aberdeen-music

Practising at home.

Fast Caz

Here is the dealio :

Im practising some thingy magigs on my drums from about 6:30pm til about 7:15 when i hear some furious banging and what not at the door.

Neighbour starts giving me a series of insults and starts running a load off about her kids being in bed , one of them having ms and how they have school tomorrow.

I apoligised and told her that i never noticed the time , she calls me a cunt and that i have no respect for others and walks away crying and nae letting me finish speaking to her on a face to face , repestable manner but she refuses and goes off to her home which is four doors away.

Now my rents and i have never had any problem from any other neighbour in the street apart from her, i've been playing my drums here from about five years.

I've checked various sites regarding my rights about playing at the time of day and so on but with no luck.

So is anyone actually in the know regarding the scenario?

Am i in the wrong or is this fat whore just being well a whore?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well,the best thing to do would be electric drums or pads for drums.

Anyway, Not sure about UK rules, but probably there aren't too many rules or aren't at all about the level of noise at day time. Probably there is a time at night when you're not allowed to

7 or 7.15 seems pretty early. I'm sure my sister said something about being able to play until 8, it might even be later. Ideally you should come to some kind of agreement with your neighbour obvz - but she's being pretty unreasonable it seems. I mean, in college, we aren't allowed to play until after 6pm because apparently earlier disrupts people working.. there must be more than an hour per day you're allowed to play!

We had the same problem a couple of years ago in my last band. Basically we practised at our Drummer's place after school (it was the best place for us given we all lived in Ballater and Aboyne at the time, gutted) twice a week for about two years, and we never heard a word until a few months before we were all fucking off to uni. I think we were practising at like 5-6pm, nothing totally unreasonable, when suddenly our drummer's crazy neighbour (who we christened "Paddy," because he was Irish, how fucking clever were we?) thumped on the door and went on some crazy tirade.

Anyway, eventually the neighbour in question agreed to let us practice between certain hours, which were pretty much the same hours we were practising anyway, no big deal. Eventually though he kept coming through and telling us that we were playing too long, even tho we only practised in between the bloody hours that he gave us... blah blah blah... long story short, it ended up giving us fuck all time to practice, and we were shit scared to challenge him at the time :down:.

Our drummer tried playing with pads but they sounded shite, so we ended up sneaking in a couple of practices when the dodgy neighbour wasn't around instead :up:.

Might a good idea to talk to your neighbour, but that really depends on how reasonable she is I guess.

Good luck, I feel your pain.

Try thinking of it from the point of view of a Mother with a young family that has to listen to you with no escape... I'm of the view that drums should be padded to hell or practiced elsewhere, not where you have neighbours. Common sense should prevail surely. You have neighbours, drums are not neighbour friendly.

Well since she lives four doors away ( not even attached to my house ) it shouldn't have anything to do the wall thickness.

I spoke to one of my neighbour who lives in the house right beside mine and she say does not mind it when i drum.

So with regards to the whore neighbour i have came to the conclusion she has a complete lack of tolerence to my drumming , and this will go on and on until i get my first asbo or a noise abatement slip WOHO i can't wait.

We had the same problem a couple of years ago in my last band. Basically we practised at our Drummer's place after school (it was the best place for us given we all lived in Ballater and Aboyne at the time, gutted) twice a week for about two years, and we never heard a word until a few months before we were all fucking off to uni. I think we were practising at like 5-6pm, nothing totally unreasonable, when suddenly our drummer's crazy neighbour (who we christened "Paddy," because he was Irish, how fucking clever were we?) thumped on the door and went on some crazy tirade.

Anyway, eventually the neighbour in question agreed to let us practice between certain hours, which were pretty much the same hours we were practising anyway, no big deal. Eventually though he kept coming through and telling us that we were playing too long, even tho we only practised in between the bloody hours that he gave us... blah blah blah... long story short, it ended up giving us fuck all time to practice, and we were shit scared to challenge him at the time :down:.

Our drummer tried playing with pads but they sounded shite, so we ended up sneaking in a couple of practices when the dodgy neighbour wasn't around instead :up:.

Might a good idea to talk to your neighbour, but that really depends on how reasonable she is I guess.

Good luck, I feel your pain.

I keep meaning to look at electric drums after that charade, 'cos I really don't practice at all these days. I only really play when at band practice (at Captain Toms) or a gig.

