aberdeen-music

2007/2008 season thread

RossP

In other news, the Dons were substandard today. All credit to Rangers, they didn't allow us to play. Naismith was excellent, he gave Considine, Foster and Byrne (yes, JC tried three different left-backs at different stages) a torrid time.

McCulloch was well out of line going for Severin like that - good job the lino saw it, Kenny Clark had a fucking holocaust. Normally I don't go in for slagging the referee (given that I am one), but Scotland's 'best official' was miles below par.

Lee Miller, Zander and Langfield were excellent as usual. Barry Nic and Severin (before he got crocked) also looked good, but in general we were outplayed by a better team. Much as it pains me to say it, Rangers have the look of champions this season.

Love from Christy

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest idol_wild

My opinion is that yesterday's match was a fucking terrible display of football. Rangers looked considerably more threatening than Aberdeen, and that was with a man short. The atmosphere was poor from both sets of fans - that is the quietest I have ever witnessed the Rangers end.

I disagree with you, Christy; I think the referee handled the game very well. There were moments where it could have bubbled over big style, but he was quite sensible with the adminstration of yellow cards. It was beautiful to see Chris Clark chop Hutton back though. I never ever thought I'd see Clark do something like that.

The problem with Aberdeen yesterday was that in the second half, we had to come out and play and direct the tempo of the game. We're terrible at that. We don't have the players capable of that in terms of picking out passes, finding space, making the correct decisions, and essentially, the final ball. Touzani came on and acted as a link between midfueld and defence - always dropping deep to receive the ball from the centre-backs. This would have been fine if we were 2-1 up. But we weren't. And still, every single "move" ended in an aimless punt up the park.

Aberdeen are at their best when they play a high tempo counter-attacking game. Some of Calderwood's substitutions baffled me. Usually I'm not too disappointed with a draw against Rangers, but I felt they were there for the taking. We just don't have the overall ability to take the game to stronger opponents.

Rangers, I'm sure, would have been delighted with the draw. Even though they had four very good chances in the second half. I would have given Langfield man of the match. Twice he bailed us out completely.

Langfield for man of the match for sure. Twice I was all but covering my eyes as Rangers went into the box and twice Langfield came away with the ball. Been great recently.

I quite enjoyed the moment when Severin was walking round Hutton in the box looking him up and down and as if he was shit on his shoe. Made me smile that did! And more of that kind of passion, maybe not action, from Clark. :up:

Twice? I counted 4 or 5 times that Langfield saved our skin.

I never thought i'd say it so soon but we needed Severin in the second half although he was injured hence why he came off.

Kenny Clark was absoloutely appauling. Every dead ball, Rangers were allowed to take it 5 yards forward, quickly and when Aberdeen tried to take a quick one, the ref would stop us. Really want to see the highlights of Clark's tackle and McCulloch's sending off as my eyesight is too shit to make out the other end clearly.

I kinda thought we would go into a long ball play though as it worked (for the first time ever) against Copenhagen and as always it did nothing for us.

At least we got the point and we have Gretna, Caley and Falkirk all games where we should get 9 points from.

Twice? I counted 4 or 5 times that Langfield saved our skin.

I never thought i'd say it so soon but we needed Severin in the second half although he was injured hence why he came off.

Kenny Clark was absoloutely appauling. Every dead ball, Rangers were allowed to take it 5 yards forward, quickly and when Aberdeen tried to take a quick one, the ref would stop us. Really want to see the highlights of Clark's tackle and McCulloch's sending off as my eyesight is too shit to make out the other end clearly.

I kinda thought we would go into a long ball play though as it worked (for the first time ever) against Copenhagen and as always it did nothing for us.

At least we got the point and we have Gretna, Caley and Falkirk all games where we should get 9 points from.

Apologies. Must have had my eyes closed more than I thought...

Guest idol_wild

If we get five points, I'll probably be happy. We have no right to assume we should beat Caley and Falkirk. Falkirk outplayed us every time we played them last season.

Caley are resurgent and, in certain positions, have better players than us.

Furthermore, if we show the same level of desire against Gretna as we did against Rangers yesterday, we probably won't win.

We have St. Mirren at Love Street coming up too, and our record there in recent years is atrocious.

We have a key two weeks coming up, I think. It could make or break our top four ambitions.

We got a win against Copenhagen a draw against the Huns so im quite happy, although at half time yesterday, i fully expected us to go and get the win! But Rangers played well a man down, so i think a draw was a fair result!

I think we should get a decent few points over our next few games, we have to to get ourselves back up for Europe!!

Anyway im still a happy Dons supporter and i cant wait till Gretna!

Nice bunch of fans, those lovel rangers supporters -

- full bottle of bud thrown into a bus shelter at the brig o'dee while half a dozen (inc myself) were standing in it.

- coin missing me by inches at half time, chuck from the away end.

seriously, get a fucking grip.

that is poor behaviour but at the end of the day we're talking about a bunch of fucking hun minks. That lot can barely spell class, let alone display it.

At least you dont have to live in a city full of the scummy wee fucks...

and am I the only person who noticed fergus-hun grabbing someone by the throat? I only saw the highlights so I dunno if he was provoked but surely that's a post game ban even if the ref never saw it at the time?

