aberdeen-music

Genuine Advantage

Hey geeks...

What's the deal with Windows Genuine Advantage? Do I need it? Or do I tell Mr Gates to get stuffed? I've ignored it so far, but the message to install it is starting to annoy me.

I do have a genuine copy of Windows, even though a message told me I might not have. Am I more likely to have problems if I do, or if I don't install it?

Guest Tam o' Shantie

i kept telling it to fuck off with the 'don't ask me again' messages, then eventually a slightly different one came up, so i again asked it never to darken my doorway again, and then it never came back

on the meaning of the word genuine:

getting a copy of windows and then using a pirated serial number does not mean it isnt genuine.

If I steal a porsche and use a set of lock picks to unlock the doors, does that mean it's not a genuine porsche?

Guest Tam o' Shantie

no, but how on earth can a 'fake' operating system exist? what would be the purpose of writing a 'phoney' operating system that wasn't REALLY windows, and tricking people into thinking they were using the real deal?

• 2 weeks later...
Hey geeks...

What's the deal with Windows Genuine Advantage? Do I need it? Or do I tell Mr Gates to get stuffed? I've ignored it so far, but the message to install it is starting to annoy me.

I do have a genuine copy of Windows, even though a message told me I might not have. Am I more likely to have problems if I do, or if I don't install it?

You'll need to install it if you want the latest security fixes and patches for Windows XP. And also if you want to download and install Internet Explorer 7 and Windows Media Player 11 among other things.

If it doesn't think you have a genuine copy of Windows then I think you can call Microsoft and they will issue you with a new key to use. There have been endless problems with Windows Genuine Advantage though, with many genuine copies of Windows getting flagged up as pirate copies.

There are ways to get round Windows Genuine Advantage and still get all the latest patches and fixes from Microsoft but it would be inappropriate for me to discuss that here.