aberdeen-music

2007/2008 season thread

RossP

Ach well, after today's final that'll be the end to the season 06/07.

So might as well start talking about next season....

Who are your team playing in pre-season friendlies?

Any summer transfers/rumours for your club?

We're going to Tuscany again, but doing the usual friendlies against Inverurie Locos/Keith etc etc.

Don Cowie is joining from our 'feeder club', he'll take a bit of time to get adjusted to SPL football, like Rankin, but will do well in the long run.

Dargo. Who knows? There's a few folk who are 'in the know' who say that Dargo is happy with our offer of a new contract, but his girlfriend hasn't settled in Inverness, hence his reluctance to put pen to paper.

Few rumours on the go about various signing targets. Liam Buchanan from Cowdenbeath, James McPake from Livi, couple of loan signings from Man Utd and Celtic. Maybe our new scouts Georghe Hagi and Gica Popescu can get us a wee gem :love:

By the way, the fixture list for the new season comes out on June 14th, with the league starting again on Aug 4th. Scottish Premier League | News and Features | Features | All-time SPL table

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ach well, after today's final that'll be the end to the season 06/07.

Any summer transfers/rumours for your club?

Barcelona and Everton for friendlies.

So many transfer rumours (as you'd expect) - as long as we punt a load of the shitty Eastern Europeans I'll be a lot happier, Jankauskas and Klimek already gone, hopefully Barasa, Ivaskevicius, Kanchelskis etc to follow. Hleb's brother is an almost certain incoming. Rumour doing the rounds of Hart from Aberdeen, but don't see it happening myself. Been linked with Robson (thumbs up), Naysmith (thumbs up - but no chance), Rae (thumbs down), Steven Hughes from Leicester (thumbs wavering in the middle).

As long as it's a significant improvement on this season, I'll be happy.

Ours as follows:

17/7/07 - Stenhousemuir (A) 7.30 ko

19/7/07 - Falkirk (H) 7.30pm ko

21/7/07 - Ayr United (H) 3.00pm ko

24/7/07 - Leicester (H) 7.30pm ko

26/7/07 - Alloa (A) 7.30pm ko

28/7/07 - Queens Park (A) 3.00pm ko

At least we'll get a visit to Hampden, ho ho.

Prospects? Not overly impressed with the appointment of McCall, would have been slighty less disappointing if Chisholm had come back with him. He's bound to be better than DC mind you, so mid-table mediocrity with improved home attendances and a slighty better style football with would be a par score for me.

Another cup run would be quite nice too. But they always are, aren't they?

Not sure what's happening pre-season at The Theatre of Pies, but I would expect Naismith to go - likely for peanuts - and some ex-Hearts donkeys to sign for us.

Peter Leven is going (cheerio, cheerio, cheerio) - talented, but fat and slow.

I expect Willie Gibson to make an impact next season - good old-fashioned winger.

Would quite like to see Craig Dargo return. I thought he was excellent for us, but spent 75% on his time at Killie on the physios bench.

Cant wait to get the fixtures out next week. Next season will be the first season in 6 long years since ive had a season ticket. (Watse of money when you work offshore)! God bless this 2 on 3 off rota!!!! :up:

With regards to transfers etc. Lee Mair and Jackie Macnamara in, two good quality signings if you ask me. Also looking at a couple of dutch players. Hopefully a couple of Hans Guilhaus's (if thats the correct spelling)! and not a couple of Peter Van Der Arks!!!

People leaving is open to speculation i think, Russel Anderson will he wont he etc.

I really dont want any one of our team to leave!!

Anyone know when the European fixtures come out?

Bring on next season 10 weeks and counting!!

Oh and has anyone got any ideas how i can fill my Saturdays for the next 10 weeks. God i hate the Fucking close season!! :down:

You could have got an offshore workers season ticket.

I had one the 2005/2006 season. But when the fixtures came out for last season i was only supposed to be home for five home games!!! (That all changed about 2 games into the season).

But now i can get a real supporters season ticket!:laughing:

Hopefully a couple of Hans Guilhaus's (if thats the correct spelling)! and not a couple of Peter Van Der Arks!!!

Come on now! Peter van der Ark? You're mixing your shit, moustachioed midfielders with your inept beanpole strikers!

Although, big Willem was a bit of a cult hero. Not quite sure why, but hey...

love from christy

if the pars keep the majority of the squad together they will straight back up.

since you lot have appointed Stephen Kenny ive became a bit partial to you's. He comes across as a brilliant and genuine guy in a league dominated by moany egotistical pricks. His record at Derry and the improvement witnessed at east end park show that hes also got something very special as a manager.

i love the way he has taken such a keen interest in the history of the club; he seems to be totally honoured to be managing them and that attitude is seriously refreshening.

Mon i'Pars.

Ahem.

yes, now that those scummy Fife fuckers lost the final (:p) we only need to win 1 tie to get into the group stages. Making that + 3rd again + a cup run (making it to the quarters of both, semis of 1) would make it a season to remember and something i think is within reasonable expectations AS LONG as we keep the spine of the team together (Anderson, Hart, Severin, Nicholson, Lovell, Mackie, Miller) adding McNamara is a great move if we can keep those other players at the club and Mair is decent back-up too as well as the Jefferey player sounding exciting. Selling Anderson for anything less than 2m is just going to knock the stuffing out of us big-time though. It really is hard to over-estimate just how important he is to the club right now imo.

if the pars keep the majority of the squad together they will straight back up.

