aberdeen-music

Advice on Paris and Dusseldorf

RossP

I have just booked flights to Dusseldorf with 4 mates, as we plan to stay there for one night in September before getting a train through to Paris to stay there for 2 nights, since we're going to the France v. Scotland game :love:

Anyone been there?? Any recommendations on things to see and do??

What about hostels, any recommendations??

Anyone been on that train journey??

Funnily enough, we stayed in Dusseldorf for a scotland v. germany game a few years back (the game was actually at Dortmund though) and also at Paris for the 5-0 drubbing on Berti's debut.

Dusseldorf is a an industrial city so hasn't as much tourist detinations as some of the other german cities. plenty of bars in the city centre, though. Cologne, Dortmund and a few other large cities are all close by and reachable by train within the hour.

there's not much to say about Paris that you probably don't know - just be aware that the rugby world cup is on at the time so the game will be at the Parc De Princes and not at the Stade de France.

I was thinking about going to Paris on my own during the last week of September. As far as getting there goes, my plan is to fly to London then do the Eurostar thing? Has anyone got any advice on that? Obviously I've not done it before so I'm not really sure if it's the best way to go about getting there. What do you folks reckon?

Cheers,

Craig.

I was thinking about going to Paris on my own during the last week of September. As far as getting there goes, my plan is to fly to London then do the Eurostar thing? Has anyone got any advice on that? Obviously I've not done it before so I'm not really sure if it's the best way to go about getting there. What do you folks reckon?

Cheers,

Craig.

I've taken the Eurostar to both Paris and Brussels - would recommend it, it's a lot more interesting than the plane. You're only in the tunnel itself for less than half an hour.

apparently dusseldorf has the world's (or europe's) longest bar.. which basically takes up one side of a street. might be worth checking out! :cheers:

as for paris: stay at the YHA on the edge of town if you value your belongings.. stay in any other hostel if you dont. with five of you it might be better getting a cheap hotel.. more privacy! the eiffel tower is boring and over-rated.. the best stuff is the things you don't have to pay for.. like walking round montmartre or ile de la cit. in the evenings don't go out at Bastille like everyone says.. better and more authentic nightlife at rpublique (get the metro to Parmentier and go down rue oberkampf) or around place d'italie.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I'd imagine that the plane is easier and cheaper, but it's the experience I guess.

To be honest, Eurostar is a lot less hassle than flying now - especially once it moves into St Pancras. You can get return tickets to Paris for 59 with lots of availability, and there's always 50 tickets to Brussels on the go. Check-in is reasonable too, and Eurostar are good about letting people onto later trains if their earlier trains have been delayed.

Far more recommended than flying, anyway.

I went from Aberdeen to Paris on the train a couple of months ago and it was fairly cheap and relaxed. It was about a twelve hour trip but friends who flew at the same time took almost as long because of delays and cancelled connections. As others have mentioned, it should be quicker once the St Pancras terminal is up and running.

Thanks to all for the advice!

Ended up booking return flights from Dusseldorf to Paris for 45 (inc all taxes etc) on AirBerlin, which is pretty ace.

Staying in a Private 6 bed dorm in a Hostel in the town centre, that way we won't get anything stolen. We'll also maybe bring a airbed or two to sneak in the 4 or 5 extra folk who are now coming along too...

Really looking forward to this trip. The TartanArmy messageboard is predicting around 15,000 fans making the trip (despite only 4,000 or so tickets being made available in the away end). Big meet up at the Eiffel Tower with carryoots and footballs planned :love:

We should be able to get tickets, because we know folk that live in France. Unfortunately they'll be in the Home end, but by all accounts we definitely won't be alone. It could be another invasion akin to Wembley 67 n' all that