aberdeen-music

Phil Collins

Stripey

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist.

Guest DustyDeviada

No, I disagree, his solo work is clearly superior. The songs he came up with for the Tarzan movie were brilliant, and in no way irritating as hell. They even won him an Oscar, so they must be good.

Yes, it is indeed "Hip To Be Square".

Where's my copy of The Shield, ye bas?

Back on topic, Genesis were featured on The Seven Ages of Rock a few weeks ago. Albeit it was the Peter Gabriel era it was still quite interesting to witness and listen to.

Loved the video for Land Of Confusion, Fluck and Law at their very best.

InvisibleTouch was a superb album