I dunno if anyone else was at the game but JESUS FUCKIN CHRIST!! Just a little bit of fight would have been nice, taking nothing away from Gretna they went for every ball with passion. I thought it was still Christmas when Lovell, ill repeat that Steve LOVELL scored with 5 mins to go. But then they get a soft pen, which they miss, then still our inability to pick up people in the box leads to us still being shit on the road.

2 trips to Motherwell, where i thought we would at least get 3 points turned out to be 1 point. Anyway lets hope we can pick it up for St Mirren on Sat and Caley on the 2nd of January.

Im kinda glad im gonna be offshore, i dunno if i could handle travelling all the way back down to weegie land for that shite again!!

I totally agree, after Wednesday perforamce, you cant lay any blame at JC. All the players have shown what the can do during Big games ie Copenhagen, but when it comes to the smaller games, it feels like they just don't want to be there.

I say it time and time again, but if you look for every ball, close players down as soon as they get the ball (Like Gretna did) you'll reap the benifits!! However to many players dont seem to really bother or really want to win that much!

We do need someone like Keane as JC said, someone who'll get stuck into their team mates for underacheaving.

What else is infuriating is how Jamie Smith can produce a display ike that in Europe but then plays against the team bottom of the league and, if i remember correctly, makes like one or two passes the whole game!!

I also don't think having Seve in the midfield on Wed would have made much difference even though JC looks at him to do the job and kick players into touch!

We really need to sart winning these games!! Starting with ST Mirren on Sat!

Guest idol_wild
Think I am starting to see Jimmy C's point of view on reading the EE today. I think we often point the finger at the manager when the real issue lies with the players attitude on and off the pitch. Aberdeen are infuriating at the moment.

I reckon they go on the lash every time after training...

It's Jimmy's job to get the players thoroughly focused and motivated for every single game though. He signed the majority of the players at the club right now, so before he signed them he should have an idea of their mentality and desire to compete. The blame lays almost entirely on the manager in that case.

But honestly, Aberdeen have a very young, inexperienced, and technically limited squad. The result against Copenhagen was a freak result. We had no right to expect to beat Gretna and we'll have to work our socks off to even gain a point against St. Mirren.

We lack decent players in several areas of the pitch right now, and Jimmy seems incapable of allowing a starting eleven to settle.

But honestly, Aberdeen have a very young, inexperienced, and technically limited squad. The result against Copenhagen was a freak result. We had no right to expect to beat Gretna and we'll have to work our socks off to even gain a point against St. Mirren.

I have to disagree, all through the past 2 seasons i have seen Aberdeen totally outplay and out class teams. Our bad games this season all seem to be away. Hibs was not a freak result, Dundee UTD was not a freak result. Plenty of times. The only reason Jimmy isn't playing the same starting 11 is the ammount of injuries we have, (Why all our players keep getting injured is beyond me). 4 Defenders out for Sat! We are goin to struggle against ST Mirren unless our players have the desire to win, which they clearly didn't have on Wednesday!

For once I'm not sure about tomorrow's game... usually i'm really positive about finally getting this win, but not this time.

Positives:

- We are playing really well, conceding fewer silly goals and scoring lots.

- Marius is playing brilliantly.

- Our strongest team and formation (in my opinion) was played in the last match, so hopefully will be adopted in this one too.

- Aberdeen are having their usual injury "crisis". Hart and Diamond are both out.

Negatives:

- Dons are strong at home.

- Any time Lee Miller falls over the ref gives a pen.

- We always seem to do something silly in this fixture.

Good to see we got rid of some deadwood in McCaffery and Ridgers today. If we can sign up our promising youngsters for at least another season, plus Phil McGuire i'll be chuffed.

QUOTE]

That may be because he tends to fall over following a stupid, clumsy challenge from a shite SPL defender.

The very least he could do is make his collapse to the ground believable; that one where he clipped his own feet *outside the box* against Killie was ridiculous. Perhaps he could take some lessons from our Romanian diving king...

Ah the irony of a Dons fan taking the piss out of another team for having shite defenders! Mair and Byrne tomorrow? Can't wait.

The very least he could do is make his collapse to the ground believable; that one where he clipped his own feet *outside the box* against Killie was ridiculous. Perhaps he could take some lessons from our Romanian diving king...

Ah the irony of a Dons fan taking the piss out of another team for having shite defenders! Mair and Byrne tomorrow? Can't wait.

He didn't clip his own feet - there was contact from the defender (O'Leary?) - and it was inside the box. And your argument is more convincing because...?

I criticised SPL defenders. Aberdeen are in the SPL. Where exactly is the irony?

He didn't clip his own feet - there was contact from the defender (O'Leary?) - and it was inside the box. And your argument is more convincing because...?

I criticised SPL defenders. Aberdeen are in the SPL. Where exactly is the irony?

Och I'm too tired to be bothered with this. Just enjoy the match...

For once I'm not sure about tomorrow's game... usually i'm really positive about finally getting this win, but not this time.

Positives:

- We are playing really well, conceding fewer silly goals and scoring lots.

- Marius is playing brilliantly.

- Our strongest team and formation (in my opinion) was played in the last match, so hopefully will be adopted in this one too.

- Aberdeen are having their usual injury "crisis". Hart and Diamond are both out.

Negatives:

- Dons are strong at home.

- We always seem to do something silly in this fixture.

Good to see we got rid of some deadwood in McCaffery and Ridgers today. If we can sign up our promising youngsters for at least another season, plus Phil McGuire i'll be chuffed.

I dont think you have to worry as i think he is suspended for this game!