aberdeen-music

Gas

Guest DustyDeviada

The catchy phrase that comes to my mind is "Too many poncey students and school kids who have done fuck all work in their lives and therefore can't afford decent gear being jealous of older folk who have worked hard for yonks and are now enjoying the fruits of their labour."

• Upvote 1

The catchy phrase that comes to my mind is "Too many poncey students and school kids who have done fuck all work in their lives and therefore can't afford decent gear being jealous of older folk who have worked hard for yonks and are now enjoying the fruits of their labour."

Go Dusty !!!

I'm in total agreement!

Someone said to me the other day "new Telecaster? hmph!, lucky for some eh?"

Luck has fuck-all to do with it.

Don't make me go into my "Four Yorkshire Men" routine here!

I'm currently in the Exec Lounge at ABZ (watching the Ibiza-bound peasants through the window :popcorn:) getting ready to go to work in a high-risk country, away from my family for weeks. That's the price I'm prepared to make in order to provide my family with a decent standard of living (and me with lots of high-end gear to go with my lack of ideas ;) ).

Some folk have the breaks, some don't, others (like me) work like fuck to get there.

Ach, dinnae listen to me - I'm full of nervous energy and caffeine.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

being that at least 2 of the people posting on this thread so far are in their teens, i don't really agree - how old are hate event and hairy scary mark, and what are their occupations? as i have said before, most serious musicians or talented people dont have time to fuck around buying pointless gear unless there is a genuine need for it. one high quality guitar and a decent backup for a different tone/emergency use is all that any guitarist in Aberdeen should need to have. i also find it hilarious that rich teenagers who spend this kind of money on gear (and everything else) say stuff like "but i save a packet cos i don't piss it all away down the pub". I can safely say that my vaguely active social life of drinking, dining and gigs doesn't come close to 100 a month, let alone being able to fork out for 2k guitars every other month, and i think that 40 year olds with 'career money' should find something a bit more sensible to blow their wads on.

edit - this is replying to dusty's post about moaning poncey students

Look after yourself. Is the Steinberger/Hohner packed?

You bet! I'll be like Tom Hanks in "Big" - remember his first night in the fleapit hotel? That'll be me.

Guitar is packed in my case - though I expect to be pulled up about it as it'll look like a rifle in the x-ray!

fetishising tools/equipment is absurd and slightly creepy. Fair enough if you work hard to earn money to buy the things you lust after, but i'll wager that the gearcost to output and talent ratio is dramatically skewed in most cases.

Hmmmmm...

I can see where you're coming from - it's the same thing in the biking world, 15,000 worth of Ducati and the same again in performance parts, tuning and poofy leathers for bikes that never leave the garage, owned by "riders" who can't handle them.

It's called "Conspicous Consumption"

...however, I'd rather collect guitars than paintings or ornaments or getting toatally shiters 3 nights a week and smoking 40 fags a day.

Personally speaking, I use my gear on daily basis and for 12-15 hours at least at weekends. So it's hardly collecting dust.

But that's just me....

Problem is it seems to make the player of it look really gay...

I disagree

At the end of the day, guitars are pieces of wood with some strings attached to them (usually). They are not going to alter your appearance. Yes, some guitars look better than others, I know that.

I really don't have any GAS, I have 3 cheap guitars (2 were from ebay). I also rarely practice. Simply spend any time writing songs. A guitar, to me, is simply a utensil that allows me to convey my ideas. Anyway, Jimmer does enough GAS for the whole band!:up:

Guest DustyDeviada
as i have said before, most serious musicians or talented people dont have time to fuck around buying pointless gear unless there is a genuine need for it.

I wouldn't claim to be a serious musician or a talented person.

Likewise, I don't see why I should limit myslef to "one high quality guitar and a decent backup for a different tone/emergency use". My strat sounds completely different to either of my Les Pauls, and my Gretsch sounds totally different to any of them. That's before you even start thinking about a 12 string electric or an acoustic, again totally different animals.

I can safely say that my vaguely active social life of drinking, dining and gigs doesn't come close to 100 a month, let alone being able to fork out for 2k guitars every other month, and i think that 40 year olds with 'career money' should find something a bit more sensible to blow their wads on.

