aberdeen-music

Renting/contract help please...

Sorry about this, I'm not really sure who to ask for help about this..

Long story short, our Landlord has sent us a letter which we only received today. It was first class, so it was sent in the last couple of days. The letter is dated May 31st.

They want us to sign another contract to stay here for the next year (we've already been here a year) AND they want to increase our rent by 70. Our withstanding contract says that after we have been here a year we can stay here month by month at the original agreed price. It doesn't say anything about rent increases or having to sign a new contract.

I put down the date we got the letter because they want us to send them a cheque for the arrears for June.

So basically, they want to increases our rent by 70 starting from the 1st June, and the letter they sent us is dated 31st May.

Surely they can't do this to us?

We've been on the phone to him just a couple of weeks ago to say that we're going to stay on for a year, and he didn't say anything about new contracts or rent increases then, and also, we were on the phone to him THIS WEEK because our roof was leaking and he failed to mention it to us then.

:swearing:

Sounds rather dodgy!!!

You should have a short assured tenancy with your landlord, and there should be reasonable notice given to renew tenancy and advise of rent increases. I would take advice

Try CAB or the friendly bunch at Aberdeen Cyrenians 647360

Larry

Thanks, Larry, I really appreciate that. I live with my BF and as he's finished Uni for the summer, he's going to CAB, but thanks for that number, I'll give that to him when he's finished ranting on the phone about our landlord to his parents!

Meanwhile, I've already been online and found 2 possibilities should we be moving out.

It's really crazy that we have to give him 40 days notice if we want to move out yet he can print off a letter on the 31st of May saying that our rent is increasing the next day!!!.

You could say I'm quite pissed off right now. He spoiled my night of designing my next tattoo!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Sorry about this, I'm not really sure who to ask for help about this..

Long story short, our Landlord has sent us a letter which we only received today. It was first class, so it was sent in the last couple of days. The letter is dated May 31st.

They want us to sign another contract to stay here for the next year (we've already been here a year) AND they want to increase our rent by 70. Our withstanding contract says that after we have been here a year we can stay here month by month at the original agreed price. It doesn't say anything about rent increases or having to sign a new contract.

I put down the date we got the letter because they want us to send them a cheque for the arrears for June.

So basically, they want to increases our rent by 70 starting from the 1st June, and the letter they sent us is dated 31st May.

Surely they can't do this to us?

We've been on the phone to him just a couple of weeks ago to say that we're going to stay on for a year, and he didn't say anything about new contracts or rent increases then, and also, we were on the phone to him THIS WEEK because our roof was leaking and he failed to mention it to us then.

:swearing:

Well, as far as I understand it, yes and no. A contract for rental, say a lease up to a year, means that during the lease they can't increase your rent...but once that lease expires, until you sign a new lease, usually there's a provision to allow you to go month to month...and often, there's a small increase as an incentive for you to sign another year long contract. But once that contract's over, they are allowed to increase your rent since you're not protected by that contract, if you see what I mean. As far as not giving you one month's notice, I think that's pretty shifty, but probably legal...again, once the contract is over, both parties are in a much looser, and less secure position.