aberdeen-music

Manics @ The Music Hall

Stephen

In your opinion.

I cannot put Send Away the Tigers down. I love it.

Lifeblood is one the worst albums I own. Not just one of the worst, one of the most dissapointing.

I'd rather they settled into to making decent mature pop than made embarassing attempts at reliving their glory days. Plus Send Away the Tigers is lyrically worse, but that's only to be expected as Nicky has been on a slippery slope for a long time now.

I'd rather they settled into to making decent mature pop than made embarassing attempts at reliving their glory days. Plus Send Away the Tigers is lyrically worse, but that's only to be expected as Nicky has been on a slippery slope for a long time now.

There's nothing embarrasing about it. Why are they reliving? Because it's back to guitars? It's not as if Nick's writing about culture, alienation, boredom and despair.... It's a new album with the usual overblown lyrics, but it hits the spot for me. And it's infinitely better to hear Jimmy Dean spitting out solos and raising his voice as opposed to processed drumbeats and polished synths. The music on Lifeblood is turgid, uninspiring and comes over like a poor New Order pastiche. The lyrics are appaling, too, 1985 excluded (one of my all time favourite Manics songs and indeed lyrics.) I mean, I Live To Fall Asleep? Surely one of the worst songs ever recorded. The Love of Richard Nixon is clumsier than the man who wrote it. Cardiff Afterlife - "Makes no sense at all?" Aye, the whole bloody song makes no sense and ruins the sentiment. Empty Souls - "Collapsing like the Twin Towers - Falling down like April showers" Awful. I'm picking bits out, but I just don't get it.

I for one can't wait for the gig(s) - I'm heading down to Edinburgh the day after they are up here - and hearing the new material live. Everyone else's loss if they don't like the new stuff.

"Oh good god I feel like a liberal."

I think SATT has some of Nicky's strongest post-EMG lyrics on there, Rendition and The Second Great Depression are probably my two highlights. I love Imperial Bodybags because it has the classic Manics feeling of looking at a political issue from the opposite angle of pretty much every other band, much like they did on Archives of Pain (plus it's set to a tune that sounds like Hole playing Brand New Cadillac).