aberdeen-music

Gas

Guest DustyDeviada

Guilty as charged.

Although having a three month old baby does limit my playing time. When he's awake I'm doing stuff with him and when he's asleep I can't play in case I wake him up.

Still, I'll never feel guilty about having more gear than talent, much better spending my cash on musical instruments that are likley to appreciate in value than pissing it up a wall or spending on stuff that I'll never get my money back on like fancy clothes and fancy cars.

Guilty as charged.

Although having a three month old baby does limit my playing time. When he's awake I'm doing stuff with him and when he's asleep I can't play in case I wake him up.

Get a Boss Micro BR and some heidphones :up:

Still, I'll never feel guilty about having more gear than talent, much better spending my cash on musical instruments that are likley to appreciate in value than pissing it up a wall or spending on stuff that I'll never get my money back on like fancy clothes and fancy cars.

Agree - I've ditched the funcy cars (literally as well, in the case of my Landcruiser), clathes were never an issue, and I've sobered up.

Guest DustyDeviada

It is actually quite pointless to have all these fancy guitars and not to be able to play properly. Specially when you don't even use them frequently.

I disagree, for the reasons I stated above.

Guest DustyDeviada

Well I go on holiday as well.

I do play all my guitars, and I have sold good guitars just because they weren't getting played enough.

But how often do I have to play a guitar before it becomes acceptable to you that I own it? 5 hours a week? 10?

I usually have one out at a time, the rest are safely hidden away in their cases. I'll keep it out for a few weeks and then replace it with another one, usually saying to myself "Wow, I'd forgotten how ace this guitar is."

You could go on holidays with your family (if you have one) or alone and lots of others things to do :-)

Guitar is made to be played and not just left to hang on the wall, bcz you have nothing else to buy

Just 'cause you've got fuck all else to do because you have no friends and you're 15.

Guest DustyDeviada
Just 'cause you've got fuck all else to do because you have no friends and you're 15.

Ha!

I guess I shouldn't really do this, but I can't resist sharing the PM that Domino sent me the other day, and my reply.

Hey' date='

Could you delete your signature picture , the one with ''pretty good'' , its huge, and takes up quite space, especially when there is only few words in the post...

I'm not a mod, or anyone like that, but I'm sure you wouldn't like if everyone had a massive picture in their signature while you're trying to read a post[/quote']

Tell you what you can do with my signature picture my young friend.

You can shove it right up your arse.

Now piss off and stop wasting my fucking time.

• Upvote 1

Ha!

I guess I shouldn't really do this, but I can't resist sharing the PM that Domino sent me the other day, and my reply.

Hey' date='

Could you delete your signature picture , the one with ''pretty good'' , its huge, and takes up quite space, especially when there is only few words in the post...

I'm not a mod, or anyone like that, but I'm sure you wouldn't like if everyone had a massive picture in their signature while you're trying to read a post[/quote']

Tell you what you can do with my signature picture my young friend.

You can shove it right up your arse.

Now piss off and stop wasting my fucking time.

pretty....pretty good

I seem to practice a lot more for a month or so when I buy a new piece of gear, then the excitement wears off and it becomes 'normal'.

In defence, you do need the tools of the trade and having a good practice setup can make practicing more enjoyable

However, I think the most practice I ever did was when I owned NO gear (literally, the guitar was borrowed).

The most productive period of practice I have ever done was probably last summer and involved mainly using my computer + guitar. I used the amazing slow downer (to slow down CD to practice along to it), guitar rig (for amp modelling and metranome) and band in a box (for backing track).

So either way, I have no excuse for not doing more practice except jobs and life etc (which is also not an excuse).

i own hardly any gear. basically i use one korean guitar and a starter 10 watt amp to practice. i have a jcm800 for playing with other people, not going to use that much in my flat obviously.... i've also had a couple of behringer multi-fx things, but (surprise) they broke.

i wouldn't say lack of gear affects the ammount of time i practice; its more to do with how many other distractions i have. i go through phases where i have nothing else to do and get really into playing, doing so up to several hours a day. sometimes however i get a bit bored, get obsessed with pro evolution or whatever and of course often i just don't have that ammount of time available.

that said, for most of the time i've played i didn't care about gear, i was just interested in the playing side. the best amps amd guitars are worthless if you can't play them well; similarly a good guitarist will sound good through anything in my opinion.

I suppose that I've just come back from getting a second quote for that Vintage Hot Rod 52 tele I reckon that I must have it and pretty bad.

Oh and yeah talent definitely out weighed by the number of guitars I own (currently 4).

They do all get played, just badly!

I don't really get as much enjoyment out of expensive gear. I prefer boring workhorse equipment that can be broken/stolen and easily replaced/fixed... stuff that I'm not constantly worried about.

There is definately stuff I would like eventually (Gibson J-45, Fender Twin Reverb etc), but I ain't in any particular hurry to upgrade.

having a tight budget is good, it forces you to make careful decisions about what you actually *need* aswell as encouraging you to get the best out of what you've got.

You're absolutely correct.

It's also great being minted :up:

That way you can screw your nose up in disgust at the Westfield, Squier etc pish in guitar shops.

You say to the guy...

"Can I have a look at the Les Paul please?"

...and when he reaches for the Epiphone

"are you taking the piss bawbag? a Gibson, G.I.B.S.O.N."

"Ah'll fuckin' Epiphone you m'boy"

Jeez, I don't half talk some amount of shite!