aberdeen-music

FAO: Austin

Sam 45

Aww man. Thanks for that, I did get a slight whiff of a paul stewart/kef kinda deal when we were said we had to shift x amount of tickets to play. Here's hoping we actually sell that amount though, we've only a limited few contacts in glasgow though.

Fucking tours.

Out of interest, how many do you have to sell?

I'd rather not play in a city, than play in a city this way.

Out of interest, how many do you have to sell?

I'd rather not play in a city, than play in a city this way.

We have to give them 20 tickets sales at 4 priced. To be honest we're never going to achieve that. It's been totally niggling in my head since I got the gig.

Exactly, dont play it, you are feeding P2P promoters, you might be excited about the thought of playing in Glasgow but its:

A: Un-Ethical.

B: Going to be shit anyway.

I see both points you make clearly. I'm really gonna have to reconsider probably. Gutted.

Exactly, dont play it, you are feeding P2P promoters, you might be excited about the thought of playing in Glasgow but its:

A: Un-Ethical.

B: Going to be shit anyway.

Exactly. If you REALLY need to play in Glasgow, it'd probably be cheaper, and about as enjoyable, to play an open mic night or something, at least then you'd only be paying for petrol/buses/whatever, and not unsold tickets on top of that...

true. maybe see if you can team up with an established aberdeen band that night and go down to glasgow together to play at a non pay to play venue. sam from level four has loads of contacts in glasgow and they said they were keen to get out and about for shows in july (seen a myspace bulletin), maybe shout him up and go down together???

incedentally mmw are playing at said pay2play venue for said pay2play promoter

LOL

We have to give them 20 tickets sales at 4 priced. To be honest we're never going to achieve that. It's been totally niggling in my head since I got the gig.

I see both points you make clearly. I'm really gonna have to reconsider probably. Gutted.

That's fucking shit, you could hire nice 'n' sleazys for less than 80 as far as I can remember! It's a sad state of affairs where it'd be cheaper to hire your own venue and play to nobody than playing a gig someone else has organised, to people.

stick at it min. always best to tie in with guys who have been about a wee bit and are keen to take you under their wing. actually, deadloss are touring around about then i think, see if you can jump on some gigs with them? or as mentioned previously, hit up sam fae level four

Spoke to Brian from Deadloss I believe but to no avail. Funny you say that though, the guys from Guile, a known touring band, have offered us a few support slots on Scotland dates if all goes well.

Course i'll stick at it though, yer nae getting rid of me that easy maxi. :up:

Right, cancel that gig, you will be doing yourself a big favour and not lining the pockets of someone who doesnt care for music.

Off the top of my head here is a list of some Glasgow venues, go on the net, find their phone number, phone them, see what their hire charge is and if that date is free for hire, book it, go on myspace, find two shitty bands from Glasgow who are desperate for a gig, tell them to put up posters.

Venues:

Mono

13th Note

Nice 'n' Sleazys

Captains Rest

ABC2

Garage

Admiral Bar

etc...etc... my brain isnt working too hard, look up Sachiehall Street and there is loads of places putting on live music.

Ethical, cheaper and better.

mr armada is known to put gigs on and all. ask him. surely you would be up for sticking em on RY?

Montrose ain't quite Glasgow, but hell, it could happen.

I've had some trouble with a Glasgow promoter myself in fact. Nothing to do with Pay to Play, but just utter laziness on the communication front. Really frustrating, and doesn't exactly make a guy feel appreciated.

People obviously don't realise people can tell when you've read a myspace message, but have been 'too busy with stuff' to reply.

• 2 weeks later...

Try and make your first gig in Glasgow a good one, it's easy to get jaded when someone shits all over you. Had a terrible promoter based in Glasgow that changed the venue 3 times, each one worse than the last until it was this tiny room in the bottom of a bar in the middle of nowhere with a 4 channel PA barely suitable for a bingo caller, this was not even a venue. Luckily I had a few contacts to boost up equipment wise (surely promoters job to make sure appropriate gear is there), had fun getting drunk, but ultimately a completely disappointing experience. The guy even had the cheek of charging people three quid to watch us play through something not much better than a loud stereo.

Fortunately this was after several quality experiences in Sleezy's, Stereo and a little bar called Elliot's. Elliot's is on Bath Street, worth going in there, you might get a slot doing your acoustic stuff. It's worth getting a gig swap on the go with a band down there, I'd try and avoid having to organise the first one yourself if possible. The other thing to remember, the bigger the city, the more scammers are going to be kicking about.

It does make you realise how good Aberdeen is for getting started as a band.

Good luck with the gig if you do it though!

(Always good to have a rent a crowd in all cities too ;))

It looks like we're going ahead with the Glasgow date. We haven't recieved tickets and if we do we don't plan on selling any, to be honest it's not exactly the best way to do it.

But still a gigs a gig and I like to play as many as possible. Would you be able to advertise it around on UGS maxi? i've signed up but my accounts been unactivated for weeks now. :down:

id probably be the last person you want to be posting on ugs for you :D

id reccomend sam from level four or the project ven hell boys (actually maybe not as they fairly used to rip into the S A Z crew)

sam from level four is a nice chap and doesnt have any enemies on ugs, maybe ask him if could help you out. id also reccomend you sign up to jockrock.org alternativenation.net edinburghmetalscene.co.uk too