aberdeen-music

epiphone pick ups in a squire?

Graham

i took the scratch plate of my squire tele custom to alter the pick ups. when i looked at the back of the pick ups (duncan designed p90's) they both have epiphone written on them. i thought this was a bit strange what with squire and epiphone being totally different companies. anyone know how these pick ups ended up in my guitar? only thing i can think of is the factory my guitar came from assembles both epiphones and squire guitars. so was just wondering if anyone had heard of this before or if its just my guitar?

Guest DustyDeviada

Yeah, they are probably made in the same factory in Korea or whatever.

So what pickups did you put in? And how's the guitar? The idea of a Tele with P90s appeals to me.

yeah, thats the only thing i can think of. although i would of thought if epiphone found out they would not be too pleased that their pickups are being used in another companies guitars? i didn't change the pickups, just tightened them up as they had come a bit lose. its a lovely guitar, really like the p90s. gives it a nice wide range of sounds. feels good to play too and it didn't cost much at all.

Guest DustyDeviada

Yeah, but they're not Epiphone pickups, they're Duncan Designed ones.

Loads of these guitars are built in the same factories in the Far East, all the Gretsch guitars in the Pro line for example are made in the Terada factory, where the Epiphone Elitist models are also made.

Yeah, but they're not Epiphone pickups, they're Duncan Designed ones.

thats whats confused me though. on the front of the pickup it says duncan designed, but on the back of the pickup it has the epiphone logo engraved on it, so if its a duncan designed pickup why does it have epiphone on it? or is the back bit with epiphone just a cover or something and not the actual pickup? i thought that maybe the pick up wasn't duncan designed at all and was just an epiphone one with a cover on it saying "duncan designed".

thats whats confused me though. on the front of the pickup it says duncan designed, but on the back of the pickup it has the epiphone logo engraved on it, so if its a duncan designed pickup why does it have epiphone on it? or is the back bit with epiphone just a cover or something and not the actual pickup?

Possibley just mass produce them with the Epi logo on in the first instance. I'd imagine there's a greater call for P90s in assorted Epiphone guitars than Squiers, so it makes sense that Squier just buy excess pickups or something.

Guest DustyDeviada

I think the Duncan Designed thing is a way for Duncan to come up with the way the pickup is built, but then for it to be built in some sweatshop in the far east.