aberdeen-music

Gas

I've got bad GAS just now, I just can't hold in my love for Gibson guitars just now.

I'm not sure if I want an SG, an Explorer or a Les Paul. It's a tough choice.

I think I've proved Stripey's point. If I only had a certain amount of money, I'd get the best out of my budget, but just now, I've got plenty cash, so I'm not sure what to get :(

I've got bad GAS just now, I just can't hold in my love for Gibson guitars just now.

I think I've proved Stripey's point. If I only had a certain amount of money, I'd get the best out of my budget, but just now, I've got plenty cash, so I'm not sure what to get :(

You can always do a charity :))...

Allow me to meddle if I may?

Explorer - good guitar, but seems to be associated with METUUUUUL these days. Awkward shape.

Les Paul - for me the ultimate in looks & tone, but physically heavy and unbalanced when you're playing it. Still an iconic masterpiece.

SG - Lightweight and great compromise between Strat ergonomics and Gibson tone. Fab guitar - next on my shopping list!

but just now, I've got plenty cash

Fuckin' great innit? The dilemma is what NOT to buy :laughing:

Guest DustyDeviada

Somebody is selling a 2002 Les Paul Custom in the P&J today for 1000, could be a good buy, especially if you can knock them down a bit.

For what it's worth, I went through a seven year period where I had two jobs and very little responsibilites, so I had a decent amount of disposable income in that time and I was lucky enough to buy a few nice guitars, here are the main ones:

couch2.JPG

I bought them very carefully - they all do something different. One strat, one twin humbucker Gibson, one P90 Gibson, an electric 12 string, a Gretsch for jazzy or twangy stuff and a good acoustic. All of them do different things, no duplication there.

I just have one job now and more responsibilities in the form of wife, kid and bigger mortgage, but I'm pleased to have amassed a nice wee collection while the going was good that I can enjoy for the next few years.

Explorer - good guitar, but seems to be associated with METUUUUUL these days. Awkward shape.

Les Paul - for me the ultimate in looks & tone, but physically heavy and unbalanced when you're playing it. Still an iconic masterpiece.

SG - Lightweight and great compromise between Strat ergonomics and Gibson tone. Fab guitar - next on my shopping list!

I've found a Gibson Les Paul Classic for 880 brand new. I think I'm gonna see if I can get it. I'm sitting at 600 the now. I reckon I could get it by the end of next month if I don't spend all my money in London!

Somebody is selling a 2002 Les Paul Custom in the P&J today for 1000, could be a good buy, especially if you can knock them down a bit.

For what it's worth, I went through a seven year period where I had two jobs and very little responsibilites, so I had a decent amount of disposable income in that time and I was lucky enough to buy a few nice guitars, here are the main ones:

couch2.JPG

I bought them very carefully - they all do something different. One strat, one twin humbucker Gibson, one P90 Gibson, an electric 12 string, a Gretsch for jazzy or twangy stuff and a good acoustic. All of them do different things, no duplication there.

I just have one job now and more responsibilities in the form of wife, kid and bigger mortgage, but I'm pleased to have amassed a nice wee collection while the going was good that I can enjoy for the next few years.

What's the 12-stringer? Fender?

Ps

Your "Uncle Junior" signature phoaty is affy big. Thought about removing it? (Ooooooooooooh!) :popcorn:

Guest DustyDeviada
Your "Uncle Junior" signature phoaty is affy big. Thought about removing it? (Ooooooooooooh!) :popcorn:

I'll tell you what you can do with my signature phoaty my not-so-young friend... ;)

The 12 string is a Burns Double Six, favoured by the likes of Elvis Presley

elvis.jpg

The dude out of Franz Ferdinand

fransferdinand.jpg

And one M Knopfler ;)

burns12.jpg

Excellent guitar, best value guitar I have ever bought, only 289 from Peter Cook's.

so how many amps do you two have? o_O

I've just got the four.

• Hughes & Kettner Trilogy 100w head & H&K V30 4x12
  • Line6 Flextone III Plus
  • Roland Microcube
  • Peavy Backstage

I've also got one of Tony Iommi's old Laney 100w Klipp heads and a JCM800 stored away and am in negotiations for an ancient Vox AC30.

I have lots of GAS rather often.

Looking at ordering a custom ESP V in the not so distant future :up:

Currently sitting with:

ESP KH-2 Neck Thru Custom Shop

ESP Hanneman S&Key Urban Camo

Dean USA Custom DFH 'Dean From Hell' 80/150

Moon Custom Explorer (1/1) (yeah, I'm keeping it Dusty :up:)

ENGL S.E. EL34

ENGL Powerball

Marshall 1960A 4x12

Line 6 Spider II 212

I have a big list of desires aswell. Soon enough... :p

The 12 string is a Burns Double Six, Excellent guitar, best value guitar I have ever bought, only 289 from Peter Cook's.

Problem is it seems to make the player of it look really gay...

I love you guys though. Makes my Tele, Strat, Tokai and Big Baby look positively lean! Sure there's room in there for another one...

GAS - Gear Aquisition Syndrome.

How many of spend more time reading up about gear than practicing our instruments?

How many of us have more gear than talent?

Own up.

Ha, last night spent a good half hour reading the Guitarist review of the 52 tele hotrod. And at least 10 minutes just looking at the main picture. Man it's just beautiful.

To paraphrase Bongwater 'they do vintage 52 hot rods now, I want one'

So yup, that's me then.

Strange that you say that about the SG. I have a few Les Pauls, but lately I've been playing my Epi SG c/w Wizard P/ups more than anything else I've got

Also, let me know how you get on with the Vox. I might have a 63 for sale if the price is right.:up:

dustydeviada (i didnt want to quote the post because it was full of pics)

The guy from franz ferdinand is a total prick, as anyone who heard his "diaries" on radio 4 can attest.

ps nice collection of future firewood you have there.

im sure he is delighted to hear that, any more priceless thoughts of stripey?

Guest DustyDeviada

Yeah, lots of rock stars are total pricks, Van Morrison, Phil Collins, Mick Hucknall. I wasn't offering any opinion on the guy, just saying that he has a Burns Double Six.

Although the first Franz Ferdinand album was good, and I like "Do You Wanna" or whatever it was called.