Well since she lives four doors away ( not even attached to my house ) it shouldn't have anything to do the wall thickness.

I spoke to one of my neighbour who lives in the house right beside mine and she say does not mind it when i drum.

So with regards to the whore neighbour i have came to the conclusion she has a complete lack of tolerence to my drumming , and this will go on and on until i get my first asbo or a noise abatement slip WOHO i can't wait.

Call environmental health yourself. Get them to take a measurement when you're drumming while they're standing next to/or in if she'll let them her house. They'll tell you if it's above levels or not and it'll also point out to her that she's in the wrong if your drumming is below antisocial levels.

One of my neighbours called Environmental Health one day which I was well pissed off about. Has no-one ever heard of coming to speak to someone if they have a problem? I would have been quite willing to listen to them and fit my drumming in with a time that suited everyone.

Try thinking of it from the point of view of a Mother with a young family that has to listen to you with no escape... I'm of the view that drums should be padded to hell or practiced elsewhere, not where you have neighbours. Common sense should prevail surely. You have neighbours, drums are not neighbour friendly.

Neighbours have always came first with regards to my drums , she lives four fecking house away and the neighbours in between have not said a thing to me or my rents.

*edit* Conclusion two : I'll let her calm her nerves abit and speak to her tomorrow about and see if we can come to some sort of reasonable deal.

Call environmental health yourself. Get them to take a measurement when you're drumming while they're standing next to/or in if she'll let them her house. They'll tell you if it's above levels or not and it'll also point out to her that she's in the wrong if your drumming is below antisocial levels.

To be honest i've never thought about that but i will get onto it.

:up:

Used to stay on a flat on Rose street and my stoner bam neighbours downstairs would thump bang and play music at all hours of the day and night... Took my kit home a few times and let rip quite early in the morning. I would have hated to be underneath me, satistfying though. They were a bit thick though and It never did have the intended effect :(

well but she doesnt seem to be nice either, does she? :-)

Noise nuisance and neighbour disputes : Directgov - Home and community

Does your neighbor has a dog or other noisy thingy?;]

theres no point to worry about her if she isn't even atached to your house ;D

Alot of the neighbours can often be heard alot of the time arguing and incredible levels of noise and there is an abundance of kids who play and make noise all the time ( The latter i do not mind at all ).

No dogs though.

To be honest i've never thought about that but i will get onto it.

:up:

It puts you in good stead as it makes you look as though you want to come up with a solution and if you get the enviro's on your side you're onto a winner. Plus it'll just make her look like a cunt if she's really over reacting :p

i'd say talk to her.

when i was in TUH, we played in the singers garage. His neighbour across the road complained to us a few times. 1 time a bike got nicked in the area and the police were lookin around the doors (lookin for suspicias (sp?) folk) we asked the cop right there what we should do. his words were around "well aslong as you're not playing till back of 10, i wont do anything."

so we were given till 10pm. still only played till back of 8 though.

*edit* Conclusion two : I'll let her calm her nerves abit and speak to her tomorrow about and see if we can come to some sort of reasonable deal.

That's the first thing you should do.

Speaking as someone who has recently been through a lengthy neighbour dispute (which ended with the neighbour getting an ASBO and appearing in court after trying to assault me with a shillaly), the whole thing would have been a lot easier if he'd tried to reason with us about our complaints (he was keeping a fuckload of german shephards in a one bedroom top floor flat). Instead he got more dogs, started breeding the fuckers and ignored our attempts to sort it out amicably.

Oh and personally, I'd pad the drums. If you're just practicing yourself and not with a band what's the big deal?

I wouldn't have a problem with the time you're practicing, I think making noise upto 10pm on weeknights is acceptable, althogh obviously it depends on the individual circumstances.

seconded - you're completely at your neighbour's mercy if you have an acoustic drum-kit. Be as polite as possible, point out you're going to trouble to make sure you don't bother her, and agree a time when she's out or won't be bothered.

Or, move to my flat, where I can rehearse with piano, synth, laptop, drums, 2 guitar amps and a bass without complaint. :princess:

Playing drums... neighbours complaints....

The best thing to do is be grown up and civilised. Ask all your neighbours when they are at work or what time their children are at school/go to bed. This way you dont tread on toes and if they complain outwith these sensible times(during the day until about 6p.m/7p.m), tell them to get a job or join in... Not sure about the law on this one but common sense and understanding will prevail everytime. Peace. C.