aberdeen-music

What makes a good drummer?

Guest Bob

Things that make me like drummers more......

Plays a variety of beats. Not just the same stuff over again.

Plays in time (obviously)

Doesn't play far too loud.

Plays musically i.e playing with feel ... also sometimes drummers should actually play the 'song' as supposed to just a drum beat.

Not thinking they can sing when they cannot. The percentage of drummers who think they can sing is far greater than those who actually can sing well.

Ability to read rhythms and understand time signatures.

Knowledge and ability to tune drum kits. Every drummer I know tells me they know how to tune a drum kit but rarely actually do, even in recording situations.

Doesn't ask me for drum keys (I don't play drums. Why would I have a drum key?)

Ability to hit drums at times when I am not currently placing a microphone inside/beside them or some other reason why my ears are right next to them.

Attention to detail. Great drummers know exactly where and how hard to hit a drum or cymbal for every beat to create the best sound possible.

everything you have put there could be said for anyone in a band playing any instrument.

Any really good player at anything will already know all this.

For me the only realy important thing is being solid anything else is a bonus. You can have all the fancy parts in the world but if your not solid your pointless as a drummer.

Being able to play in time is surely the only real concern.

Style of doing so is personal preference.

What if that personal preference is out of sync with what the song requires? Most drummers, should, have the ability to keep time but not all are empathetic to the song/music/band.

everything you have put there could be said for anyone in a band playing any instrument.

Any really good player at anything will already know all this.

For me the only realy important thing is being solid anything else is a bonus. You can have all the fancy parts in the world but if your not solid your pointless as a drummer.

Drums are maybe more musical than we often give them credit for.

I like musicians to push themselves to their limits, however it shouldn't be at the expense of keeping in time or being solid.

Personal preference and style come down to a lot of what a drummer should play. However, with my favourite drummers, you can often tell what piece of music they are playing, just by hearing their drum beat (even when there is no other instruments being played). Either becuase it is a very memorable or imitates the other instruments in some way.

Guest bluesxman
What if that personal preference is out of sync with what the song requires? Most drummers, should, have the ability to keep time but not all are empathetic to the song/music/band.

What I meant was that whether someone (probably not a drummer themselves) prefers a very technical or a very basic drumming style is a personal choice aside from the need to play in time, which to me is the most important thing for a good drummer, being technically adept is not a priority, it's just a greater skill level.

Agree that the drummer in any band should be playing in a manner that suits the music, nothing worse than seeing someone throw in all kinds of out of place fills because they are obviously proud to have learned them and want to use them when they are totally inappropriate.

Drums are maybe more musical than we often give them credit for.

I like musicians to push themselves to their limits, however it shouldn't be at the expense of keeping in time or being solid.

Personal preference and style come down to a lot of what a drummer should play. However, with my favourite drummers, you can often tell what piece of music they are playing, just by hearing their drum beat (even when there is no other instruments being played). Either becuase it is a very memorable or imitates the other instruments in some way.

whats this we pish? I am a drummer and yes they are more musical then you seem to give them credit for.

A drummer should be able to sound better* than a machine. Most can't. The ones that can are like fucking gold-dust. Does anyone know any? I want one for some gigs later in the year.

*better = groovyness, knowing when to be busy and when to pull back (dynamics), integration with the actual song, coolness of the sound of the kit itself, energy (ie no beer), lots of make-you-wanna-dance-ness, and most of all the ability to keep it simple but make it sound good. A brain is often also useful.

A drummer should be able to sound better* than a machine. Most can't. The ones that can are like fucking gold-dust. Does anyone know any? I want one for some gigs later in the year.

Stephen Morris can do the above and he's probably at a loose end now New Order have finally had the sense to call it a day. Give him a call.

Fuck Namby Shite

I'l drink absinthe and speak about weird sexual practises with someone who is not the person I think they are.

I will frequently speak about coapy baps and adventures with pop stars.

I will be scary and entertaining.

It will be like a rollercoaster mixed with a few Jack Danilels on a horror train.

I will probably be sick on the quine that plays keyboards.

And tak the piss oot o the bass players kilt.

But his wife is a richt.

So I'll gae it a go.

PUNK? I'll gae ye punk ye saft Soothern bufty boy.

It's a shame pig boy cana dae it, his hair is great, but I'll hae nae bother wearing a wig or hat if ye demand that sort o thing in yer itenary o prerequisites to play in yer gan nae way the noo band.

Och AYE I AM FAIR FULL O THE COMPLIMENTS THE NICHT , I am drunk, so catch me whilst ye can, I'll dae it for nithing cos I like yer groovy tunes, cheers Biz

I'l drink absinthe and speak about weird sexual practises with someone who is not the person I think they are.

I will frequently speak about coapy baps and adventures with pop stars.

I will be scary and entertaining.

It will be like a rollercoaster mixed with a few Jack Danilels on a horror train.

I will probably be sick on the quine that plays keyboards.

And tak the piss oot o the bass players kilt.

But his wife is a richt.

So I'll gae it a go.

PUNK? I'll gae ye punk ye saft Soothern bufty boy.

It's a shame pig boy cana dae it, his hair is great, but I'll hae nae bother wearing a wig or hat if ye demand that sort o thing in yer itenary o prerequisites to play in yer gan nae way the noo band.

Och AYE I AM FAIR FULL O THE COMPLIMENTS THE NICHT , I am drunk, so catch me whilst ye can, I'll dae it for nithing cos I like yer groovy tunes, cheers Biz

Aye aye Biz, I mine the first time I got drunk as well. You'll learn to handle it in time.:up:

The responses in this thread remind me of a scene in The Office where David Brent is asked what changes he has been making to cut costs and he reels off a list of transparent managerial remarks such as 'improved efficiency, increased profits' (or something similar).

I assume anyone that says a good drummer is someone who can 'keep time' has been hugely unsuccessful in their drummer recruitment process and has potentially had to suffer many afternoons with musically inept stick-wielding incompetents?

As with any other instrument, I like a drummer with enough talent to exert their own character through their playing and remain responsive to what else is happening.

gaes a job

If you are REALLY good I will do it for free, otherwise you will have to pay me.

I charge very reasonable rates and am pretty tasty at quick studio writing and recording.

I prefer live performances where everyone dresses up and makes a richt spectacle o themselves, stuff like Scunner and 16 again, but dinna let that pit ye aff, I am great at daeing namby pamby percussion to folky pish tae, although I am presently looking to collaberate with someone who needs electronic drums .

I prefer doing dancy reggae up tempo stuff, but can easily adapt to most styles, but nae Jazz, oh no.

I also teach drums, so gaes a shout if ye want to learn how to bash the fuck oot o something withoot getting arrested, cheers Biz Oohnicekit.jpg