aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
Paulscoconutass

Edit/Deleting posts

To stop wee gobshites going back on what they had said when they realise they are in the wrong?

stupid reason. people can see posts have been edited because it's indicated at the bottom.

never seen the edit feature as being a problem before.

After about a day or so the ability to edit and delete posts seems to vanish, how come?

Actually, it is now one hour after you originally make the post that you loose the ability to edit it (or rename the thread title for that matter). Before, there was no limit. Why the change? For a number of reasons really, but mainly to stop people going back and changing the content of posts in an attempt to cover up nasty things they may have said (and people have subsequently complained about).

One hour is more than enough time to re-read your post and make any necessary corrections or changes.

The icons will be fixed soon - the recent vBulletin upgrade has just restored some of the original icons which I agree are rather crap.

what if people need to change details about a gig? i don't want to have to look through the whole thread.

On those rare occasions, you can just ask the staff to do whatever is needed.

On those rare occasions, you can just ask the staff to do whatever is needed.

fair enough

the fact that members get an hour to edit spelling mistakes and so on is great. i thought the edit feature had disappeared completely.

Surely anything *that* nasty would be quoted and left in someone elses' post for all to see (i.e. if it was bad enough to be noted and quoted by others)? I used to like deleting a post and re-posting an update in a topic instead of 'hogging' a thread, particularly in the Onion Terror forum. Is there any way I could have the 'power' to do this in said forum?

Also, wouldn't the staff have access to some form of backup / cach file of everything posted and changed by the members?

Guest bluesxman

Can it be made possible to retain editing ability in the trading post? For example I am trying to sell a load of DVD's and it would be great to be able to just edit my original post to indicate what is sold, etc....surely the likelihood of slanging matches breaking out in the trading post makes it manageable?

Guest Savant
Can it be made possible to retain editing ability in the trading post? For example I am trying to sell a load of DVD's and it would be great to be able to just edit my original post to indicate what is sold, etc....surely the likelihood of slanging matches breaking out in the trading post makes it manageable?

I agree - it would be helpful in trading post - saves you posting a load and keeps things clearer. Also, it'd be nice to be able to remove ebay links after the auction is finished...

Bad news. The editing time variable is a global setting and cannot be applied differently to different forums. I have now removed the editing time limit for thread titles, but I suspect that doesn't really help much. The editing time limit for posts remains one hour.

I will be replacing the Trading Post forums with Classified Ads software that will hopefully allow me to overcome this restriction.

Guest batterypowpow
Bad news. The editing time variable is a global setting and cannot be applied differently to different forums. I have now removed the editing time limit for thread titles, but I suspect that doesn't really help much. The editing time limit for posts remains one hour.

I will be replacing the Trading Post forums with Classified Ads software that will hopefully allow me to overcome this restriction.

How do you edit the thread titles? I can't see any buttons.