First of all I've never spent two grand on a guitar, the most I've even spent was 1400 on my 54 Les Paul, and going on what 1400 would get me in Bruce Millers or R&B, I would say that was a good deal. And that was two years ago, my only purchase since then was a Squier 51 off ebay fro 70, no way could I afford to buy an "expensive" guitar every month or indeed for the forseeable future.

But go on then, enlighten me, what would be a more sensible thing for me to "blow my wad" on (oo-er) than a beautiful musical instrument that I can get years of enjoyment from and which will accumulate in value?

Guest Tam o' Shantie

How come you posted a picture with about 15 guitars of yours on it then? Do you really think that they will appreciate in value?

You could spend anything up to that sort of money on a gym equipment, a good suit, stocks & shares, home cinema gear, a deposit on an investment such as a flat, a once-in-a-lifetime holiday to a strange and exotic location, a wine cellar, home improvements, or start a savings account for your child. Or you could add a 19th guitar to your collection.

Guest DustyDeviada
How come you posted a picture with about 15 guitars of yours on it then? Do you really think that they will appreciate in value?

OK, first of all there were 6 guitars in the picture. And yes, I believe that if you buy a quality guitar at the right price it will almost certainly go up in value if you hold onto it for long enough. For example I bought a 1988 US Telecaster in 97 for 350, sold it in 2004 for 400. Not much of a profit, but I had years of fun with it in between.

Of the guitars in the photo, the Strat may not necessarily have increased in value on its own yet, but the fact that it is a Knopfler signature model which has actually been signed by Knopfler himself will probably push it in the right direction, not that I would ever sell it.

The 54 Les Paul is a very, very rare flametop model, probably less than 50 of them in the world so I would say that I would get more than I paid for it right now (I bought it in the US). Add the fact that Les Paul himself signed it and I have pictures of him with it, and yes, it's probably gone up too.

My Les Paul standard and Gretsch were both bought in the States for way less than they cost here, so I would say that I would get more than I paid for them as a result. The Burns 12 string probably hasn't gone up in value, but I only paid 289 for it. Likewise my Gibson J-45, but if I keep it in good nick it will appreciate if the cost of new Gibsons continues to go up.

As for the other suggestions:

gym equipment - Anyone who knows me knows that I don't need any work on my physique. ;)

a good suit - Markies will do me fine thanks. They just get trashed at work and end up getting chucked out eventually, no substitute for a musical instrument in my book.

stocks & shares - can go up as well as down ;)

home cinema gear - got a nice home cinema set up thanks, although I'm never allowed to turn it on now thanks to the baby.

a deposit on an investment such as a flat - own a house, or maybe I should say I have a mortgage

a once-in-a-lifetime holiday to a strange and exotic location - As I mentioned, I bought all these guitars when I had two jobs and no kids. Could afford good holidays as well at that point and usually went to America - where I bought these guitars!

a wine cellar - Any alcohol in the house just gets drunk immediately, but again I would question whether spending money on booze is a better use than buying nice guitars

home improvements - yup, the wife agrees with you on this one, hence no guitars for a while

or start a savings account for your child - good idea, although as I say all these guitars were bought before I had a child, and I think they will accumulate into a nice little nest egg for him. He can either play them or sell them once I'm away, either way he's laughing.

I don't think it's right for anyone to sit here and try to tell someone how to spend their hard earned cash. If Dusty wants(or wanted to) spend his hard earned cash on a nice shiny new guitar, then that's up to him. He's earned it. The instruments he's bought are of such quality, they are sure to appreciate in value. Good on him. I praise the man for spending his hard earned cash on something that he'll use and get such enjoyment out of.

Spend money on gym equipment? Home cinema? etc wtf? Seriously... is any of THAT going to appreciate in value? He asked for something more sensible than buying an instrument that would go up in value. At least if he runs into some sort of financial difficulties and he really HAD to sell something, he'd make a couple of grand from selling a high end guitar. Good guitars are an investment.

I have a pretty shitty job, I work in a bar. If I want a nice piece of equipment, I have to work and save hard for it. That makes me appreciate my gear more as I've never ever been handed any instrument on a plate. I've always worked for all of my gear.

All these people who sit here and say "oh do you really need all these guitars?" well... no, but I WANT them... and it's my choice... so you can get it right up ye.

I only own two guitars. I want a Gibson Les Paul and I'm currently saving to get one.

