aberdeen-music

What makes a good drummer?

Guest Bob

I prize consistent, solid playing above all else. I've played with a few drummers over the years and I've found that while fancy drum solos and beats are all well and good, great time keeping is the trait I value above all others in a drummer.

I think playing with Travis Barker would be a pain in the ass. Playing with Josh Freese would be better.

I prize consistent, solid playing above all else. I've played with a few drummers over the years and I've found that while fancy drum solos and beats are all well and good, great time keeping is the trait I value above all others in a drummer.

I think playing with Travis Barker would be a pain in the ass. Playing with Josh Freese would be better.

Get a sequencer

Guest DustyDeviada

I like the drummers on those old Stax and Atlantic soul records, nothing fancy, keeping a cool groove and a steady beat. A "Memphis" sort of sound if you will.

In my opinion, what makes a good drummer is the abilty to lock in with the bass player. so yeah timing is a good thing.

also listening to the rest of the band is a good thing..instead of just playing the same stuff over and over again.

Yeah I know a 'feel' drummer. He can't stop touching me...

That's how rumours start young man.

A drummer that writes, plays and records his own music is best, as far as he is concerned...

8-):p

All that aside though... Playing for the 'song' is all important. Same for any instrument

Things that make me like drummers more......

Plays a variety of beats. Not just the same stuff over again.

Plays in time (obviously)

Doesn't play far too loud.

Plays musically i.e playing with feel ... also sometimes drummers should actually play the 'song' as supposed to just a drum beat.

Not thinking they can sing when they cannot. The percentage of drummers who think they can sing is far greater than those who actually can sing well.

Ability to read rhythms and understand time signatures.

Knowledge and ability to tune drum kits. Every drummer I know tells me they know how to tune a drum kit but rarely actually do, even in recording situations.

Doesn't ask me for drum keys (I don't play drums. Why would I have a drum key?)

Ability to hit drums at times when I am not currently placing a microphone inside/beside them or some other reason why my ears are right next to them.

Attention to detail. Great drummers know exactly where and how hard to hit a drum or cymbal for every beat to create the best sound possible.

a drummer should be able to make people dance.

love from christy

Totally agree.

All the double-bass drum power drumming in the world doesn't make me smile as much as someone like Meg White just pounding a floor tom. I've never wanted to be able to play drums at 100mph an hour or do ridiculously intricate fills, to me that's just drumming as a sport not as music. I'd rather my drumming made someone dance than breaking the landspeed record behind the kit.