aberdeen-music

2007/2008 season thread

RossP

The move away from Glasgow might do him good. I think there's also the aspect of trying to free up a wage for January (Stephen Dobbie would be my guess), still short of some squad members. Hope we fire Jimmy Gibson into the abyss in the window, and Di Giacomo can fuck off aswell.....

Stuart McCaffery might be going your way. Will never be good enough for the SPL, but was great in division one for us.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strachan leaves

Didn't see that one coming! Who'll replace him?

Baws!

Before I clicked on the link, I thought that the Ginger Whinger had left the Tattie Munchers !!!

Adam Strachan? Lightning pace? Potential? Unfulfilled? Not good enough for the Jags?

Expect him to join us at Rugby Park - safe haven for all waifs and strays. Who knows? we might make a player out of him...then hand him straight to Rangers.

Stuart McCaffery might be going your way. Will never be good enough for the SPL, but was great in division one for us.

Heard that one on P&B, but I also heard that Dundee were in for him. They's probably offer better wages, I'd bet.

Is Grant Murray still at Killie? (You can tell I really care about the Self Preservation League these days, haha.)

Guest idol_wild
Surely one not particularly successful season at Hibs isn't sufficient to get him the Scotland job?

I'm in agreement with that sentence/question/statement.

But he'll be a cheap and eager option. Perfect for the SFA.

The other prime candidate, alledgedly, is Gary McAllister. I think this shows what type of route the SFA are going down.

Surely one not particularly successful season at Hibs isn't sufficient to get him the Scotland job?

What about Jurgen Klinsmann and Marco Van Basten. Both their managerial careers were minimal to say the least before they took their national team jobs!

He had an excellent football education during his high profile playing career, followed by working with the Barcelona coaching staff. He could do a job I feel, if he has an old head beside him e.g. Joe Jordan, Billy Davies

Guest idol_wild
What about Jurgen Klinsmann and Marco Van Basten. Both their managerial careers were minimal to say the least before they took their national team jobs!

I knew someone would bring this up. And I actually suspected it'd be you! ;)

Van Basten and Klinsmann are different cases, simply because they were absolutely pivotal to their national teams as players because they were absolutely World Class.

Collins, however, was little more than a competent midfielder who could whip in a decent left-footed cross, or deliver sometimes dangerous set-pieces. He was no World beater. He had little in the way of genuine calibre, in my opinion.

I think Collins lacks a lot of experience and his job at Hibs was clearly unfinished. Three or four more seasons there and I think he'd take them quite far. Then he could go to a slightly bigger club as boss. Then he'd be ready for the Scotland job.

He had an excellent football education during his high profile playing career, followed by working with the Barcelona coaching staff. He could do a job I feel, if he has an old head beside him e.g. Joe Jordan, Billy Davies

Joe Jordon would be great as his assistant. Don't know if they will go for such a young manager.

Very risky but who knows.

Tonight is more important anyway! As long as Touzani starts i'm not too worried but you can never tell whether it will be hit or miss for Aberdeen tonight.

Tonight is more important anyway! As long as Touzani starts i'm not too worried but you can never tell whether it will be hit or miss for Aberdeen tonight.

As long as he's not in defence eh!? Found out against Motherwell, when pacy players are on his shoulder.

It'll be interesting viewing, but I predict a draw. Got money on a 0-0 half time scoreline...

Craig Brewster for new Hibs boss???

I knew someone would bring this up. And I actually suspected it'd be you! ;)

Van Basten and Klinsmann are different cases, simply because they were absolutely pivotal to their national teams as players because they were absolutely World Class.

Collins, however, was little more than a competent midfielder who could whip in a decent left-footed cross, or deliver sometimes dangerous set-pieces. He was no World beater. He had little in the way of genuine calibre, in my opinion.

I think Collins lacks a lot of experience and his job at Hibs was clearly unfinished. Three or four more seasons there and I think he'd take them quite far. Then he could go to a slightly bigger club as boss. Then he'd be ready for the Scotland job.

Glad I didn't let you down!

He's not in the same league as MVB or Jurgen, but at his peak he was probably our best and most high profile player; playing abroad for a good European team, after playing at the top in England and Scotland. Perhaps Paul McStay or Paul Lambert could challenge him for top player at the time, but he was class for us.

He hasn't enough managerial experience for my liking, but he has passion and desire to improve. You can bet if he got it, he'd use the time between now and Macedonia game talking and working with his high profile contacts, to give him some vital tips.

I'm not defending his (unconfirmed) appointment, but I wouldn't be too upset about it until we see how he does. That said I'd still prefer Mark McGhee.

I suppose he could show off his six pack to a new dressing room :rolleyes:

As long as he's not in defence eh!? Found out against Motherwell, when pacy players are on his shoulder.

It'll be interesting viewing, but I predict a draw. Got money on a 0-0 half time scoreline...

Craig Brewster for new Hibs boss???

Aye but Touzani showed himself to be a rather splendid holding midfeilder and that'll be why JC played him in defence last wk o

Don's being offered a cash bonus on getting through to the last 32. May be good encouragement over and above the pride thing. Hoping they show the form that they are capable of tonight but I reckon a close one (and cold) Christ my nerves are jittering already!

*heading for fridge and bottle of wine for some liquid atmosphere*

4-0! this is unbelievable. denied a stonewall penalty as well. copenhagen are playing pish though but why can't we attack like this every week?

thats the nature of footy isn't it??? a team is pants one match then the next game play out of their skin!! well done aberdeen!

4-scud - who would have thunk it it!!!

Even the most delusional Don (and god, there are plenty) couldn't have conceived that result.

You guys played really well, gave Copenhagen no room to breathe, defended in numbers and tangoed them on the break.

It has to be said that Copenhagen were dreadful, but that shouldn't detract from an excellent Dons performance.

Maybe the Scottish game is really strong right now - (it's all relative on a club-by-club basis) - I'd certainly like to think so.

Play like that against Satan's Sons this weekend and you'll get a result.

Well done!

KTID