There seems to be some people with some serious problems in here!

What does it matter to anybody else if (or why) someone has a burning desire to buy another expensive guitar which won't make them play (or look) any better but that they personally just might get something out of? Look at it this way if it really is that bad then they'll tire of it and in 6 months they'll be selling it off half price. Bargain city you all win.

No I don't need another telecaster but I want it. And guess what, I can afford it. In fact I could afford two of them if push came to shove. Mind you the divorce might make it somewhat uneconomic. So any day soon a hot rod will be winging it's way in my direction.

Ha, ha, anybody wanna buy a Tokai ES-120 (going cheap)?

PS Hog - I know it doesn't make you gay, but you must admit it 'looks' to be a common theme! Of course not that looking (or being) gay is anything to be ashamed of I might add.

Christ - shit for brains. Having re-read the post above this one I would have been quicker just writing I agree with everything Mr Eriatarka says. Ho hum.

Hmmmmm...

I can see where you're coming from - it's the same thing in the biking world, 15,000 worth of Ducati and the same again in performance parts, tuning and poofy leathers for bikes that never leave the garage, owned by "riders" who can't handle them.

It's called "Conspicous Consumption"

...however, I'd rather collect guitars than paintings or ornaments or getting toatally shiters 3 nights a week and smoking 40 fags a day.

Personally speaking, I use my gear on daily basis and for 12-15 hours at least at weekends. So it's hardly collecting dust.

But that's just me....

I agree.

Everyone should have a right to choose what they spend their money on. Okay, it would be a bit daft to spend next months rent on a 4th JCM800 head or something. But if it's a choice between going to a crap pub and watching people getting drunk and being arses - of which I see enough of at work - or getting a bit of nice gear with some spare cash, then I know which I would spend my money on.

After being chased by African dudes with guns, or hanging off a 150mm ledge 200ft up in the air, or being locked in a room all night with no water or toilets etc before being deported, and generally living in hell holes etc etc etc......I'll buy what I want with the money I get. I've just ordered my Rolex, so I suppose that's wrong as well. Oh! and my wifes just ordered a new wee Mini Cooper for herself. Gee! lifes good when you work hard and earn a bit of dough. Live now, because life's to short.:up:

PS. I ride a 916 as well

good gear sounds better than average gear

i would rather watch a act who had smart tones, than an act who didnt.

when i watch an act who have/has gash gear and they turn it up loud, its hurts and is painful. when i watch an act who have smart gear and they turn it up, it is a sonic pleasure, it makes the ground move around me and its harmonious.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Spend money on gym equipment? Home cinema? etc wtf? Seriously... is any of THAT going to appreciate in value? He asked for something more sensible than buying an instrument that would go up in value. At least if he runs into some sort of financial difficulties and he really HAD to sell something, he'd make a couple of grand from selling a high end guitar. Good guitars are an investment.

Please tell me you are joking. You are coming across as a real moron if you think I was trying to suggest that these would be money-generating purchases. My point was that they were useful and beneficial things to acquire - for example, gym equipment can help to keep the owner in good physical health, and a good home cinema setup can create a relaxing and atmospheric environment in which to watch movies, which is something that many people do. So, if money is not a problem enough to restrict expensive guitar purchases, maybe someone with 'gas' should consider some of the ideas I suggested, when arguing "what the fuck else would I spend my money on - going out and getting pissed?".

Guest Tam o' Shantie
I agree.

Everyone should have a right to choose what they spend their money on. Okay, it would be a bit daft to spend next months rent on a 4th JCM800 head or something. But if it's a choice between going to a crap pub and watching people getting drunk and being arses - of which I see enough of at work - or getting a bit of nice gear with some spare cash, then I know which I would spend my money on.

After being chased by African dudes with guns, or hanging off a 150mm ledge 200ft up in the air, or being locked in a room all night with no water or toilets etc before being deported, and generally living in hell holes etc etc etc......I'll buy what I want with the money I get. I've just ordered my Rolex, so I suppose that's wrong as well. Oh! and my wifes just ordered a new wee Mini Cooper for herself. Gee! lifes good when you work hard and earn a bit of dough. Live now, because life's to short.:up:

PS. I ride a 916 as well

Holy shit, you must be the richest guy on the board...but I do know this dude that drives a fucking Porsche, so you might have some competition.