aberdeen-music

[GIG] The Twilight Sad + Household + Kartta @ The Tunnels

Guest idol_wild

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest idol_wild
that band sound ace on the mp3s, why have i not heard of em before. im out of touch.

smart poster too

I was the same - I was put onto them by Hugh. They sound even better on record. Lush as fuck.

i was suprised at the sna patrol support but playing the O2 arena would be good fun, i would like to see the modern day snow patrol fans poop themselves and the old snow patrol fans realise that they need to stop listening to a band which have turned into, in all the worst ways "dad rock"

p.s. if you have ever heard fennesz (ta donny), belong or other soundscapy noise/avant garde acts you'll see similarities.

I've heard little Fennesz, but that's just a similarity to somebody else's sound, and if anything such a similarity makes them less avant garde. Avant garde isn't really a genre of music, genres generally being defined by their sound, but just an approach to making music and a committal to "pushing the boundaries" or being at the vanguard of something new. It's fair to that the Twilight Sad are unsuitable of such a description, as good as they may be. Sorry to be pedantic, but I just think such hyperbole is as bad as NME calling the Fratellis album "the most important album you could own".

I've heard little Fennesz, but that's just a similarity to somebody else's sound, and if anything such a similarity makes them less avant garde. Avant garde isn't really a genre of music, genres generally being defined by their sound, but just an approach to making music and a committal to "pushing the boundaries" or being at the vanguard of something new. It's fair to that the Twilight Sad are unsuitable of such a description, as good as they may be. Sorry to be pedantic, but I just think such hyperbole is as bad as NME calling the Fratellis album "the most important album you could own".

or maybe it's just an attempt to generate some interest in a gig by a little known band who deserve to be heard by more people while giving a fairly accurate description of their sound for those who might be interested but haven't heard them yet. one man's vague genre is another mans opportunity for anal pedantry.

or maybe it's just an attempt to generate some interest in a gig by a little known band who deserve to be heard by more people while giving a fairly accurate description of their sound for those who might be interested but haven't heard them yet. one man's vague genre is another mans opportunity for anal pedantry.

Well given that "avant garde" is not a sound, it is not a fairly accurate way of describing them.

Guest idol_wild
Well given that "avant garde" is not a sound, it is not a fairly accurate way of describing them.

The funny thing is: I didn't even describe them as absolute avant garde. The same way that I didn't describe them as absolute shoegaze or post-punk.

Sorry to be pedantic.

The funny thing is: I didn't even describe them as absolute avant garde. The same way that I didn't describe them as absolute shoegaze or post-punk.

Sorry to be pedantic.

I never said you did and it depends what you mean by absolute. I don't think you can really be avant garde in increments, you either are avant garde or you are not. That's not to say you can't be other things in addition to avant garde. Anyway, decent band, well done on booking them and I hope to attend.

Jesus, stop banging on about semantics! Who gives a rats ass what the technical specifics of the nature of their 'sound' are, or the meaning of the words that they're being associated with. Their music is pretty good.

Guest idol_wild
I never said you did and it depends what you mean by absolute. I don't think you can really be avant garde in increments, you either are avant garde or you are not. That's not to say you can't be other things in addition to avant garde. Anyway, decent band, well done on booking them and I hope to attend.

You did: "Well given that "avant garde" is not a sound, it is not a fairly accurate way of describing them."

I have never described them as "avant garde". I merely suggested they take some elements from it. To deal in absolutes, whether it is regarding avant garde or any other musical attitude is pretty naive in my view. I would never describe them as post-punk, yet they take some elements from some of the major players from that era. Also, I wouldn't really describe them as shoegaze, but again they take some elements from some of the key shoegaze exponents.