aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
saf-one

[GIG] The Needles - Acoustic Set @ Musa

I think they just want to try out different things music-wise. They've been in together eleven years now, which is much longer than the lifespan of most bands. They'll still be around and making music, they're just going to expand their boundaries a bit.

The Mighty Alf is the man filling the (big) boots of Paul on the live front...A great Job he does too. If any of you saw them at Skye or at the Camden barfly recently you'll know what I mean.

Paul is still writing and producing with the Needles but it's looking possible that this could be the last summer of the Needles.

(Resons will be explained later once a decision has been made)

There's other projects in the pipeline the boys are busy working away on.

They have already performed a couple small gigs in Glasgow with one of the projects.... which have received great feedback.

The Musa gig is almost certain to be their last Acoustic gig in Aberdeen.

At least one more live one will be arranged. ...then who knows.

I wonder if Dave will bring his wee fiddle. I really enjoyed the set they played at The Globe last year.

Will Paul be playing at this gig?

Paul won't be at this gig, unfortunately. He's holed up in his den in Glasgow, planning the next move.

The Band will be on from about 9pm.

The 4 door fee is the price Musa set.

It's a small place and the band are gonna do a long set so you should get your moneys worth....hopefully.

Probably not the best venue to see the Needles. Good performance from the boys, though. Get them back in a proper venue (ie. one with a bar and not serving food) soon before they mushroom into something else.

I'm sure I read somewhere else that this gig was free. 4 is tadge steep for an acoustic set with no support.

Ouch, that's pretty hefty considering the venue uses public money...

It was mildy hefty but Musa was lovely. The acoustics were wonderful and the guys sounded great - with a double set to boot.

The venue was a bit odd for going to see bands in as you really had to be seated and it was table service. I'd like to go back for a meal as the food looked delicious but I'm not sure if it worked going to see a band like the needles there. The music seemed to be incidental to the food/wine.

Care to elaborate?

I know they got help to restore the building, but I think that's as far as it went.

Your a laugh a minute with your ill placed un-thought out righteousness. I'm not saying it was a fair price but the snide little remarks you make across these boards at times gets on my tits. MUSA recieved funding to address issues with the building to restore it. Nothing else as far as I know. It's a business, maybe you will grasp the concept someday.

You caught me in a particulary annoyed at the world mood by the way. Although on the news today, finally, the government are admitting to the ongoing and growing 'huge' input from the creative sector to this country's economy. (For another thread)

LONG LIVE THE NEEDLES!

Your a laugh a minute with your ill placed un-thought out righteousness. I'm not saying it was a fair price but the snide little remarks you make across these boards at times gets on my tits. MUSA recieved funding to address issues with the building to restore it. Nothing else as far as I know. It's a business, maybe you will grasp the concept someday.

You caught me in a particulary annoyed at the world mood by the way. Although on the news today, finally, the government are admitting to the ongoing and growing 'huge' input from the creative sector to this country's economy. (For another thread)

That's the thing though Jim, it doesn't seem particularly right that a business that received public cash to do up their premises should then charge such amounts.for things. I could understand it if The Needles had themselves said "let's charge lots!" but for the venue to do so just verges on greed - and will be the death of them.

You know me, I demand value from public money..but at the same time,

To be honest (in reference to your mentioning of the government) - I do believe that it plays an important part, but we have to be incredibly careful to ensure that it's not based on increases in public money being made to cover the costs of the creative sector. I'm personally starting to believe that money should be targetted towards community-based projects rather than largescale ones - for instance, why isn't there a public art venue in somewhere like Cults?