aberdeen-music

Exam/degree results

Metarie

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's an average, but I'm not certain.

If it's in an arts and social sciences subject at Aberdeen Uni then it's the class that you get the most credits in over all 3rd and 4th year courses or the highest class you get half your credits in i.e. if you get 50% of your credits at 2:1 and 50% at 2:2 then you get a 2:1. Not sure how it works anywhere else.

There are degrees that have a use?

Not any more.

The univerisities (there's one in every village now) throw them about like confetti.

The prerequisite for gaining a degree these days is the student having a pulse.

That's not a reflection on the students themselves but the quality of the "those who cannot do, teach" lecturers with little or no real world commercial experience. Either that or they're industry burnouts who can't hack it in the big bad world.

It was

Not any more.

The univerisities (there's one in every village now) throw them about like confetti.

That's not a reflection on the students themselves but the quality of the "those who cannot do, teach" lecturers with little or no real world commercial experience. Either that or they're industry burnouts who can't hack it in the big bad world.

It was

i dont think that is a fair reflection of things at all. Everyone I know worked hard to get into uni. They don't accept just anyone, you need the grades to get in.

The coursework is bloody hard as well. It is certainly not a breeze.

All degrees can give you labour market advantage, although increasingly post-graduate degrees (for certain industries) will give you an extra edge.

The lecturers that I have encountered at Aberdeen have close links with industries and do have a great deal of commercial experience.

how do they work out what overall degree you get?

i've got 14, 14, 14, 14, 15, 16, 17

i do law btw

that'd be a 2:2 so far. But if you have another year to go you can push it up. Also depends on the amount of credits each course is worth. Different subjects also calculate your degree differentLY. For instance in Sociology only your 3rd and 4th marks count for an honours degree.

uni is a fucking joke my mate said in one of his exams there were 3 guys behind him constantly speaking to one another and showing each other their scripts when he complained the invigilator told them to keep the noise down, as soon as he left they started again.

i ended up with an 11 for a project management exam and a 14 for project

you reap what you sow :)

looking at a 2:2 got one more year to try and bump it up to a 2:1

Guest DustyDeviada
i dont think that is a fair reflection of things at all. Everyone I know worked hard to get into uni. They don't accept just anyone, you need the grades to get in.

The coursework is bloody hard as well. It is certainly not a breeze.

All degrees can give you labour market advantage, although increasingly post-graduate degrees (for certain industries) will give you an extra edge.

The lecturers that I have encountered at Aberdeen have close links with industries and do have a great deal of commercial experience.

Well, it's just a fact that there are more universities now, in the past 20 years you've got the likes of RGU and Abertay springing up in recent years.

And it's also a fact that they are run as businesses and as a result it's almost impossible to fail or get chucked off a first or second year course, instructors are told not to fail anyone so the university doesn't lose their fees in future years.

Guest b-bert
Not any more.

It was

Yes and no.

Some degrees seem pointless, like the person earlier in the thread who doesnt plan to use it. What a waste of money (taxpayer and personal), unless the fun and experience of being a student was worth it?

I have just finished fourth year mechanical engineering at strathclyde. Though work experience matters almost more than the degree in the long run, engineers understanding the basics is crucial to make the standard of life we all enjoy.

Medical degrees there cant even be an argument.

McDonald's Manager 1: "Did they spell their name right on the form?"

McDonald's Manager 2: "Yes."

McDonald's Manager 1: "Hmm' date=' seems like they're over qualified."[/quote']

That should read:-

McDonald's Manager 1: "Did they spell their name right on the form?"

McDonald's Manager 2: "I don't know - I can't read."

Some degrees seem pointless, like the person earlier in the thread who doesnt plan to use it. What a waste of money (taxpayer and personal), unless the fun and experience of being a student was worth it?

That's the problem though, a lot of people don't understand that a general arts degree can be worth far more than the paper it's written on - after all, (for English), think about the wide range of things that it can be used in? A decent understanding of the language can open up so many doors and possibilities.