and subsequently amatuerish, in others it may be different; Indian classical music certainly worked on a different tonal basis to Western. Your tune, unlike a power chord riff or something covered in a thousand effects, involves a piano, and a generally 'clean' mix, emphasizing the tonality (i.e, minor or major), so the rules unfortunately do apply (because of the aforementioned tonal burden inherited from by-gone ages (i.e the Western classical tradition of which you cannot escape whether you like it or not). Beethoven and Simon Cowell would both say it sounds bad.

I'm sorry if that makes no sense, it's really late, I just kind of spewed it out.

And anyway, since when have pop producers been the best judges of music?

EDIT: I forgot to say, my introduction of 'the rules' was merely a chance to utilise the combined views of the greatest composers past and present as a vehicle to strengthen my own point. As stated in another topic, music is subjective, there are no absolutes. In this case however, there is an overwhelming, eternity of master-composers who would agree with me over you, which is about as close as you can get to a 'right answer' in a democratic field. I can't see the I-II-IV becoming popular in the near future either; feel free to try though, whatever floats your boat.

I fail to see your point in anything you have said. Listen, I don't really care if you don't like our music, thats fair enough. You come to expect that not everyone will like us, maybe no-one will, but sitting going, 'blah blah blah, chord progression, blah blah, my cock is the biggest, blah b lah...' doen't really do it for me to be honest. If you don't like the music, fair enough, but you are in no position to tell anyone what chords can and can't go together, especiallly apon listening to your myspace. If an artist can exhibit anything they want as a piece of art, then a musician can put any chords he likes together for all I care.

Ciaran

I fail to see your point in anything you have said. Listen, I don't really care if you don't like our music, thats fair enough. You come to expect that not everyone will like us, maybe no-one will, but sitting going, 'blah blah blah, chord progression, blah blah, my cock is the biggest, blah b lah...' doen't really do it for me to be honest. If you don't like the music, fair enough, but you are in no position to tell anyone what chords can and can't go together, especiallly apon listening to your myspace. If an artist can exhibit anything they want as a piece of art, then a musician can put any chords he likes together for all I care.

Ciaran

Ok, I apologise for the over-explanation of myself. in future I'll just tell you it's gash and knock myself up some peanut butter sandwiches instead.