aberdeen-music

best cheap pedals!

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Ok, I'd like to start getting my hands on a few pedals of the noisy variety...what are the best boxes one can pick up for around 30 pounds or less either new or 2nd hand?

Big Muff seems like a must, and I fancy some sort of pitch shifter, octave pedal, delay/loop etc.

38139_l.jpg

All my instincts tell me that this would be an utter piece of shit, but with a delay and pitch shifter in one at 20 quid new, how can I resist it?!

but it has a pitch shifter! how can that go wrong? would it detune, or something?

it'll probably just fall apart in a week or two. in fairness though, i've no experience of the actual stombox pedals they make, just things like the 'v-amp' pod style units, and the actual amplifiers they stick them in ('v-ampires' or something...).

it's 20 new though so even if it sounds shit, as long as it works i guess you get your moneys worth.

i once got a boss delay/pitch shifter called an RPS-10 for less than 30 quid. looks like an ancient sci-fi film prop. no idea how it sounds, because i neglected to acquire a power supply for it. think its sitting in a cupboard somewhere...

Weeeeellll..........I got a cheapo chorus pedal from cash convertors a couple of months ago. They had a big batch of unnamed made in china things. It's cased in weighty metal (they must've had some tank armour-plating left over!). It'll probably stop working in the near future, but so far it has done the job no problem. However this has been home-studio use only. I think it was about 20 quid.

Another very cheap one I got, and like a lot, is a Danelectro tremolo ('Tuna Melt'). It is a cheap plastic casing, so will no doubt explode on being stamped hard, but again it does the job well. I have used it live a few times too. I'm not sure how much they are...I got mine in NYC for about 16 quid. Wish I'd bought a few others while I was at it.

I've had a beringher pedal for a few months and had no problems whatsoever (which was surprising after reading a number of pants reviews about the quality of their build), I'd easilly buy a heap more at a third of the price of a boss one. Providing that you're not going to go jumping full-force on the thing, you should get your money out of a plastic pedal.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
I thought I had made one?

well, a suggestion on what not to get which was helpful, but still nobody has said "the X pedal by manufacturer Y is really good effect Z pedal and only costs 40 quid new, so you should be able to pick one up for around 20 odd quid"

Guest Phantomsmasher

I've got a behinger delay, and reverb pedal. They serve my purposes perfectly, as they add a certain quality to the vocals/contact mics I run with them, but probably not preferable if you want a clear output, they do degrade the signal pretty badly in my experiance.

Ebay is the best bet for cheap higher end pedals, as has already been stated.

well, a suggestion on what not to get which was helpful, but still nobody has said "the X pedal by manufacturer Y is really good effect Z pedal and only costs 40 quid new, so you should be able to pick one up for around 20 odd quid"

Awright then - the Digitech "Bad Monkey", "Screamin' Blues", "Death Metal" & "Hot Head" pedals are decent sounding and solidly built - 25-30 each should net you good examples on eBay.

Introduction

not shite in the slightest.

Aye but that's 900 worth of equipment not really comparable to the 20-30 pedals we're talking about. You'd kind of expect it to be good for that money.

But having said that, i haven't seen or heard of that thing so it still might be shite compared to individual effects processors that are of a similar quality/ price range.