aberdeen-music

2007/2008 season thread

RossP

Guest idol_wild
Yes...it was a Celtic match, in the early 70s....we saw her getting carried out by a steward or ambulanceman.....my mate knew her..think she went to Hazlehead Academy. She was ok, though.....amazingly!

There were photos in the P&J.

I just wondered because my mum once told me something about it. Naturally, I didn't believe her.

But I do, in all seriousness, agree about having a "retro" feel to any new stadium that AFC get. Not having rounded and filled corners would be a good start. I hate these "bowl" stadiums that are cropping up all over the country. I like grounds with character and stands that don't necessarily match. So you can sort of see an element of history about the ground.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wondered because my mum once told me something about it. Naturally, I didn't believe her.

But I do, in all seriousness, agree about having a "retro" feel to any new stadium that AFC get. Not having rounded and filled corners would be a good start. I hate these "bowl" stadiums that are cropping up all over the country. I like grounds with character and stands that don't necessarily match. So you can sort of see an element of history about the ground.

Close the corners and keep out the chilly wind and there wouldn't be a great deal of history to a new stadium...

I want a stadium that's still a 10 minute walk from my hoose! Again I see something being planned in the EE. I stopped reading as I have done this far too many times about various projects that haven't happened yet. 'The council are looking at this, the planning is being put forward for that'. I am just going to enjoy the Dons at Todders and hang the future. A new stadium, training facilities, in-house soccer schools etc would be fab though!:up:

Yes...it was a Celtic match, in the early 70s....we saw her getting carried out by a steward or ambulanceman.....my mate knew her..think she went to Hazlehead Academy. She was ok, though.....amazingly!

There were photos in the P&J.

I remember this well. I vaguely knew who she was, as I'm sure she stayed in Ferryhill as did I when I was a lad. To make it even more dramatic she was a blond and the contrast with the blood was dramatic.

Aye, bring them days back!

I remember this well. I vaguely knew who she was, as I'm sure she stayed in Ferryhill as did I when I was a lad. To make it even more dramatic she was a blond and the contrast with the blood was dramatic.

Aye, bring them days back!

My dad stopped going to Aberdeen v. Rangers games after a girl next to him at a final at Hampden got hit in the head by a dart! Loads of fights after the game, with the police adopting a Madrid approach with the Dons fans and a laissez faire approach with the manky mob.

Off topic: Mon' the Caley against the other soapdodgers on sunday :love:

I remember quite a few hairy moments at Hampden, after we'd cuffed one or other of the Old Firm...most notably 3 of us were on our way back to Mount Florida for the train when a gang of Rangers 'fans' tucked in behind us and told us we were about to be knifed! Forunately a Black Maria came along the road, and we jogged behind it to safety. We were so stressed by the episode that we got straight off the train in Aberdeen and into the Criterion where we got regally gutted (in the best way!) and celebrated the Dons' success.

(On the way out of Hampden, Rangers fans with scarves over their faces were attacking pensioners with sticks).

Once upon a time I was going out with a Greenock lassie, and had to sit po-faced on a train there after we had gubbed the Gers again......the atmosphere was very intimidating, but fortunately I didn't have to speak to anyone.

i'd be happy if the retro element included winning the odd trophy.

not sure how i feel about the Cove thing. it would be a nice wee stadium and we cant stay at Pittodrie for much longer that much is certain. But having a stadium in the city really does make a difference i feel. Being able to catch the early kick off EPL came in the pub before nipping down merkland road is a big benefit. Also just being able to tumble out of bed after a rough Friday/Saturday night and still make kick-off in time. I'm sure i'd adjust in the end but i really hope Kings Links goes through over Cove.

Guest idol_wild
Can't see how an out of town stadium will help attendances, even with a park and ride.

Agreed. It will undoubtedly damage attendances regardless.

Aberdeen Football Club do not need a stadium any bigger than, say, 20,000. The club is not as well supported as it thinks it is. The fact that Hibs average over 2,000 more than us every week tells a huge story.

Having a stadium out-with walking distance of the city centre would be damaging to attendances. Many people have to get a bus to the city centre as it is. Who can be arsed with two buses to go and watch the drivel that Aberdeen produce almost every week?

Guest idol_wild
I think Aberdeen know we won't fill a 30,000 seater stadium. It's more just the fact of trying to get the Euros in Scotland.

Which will never happen anyway...I hate seeing half empty stadiums week-in, week-out. It's embarassing enough at Pittodrie, let alone a 30,000 arena.

Urgh.

first season, or at least the first half of the season i'd imagine we'd get more than we get at pittodrie just now. after the novelty of a new stadium hs gone an out of town stadium would see a drop of a couple of thousands than what we get now i reckon :(

Hibs have only recently started averaging more than us. Two reasons for this: attractive football and Hearts doing well.

Aberdeen are still well supported, but the Ebbe and more specifically the Paterson era fucked us over. We were still getting 14,000 or so for Killie games under Skovdahl. Another good season and i think we'll a slight improvement for the season after this. the football has gotten better this season imo and hopefully a cup win and another couple of great Euro nights will get people going back. Its a good time to be an Aberdeen fan i think, so people should get back down there!

Fucking embarrassing...

Embarrasing?

I'll give ye fucking emabarassing!

My shite are losing 2-1 to Gretna :swearing:

Gretna for fucks sake!!!!

I'll say it here now - I HATE my fucking club, I really do. If there's a team that can't buy a win or a striker who couldn't score in a brothel, you can bet your bottom dollar that Kilmarnock will accomodate and end the run.

I could list dozens of examples.

Gretna for fucks sake :swearing:

2-2 now - thank fuck for Fernandez. Still not good enough though.

2-3 : jesus fucking christ

3-3 : What a game! Still shite though

Todders a sell out on Thursday too... Tactics by JC and the 'team' to lead Copenhagen into a false sense of security.:laughing:X(:swearing:

Nice to see we went down there all fired up and gave then a great game!

Ha - I like the enthusiasm.

Motherwell are red-hot right now, so it's not as bad as you think. Could be worse - you could be a Killie fan, which, I can assure you, is no fun at the moment.