aberdeen-music

boss blues driver pedal wanted

Graham

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
Sorry I could never part with my BD-2!

Just for anyone who may be interested, I did the following mod to my BD-2 and it completely transformed the pedal.

Monte Allums Mods - Individual Pedal Mods

Well worth the 15 or so it costs.

i wasnt too impressed with his mods, i started out modding by using folk like this but then realised the parts he sells are basic and cheap to save cash. i.e carbon film resistors which i dont think sound as good as metal film and also he uses tantalum 1uf caps instead of panasonic metal film 1uf which make a huge difference. also the depth of his mods i thought was basic as theres lots more that can be done to the pedals but i think thats just a case of saving cash instead of giving customers more.

be wary like cos you get customs tax for the kits as i found with one o them. your really best buying the instruction sheets and then buying the parts in the uk!

i wasnt too impressed with his mods, i started out modding by using folk like this but then realised the parts he sells are basic and cheap to save cash. i.e carbon film resistors which i dont think sound as good as metal film and also he uses tantalum 1uf caps instead of panasonic metal film 1uf which make a huge difference. also the depth of his mods i thought was basic as theres lots more that can be done to the pedals but i think thats just a case of saving cash instead of giving customers more.

be wary like cos you get customs tax for the kits as i found with one o them. your really best buying the instruction sheets and then buying the parts in the uk!

Pretty different to my experience then!

I have done two of his mods and each one has totally transformed the pedal. As a DIY enthusiast, I'm delighted that someone will do all the leg work for me, package it all up with some easy to follow instructions and not charge the earth. If I had to search out all the bits myself, I would end up having to buy in quantites far greater than I would need to mod one pedal. Plus I'd have to spend a fair while looking for the parts online, and most parts places I've visited required a minimum spend of 10 or more before they will let you order anything.

I am perfectly happy with the mods I have done. They have been completely hassle free, and extremely effective. Fair play to you for tweaking things beyond that level, but personally I couldn't be bothered. The moment it stops being fun, I don't see the point.

Pretty different to my experience then!

I have done two of his mods and each one has totally transformed the pedal. As a DIY enthusiast, I'm delighted that someone will do all the leg work for me, package it all up with some easy to follow instructions and not charge the earth. If I had to search out all the bits myself, I would end up having to buy in quantites far greater than I would need to mod one pedal. Plus I'd have to spend a fair while looking for the parts online, and most parts places I've visited required a minimum spend of 10 or more before they will let you order anything.

I am perfectly happy with the mods I have done. They have been completely hassle free, and extremely effective. Fair play to you for tweaking things beyond that level, but personally I couldn't be bothered. The moment it stops being fun, I don't see the point.

i never meant that his mods were terrible, i just mean that there is so much more specially with the bd-2 that can improve it even more

(all down to taste) . he hardly touched the surface on the pedal but i think that is just a cost issue and same with the type of parts he uses - but like you said it does improve the sound though. if you want i can send you over some instructions to further improve the pedal. some more component changes if you ever want to delve deeper just gimme a pm with your email, if you can get a hold of some silver mica caps theres about 4 of them that can give a real grunt to the bd-2 if you put them in.

i think modding is great fun and really rewarding. if your like me you will maybe get more curious about it and end up designing your own pedal. am in the middle of that amd also away to build my first amp.

have a look at this website as well. DIYstompboxes.com Welcome

you can find heaps of projects and info on modding pedals further than those kits can do.