aberdeen-music

Which Way Now - New Recordings

nhoj

• 3 weeks later...

I like them, they aren't the sort of thing i listen to really but the productions quite good and Heather has a nice voice (she reminds me a bit of a cleaner Katie Jane Garside). I do agree that her vocals do sound out of place with the music though.

I hope they do well for themselves.

Why is that fine by you? Don't you want to be good?

Please don't rest on a 'whatever floats your boat' style argument.

Well you can't please everyone. They're only 'not good' in your opinion. Other people seem to like them or at least see merit in what they're doing.

Anyway, stop trying to be 'controversial' (i don't think i've seen you post anything constructive on this site so far). There's plenty of people on here that do it to much greater effect than you.

they're perfectly competent, just i personally find them very boring and the singing really doesnt fit the music.

her voice is dark, sultry even, and owes a lot to shirley manson, which isnt a bad thing, shes a fantastic singer and a great frontwoman. BUT a voice like that really doesnt fit that style of music. garbage have their rocky moments, but shirley truly shines through with the synth-ey electronic stuff.

i'm sure you'll progress and adapt yourselves into a style that complements her voice and vice versa, just right now it doesnt fit.

Well you can't please everyone. They're only 'not good' in your opinion. Other people seem to like them or at least see merit in what they're doing.

Anyway, stop trying to be 'controversial' (i don't think i've seen you post anything constructive on this site so far). There's plenty of people on here that do it to much greater effect than you.

I just don't see the point in putting music in a 'feedback forum' with the sole intention of dismissing criticism as somehow invalid because it is only one opinion. I also would have thought any 'artist' with a scrap of pride would feel slightly put out by being called uncreative.

I just don't see the point in putting music in a 'feedback forum' with the sole intention of dismissing criticism as somehow invalid because it is only one opinion. I also would have thought any 'artist' with a scrap of pride would feel slightly put out by being called uncreative.

I don't think saying something is "pretty bloody bad" qualifies as constructive criticism by any stretch of the imagination.

Maybe if you spent a little more time creating something a bit more constructive on the criticism front people would take it with a little more grace rather than dismiss it as a churlish attempt at getting a rise out of the band in question.

Feedback is good. Being an arse is bad.

I'm finding it hard to see why so much praise is lamped onto the vocalist, who sounds like a miserable, three-times-divorced-and-still-not-twenty single mother with a fondness for the passionate, hopeless despair of such moody cult intellectuals as Avril Lavigne or 'that bird from Evanesence', spilling her heart out at a pseudo gothic psycho-therapy session. The song titles certainly suggest she's endured a few teenage emotional beatings, a subject matter already comprehesively covered in music as a whole.

The guitar is hopeless; beginner riffs over a backdrop of technique-heavy (in theory) 'shredding' and 'Just wait I can get it' tapping non-prowess.

I disagree. I'd say the vocals sound quite mature. The genre's quite limited though and I'm sure she'd benefit from more interesting songs.

Strange band to take such a hard line against. They're not exactly offensively bad.

I think I'm just using them as an example now though; it's not as if you don't hear this sort of thing all the time, is it? I think, in a sense, i see this kind of thing as coming under the 'shoddy cover band' bracket, because there really is nothing you haven't heard before in some form or another. I'm sure I've got those same riffs recorded on tape upstairs from when I was about thirteen, though possibly a slightly better guitar tone.

What do you mean the vocals sound mature? Tonally? You surely aren't talking lyrics..

let me put it this way right.

either one way or another a band has to promote their music.

now all i aimed at was to get that done via this and also using this to get some feedback, which i am getting both good and bad. and hey good or bad at least it gives us something to go work with you know.

and saying "float your boat" kinda thing? well no if i had a go at you then this page would of just carried on with stupid "i know im right" kinda insults flying left and right which is pointless to be fair.

seriously i dont know what your issue with us is, just carry on if you like.

so if you like us or not you know thats fine with me.

let me put it this way right.

either one way or another a band has to promote their music.

now all i aimed at was to get that done via this and also using this to get some feedback, which i am getting both good and bad. and hey good or bad at least it gives us something to go work with you know.

and saying "float your boat" kinda thing? well no if i had a go at you then this page would of just carried on with stupid "i know im right" kinda insults flying left and right which is pointless to be fair.

so if you like us or not you know thats fine with me.

Ok, but by saying opinions mean nothing negates the existence of constructive criticism of any kind.

nah what i was trying to get on at was the negative responses just i thought got to stage of going a lil personal.

"sounds like a miserable, three-times-divorced-and-still-not-twenty single mother with a fondness for the passionate, hopeless despair of such moody cult intellectuals as Avril Lavigne or 'that bird from Evanesence', spilling her heart out at a pseudo gothic psycho-therapy session"

:up:

but if your trying to say you don't like the vocals thats fine, it but it was kinda getting to the stage where you had to prove your point to the bitter end you know. i mean hell thanks for giving your view anyway :up:

I think, in a sense, i see this kind of thing as coming under the 'shoddy cover band' bracket, because there really is nothing you haven't heard before in some form or another. I'm sure I've got those same riffs recorded on tape upstairs from when I was about thirteen, though possibly a slightly better guitar tone.

Someone once said; "What is originality? Undetected plagiarism."

Its not like we dont have more than enough shoddy cover bands playing tired riffs and common as muck chord changes already but do you really think these guys deserve to be lobbed in with that lot? Personally I think we've actually got some fair composition here, alright the song structures are about as vanilla as you're going to get but the sound is fresh enough and for this genre the quality is fairly high.

Yeah yeah, "I wrote that riff when I was 13" anyone who has played guitar for a while is going to end up producing similar riffs. Why dont I see you ragging on about all the blues bands who keep playing that same damned 12 bar riff? I mean really, if you're going to talk about unoriginal...

But seriously, do you think that these recordings are honestly worthy of "Pretty bloody bad"?