aberdeen-music

SPL aims to reintroduce alcohol

Shaki

Typical half baked fucking clueless SPL idea: all the extra revenue gained on beer sales will just get pissed away on extra policing, it creates an even more unsettling atmosphere for people taking young kids along to games, and fuck all chance of stamping out the more unsavoury 'songs' if most of the ground is trolleyed.

Bravo!

Yeh I have to agree that it's a terrible idea.

At least if they got drunk before the game they would A. be caught and get thrown out or B. Sober up.

If they reintroduced alcohol they would just get worse and worse and something is bound to go wrong.

How many people will fall down the steps during the game?:laughing:

Folks get tanked up before and after the games anyway so it wouldn't be too much of a departure from the current norm. Saves them from having to track down guttered folks after the game, they can lift them in a captive environment instead :p

They'll need a fair fleet of paddy wagons outside the ground!

A wee hot toddie (a "pittodrie toddie"? a "pittodrie pie and toddie" deal? - something for AFC marketing dept to think about) wouldn't go amiss in the depths of winter, don't know about a cold lager though.

Anyway, totally stupid idea that I really hope doesn't get the green light. Scottish Football is embarrassing enough...

It might not be such a bad idea at certain games - for instance, any game involving the Old Firm is probably a bad idea, but can anyone really see the harm in a drink during an Aberdeen-Killie game? They could even combine drink sales at Pittodrie with a requirement that only season ticket holders would be served, and then only two drinks a game - the technology is there, so why not introduce it?

Perhaps if they also clamped down on drink related misbehaviour (immediate 1000 fine and season ban), there would be absolutely no problem from the 99% of people who can have a drink and not go mad.

Bear in mind that if drink can be served at rugby games, there's no excuse for calmer football games to have drink.

I think it's an appauling idea. There really is little benefit from bringing it in. I honestly don't see the point.

There's a lot of money to be made though - if you say they charge 3 a pint, they'd be getting the drink for next to nothing - if Aberdeen sell say 5000 pints at an average home game, that's 15000 extra. Assume 24 home games, and you've just got 360,000 extra. Even with 5000 extra policing costs a game, you're still getting nearly quarter of a million pounds extra a season in revenue that you might not have got otherwise.

There's a lot of money to be made though - if you say they charge 3 a pint, they'd be getting the drink for next to nothing - if Aberdeen sell say 5000 pints at an average home game, that's 15000 extra. Assume 24 home games, and you've just got 360,000 extra. Even with 5000 extra policing costs a game, you're still getting nearly quarter of a million pounds extra a season in revenue that you might not have got otherwise.

I presume Sodexho or whoever has the catering contract would be selling it so it wouldn't be money straight into the club? Maybe not.

I suppose it depends how it is done. In Europe you can generally buy 6 pints in a cardboard carrier, take them back to your seat and get hammered.

Sounds like a pretty bad idea to me. It would only be likely to cause extra trouble at certain games but I don't think you could have a law which only applies to certain fixtures. Old Firm matches have been scheduled early in the afternoon to limit pre game drinking, it would seem strange to now let them drink once inside the ground.

The justifications for introducing it to club football is utter nonsense.

Rugby fans are only getting to drink at Murrayfield not at rugby league games. Now everyone knows that there is no hostility for Scotland games, but when it comes to clubs people are going to be at each other's throats. How are they going to cut down on sectarian chants if alcohol is involved?

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Typical half baked fucking clueless SPL idea: all the extra revenue gained on beer sales will just get pissed away on extra policing, it creates an even more unsettling atmosphere for people taking young kids along to games, and fuck all chance of stamping out the more unsavoury 'songs' if most of the ground is trolleyed.

It's not all bad, it means we can take a carry-out with us on our next pilgrimage to Cathkin Park.

Boing!

They could even combine drink sales at Pittodrie with a requirement that only season ticket holders would be served, and then only two drinks a game - the technology is there, so why not introduce it?

Because it wouldn't be a good idea to marginalise non - season ticket holders in any way.

We need to bring in more floating voters as it is.

Loads of folk drink (aye, as much as you can get down your throat kind of drinking) before the game at the 50 / 50 club etc. anyway and it's not as if it's kicking off at every game in the Main Stand, is it?

Seeling booze at the grounds works in England, so it could work here. We could learn a thing or two from down the road. But we're Scottish, we don't need to learn......