aberdeen-music

[GIG] Strike The Colours + Ziggy Campbell + Simblox + Tupelo Town Assembly @ Peacock Visual Arts

So Quite It Kame Records and Twojoe Projects present

Strike The Colours

Fans of the Scottish indie scene will be familiar with lead singer Jenny Reeve, who has played with Arab Strap, Idlewild, The Reindeer Section and her previous band, Eva, but now her own talent, and the full bands skills, come to the fore in their own right.

Ziggy Campbell and Simblox

Ziggy Campbell and Simblox return to their spiritual home of the North East. The duo usually front Edinburgh's

finest pop band 'FOUND'. Tonight they come armed only with voice, beats, squeeze box' and dubious banter

to perform their own special fusion of skanky, lo-fi pop.

Tupelo Town Assembly

Andy and Jim from Staccato Set along with John a Welfare Mother let loose with a nasty

blend of trash driven old school inspired rhythm and blues with an experimental

edge worthy of a Lnychian sountrack.

Max Scratchmann-Animation and illustration

Sound and visuals by Falcon Audio Visual

• 2 weeks later...
That's a nice article. Should be a good gig like, the supports are interesting too. Tupelo in particular (if that's Lynchian, as in David Lynch) should be right up my street. And Ziggy's voice is cracking too as are his lyrics.

Any links to work by the visual performance artists?

i dont know of any. Jim may though..? dave falconer has done all the visuals and videos too for the sqik nights this year, which have been fantastic... i reckon...

You can check out Strike The Colours on their myspace:

www.myspace.com/strikethecolours

There's a song from their new mini-album 'The Face That Sunk A Thousand Ships' called 'Safety In Numbers' and their contribution to the 'Ballads Of The Book' compilation as well as a few older demos.

They're definitely well worth a listen and a definite must-see live. Peacock is a cracking venue for it as well.

I believe you can also pick up a copy of the mini-album in One-Up but if you want to pick it up online you can do so through Resonance:

strike the colours :: shop :: resonance

Can't wait for the gig actually, cracking start to the weekend :)

Will it be a sharp start at 8? (I'm thinking Peacock's won't be open so late as Tunnels would've been?).

Doors at 8

Times

TTA 8.45

Ziggy and Kev 9.40

Strike the Colours 10.30

Give or take

Sorry there is no food available tonight Alan. You can bring a sandwich if your coming...:)

we were doing a radio 1 session in glasgow last night and vic galloway played two songs featuring jenny reeve.

absolutely great tunes!

great voice, i will try and attend although kinda have birthday commitments to someone but will see!!!

keen to hear jims new band and good to hear hes making a noise again

always good to hear

Headed down to this gig prior to heading to Tunnels for the Ronelles indie disco malarkey that it turned out was cancelled :(

Unfortunately I left to head to Tunnels before strike the colours were on, which is a shame as I'm on vauge nodding terms with Davey the guitarist. Really enjoyed the support acts though! :D

Really enjoyed the support acts though! :D

FOUND headline The Tunnels tonight & if the duo's performance last night is a marker

for their performance as a five piece tonight, the experimental pop chancers are in fantastic form.

Ziggy is probably the best front man in Scotand right now.....

I thought the gig was great last night, i wasn't sure what to expect from the support acts but was pleasantly surprised :)

Strike the Colours were great as well but in all honesty i prefer Jenny backed by just strings or a single guitar/piano combo as i feel here voice suits it better. I did thoroughly enjoy their set though and the new songs are great.

FOUND headline The Tunnels tonight & if the duo's performance last night is a marker for their performance as a five piece tonight, the experimental pop chancers are in fantastic form.

Ziggy is probably the best front man in Scotand right now.....

Aye, he was really entertaining. Quite gutted I can't make it tonight as I'll be at the Gig at the Mart, but will keep an eye out for Found in future!