aberdeen-music

teacher training

Ollie

In other cities outwith Aberdeen...not much chance of a job, as they're training too many people (depends on the subject though). Up here it's a tad better, apparently.

All trainee teachers are given a probationary year in a school, but after that you're on your own, hoping that someone will die or retire:up:

Personally I would suggest learning a trade like joinery instead. (Seriously!!!)

If it is primary postgraduate you are thinking about, then be careful. Two of my friends have just finished their probationary year and there are 38 full time jobs in the area for well over 100 people apparently. However there are some subjects secondary-wise where they wont be able to get enough of you, like English, Maths, Home Ec and Modern Languages (I think).

Aberdeenshire Council is crying out for teachers at the moment. My old school, Aboyne Academy was featured on Reporting Scotland one night to highlight the lack of teachers, especially in the science department. Even when I was there, just over 2 years ago now, there was shortages in some areas.

Guest DustyDeviada

It's quite an important job, and it's really frightening to see the amount of people who do it for the sake of using their degree and jokingly cry 'I hate kids, but fuck it, it's a living!'

Looking at no one in particular Mr Cynic. ;)

I'm 99% sure you won't get in to it for this coming year. There's hundreds of applications for a limited number of places in secondary and primary, and with secondary you're talking about smaller fractions per course you wish to teach. As far as I'm aware the interviews were all a few months back too. I'd also try and get some classroom experience first, because it's not much like you expact it to be.

I'm 99% sure you won't get in to it for this coming year. There's hundreds of applications for a limited number of places in secondary and primary, and with secondary you're talking about smaller fractions per course you wish to teach. As far as I'm aware the interviews were all a few months back too. I'd also try and get some classroom experience first, because it's not much like you expact it to be.

This man speaks the truth ...however remember Paul not every school is like jolly old St Machar:up:

however remember Paul not every school is like jolly old St Machar:up:

Them's the truth!!

To be honest, the amount of vacancies depend on what subject you are doing and where you are planning on working.

Aberdeen have lots of vacancies for certain subjects and very few for others. In general though, we there are more than say Dundee. Ollie, if its English you are doing I have heard that there are quite a few vacancies up here at the moment. Not sure how that will fluctuate in the next few years though.

My Probation year comes to an end in 2weeks and i have enjoyed every second. A lot of that is down to the excellent staff and pupils though, every school will be different.

Cheers for the info Matthew. I heard a vicious rumour you were considering taking up a career in teaching yourself - didn't experiencing my lessons put you off?

haha who said that?

the plan is to make it BIG with Holy Folks. If, somehow, that doesnt happen i was thinking of delving into teaching, but nothings set in concrete.

your lessons merely provided the catalyst; "if he can do it, surely i could"8-)

haha who said that?

the plan is to make it BIG with Holy Folks. If, somehow, that doesnt happen i was thinking of delving into teaching, but nothings set in concrete.

your lessons merely provided the catalyst; "if he can do it, surely i could"8-)

Cheeky monkey - I'm not that bad - look at the pupils they gave me to work with!:laughing:

Cannae remember who told me about your career aspirations. Is this your folks talking about "having something to fall back on just in case this music thing doesn't work out"?

Is this your folks talking about "having something to fall back on just in case this music thing doesn't work out"?

Its along those lines. Although last time i spoke to my Dad he was on the verge of jacking his full-time job to go on tour with a Pogues tribute band so he can hardly talk! This would leave my mum the sole bread-winner...as a teacher funnily enough.