Hard to disagree (as much as I'd like to and wind up J. Spike Esq/Stitchman), the standard in the first wasn't all that great last year. The problem of going down is if you have your best players nicked from you to cover the loss of revenue, then you're stuffed. Then you've got to cope with the installing the mentality of winning most of your games rather than losing most of them. Pars have also got the problem of potential extra fixtures due to Europe, and you've also got the Diddy Cup, etc. It's not easy down here.

In other news, our new gaffer isn't fucking about: Evening Times: Sport

Come on now! Peter van der Ark? You're mixing your shit, moustachioed midfielders with your inept beanpole strikers!

Although, big Willem was a bit of a cult hero. Not quite sure why, but hey...

love from christy

Oh yes sorry, did i mean Willem Van Der Ark and Peter Van Der Ven?

I was just a wee pup in them days!!

mildenhall and lowestoft for friendlies (ooh the glamour)

five new signings, two have re-signed, six released. still waiting for those from last year to re-sign especially top scorer robbie simpson whose also considoring a couple of bench warming contracts from championship sides.

looking forward to next season (probably a bad mistake) jimmy quinn has proved a lot of doubters (myself included) with our end of season form but still has work to do to convince most cambridge fans he's the man for the job. at times we were pathetic (3 five nil defeats) other times majestic (seven nil v weymouth, four nil v northwich).

new investment in the club and a better wage budget (hence signing five new players already) means the squad is beginning to take shape already and we should be a good bet to challenge for the play offs, who knows if things go our way maybe even better. but like alvin i want to see a significant improvement on last season.

On a Scottish level, I'm hoping that both Rangers and Celtic make it through to the group stages of the Champions League, with at least one of them qualifying for the knockout stages. On a related note, Rangers are seeded in the 2nd qualifying round and both Rangers (if they get through) and Celtic are seeded in the 3rd qualifying round. That should in theory ensure their passage - but there's some very dangerous teams potentially awaiting them. If they do both make it into the Group stages, then Celtic are in Pot 3 and Rangers are in pot 4 -

In the UEFA cup, we desperately need for Aberdeen to get into the Group stages (and beyond that, with luck) and for Dunfermline to at least make the First round proper - though ideally both teams would make it into the Group stages. Dunfermline are seeded in the 2nd round, but both teams are unseeded in the 1st round proper. There's not many easy teams at all in the seeded half of the 1st round - Aberdeen's best hope would be drawing one of the English teams or possibly one of the weaker Spanish teams - or even Bayern Munich, just to raise the game a bit.

Irritatingly, no team from Scotland has bothered to enter the Inter-Toto cup - even though they would've faced either a Bosnian team or an Andorran team in the 2nd round and Trabzonspor or an Croatian/Albanian team in the 3rd round.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Irritatingly, no team from Scotland has bothered to enter the Inter-Toto cup - even though they would've faced either a Bosnian team or an Andorran team in the 2nd round and Trabzonspor or an Croatian/Albanian team in the 3rd round.

Scottish teams haven't exactly covered themselves in glory when they've entered the InterToto, I reckon the main reason they did it was to boost the "European" section in programme catalogues, then again I'm ill in that respect.

As for the Glorious Black And White Magic, we've got the Firstie, Uefa, Scottish, CIS, Diddy and Fife Cups to play for, I'll settle for 2 out of the 6, as long as one of them's the league.

Scottish teams haven't exactly covered themselves in glory when they've entered the InterToto, I reckon the main reason they did it was to boost the "European" section in programme catalogues, then again I'm ill in that respect.

As for the Glorious Black And White Magic, we've got the Firstie, Uefa, Scottish, CIS, Diddy and Fife Cups to play for, I'll settle for 2 out of the 6, as long as one of them's the league.

I hear you. But, to be fair, I'd take the Uefa over the Kingdom Cup.

I see we've offered new contracts to a variety of the current squad, which is nice. Yorkston says he thinks we might get Hammil nest season... suuuuuure.

Aberdeen's best hope would be drawing one of the English teams or possibly one of the weaker Spanish teams - or even Bayern Munich, just to raise the game a bit.

what planet you on? aberdeen would get murdered by any of the english or spanish teams in the tournament. wouldn't fancy the dons chances against bayern munich either.

This has really pissed me off

Calderwood has, practically overnight, gone from saying Langfield is, beyond doubt

"The second best 'keeper in Scotland after Craig Gordon"

and

"Deserving of a place in the Scotland team"

and

"I expect him to sign a new contract here shortly," he said. "I'm delighted because he's been great."

In addition, whilst everyone with sight has been appalled by The Clanger's inability to distribute the ball with a modicum of success and his costly mistakes, Jimmy backed him 100% and turned on anyone who criticised him.

BUT NOW, beacuse Clanger had a pished go at him our leader is now saying:

"Dons boss Jimmy Calderwood told BBC Sport: "He slipped up two or three times at the end of the season.

"The third one was maybe just a little bit over the top."

Now why did it this incident for Jimmy to admit he "slipped up" at the end of the season? He's still not telling the full story as his mistakes cost us dearly throughout the whole campaign, but to me this just shows Jimmy is a liar and he has been covering up for him all season. From what I've heard, he knows he bought a donkey in Derek Soutar so he had no choice but to stick with Clanger and would never criticise him no matter how shocking he played. It seems to make sense now.

It seems to me like another classic Calderwood. Don't agree with him and you're out. Exactly what happened to Esson. What is it with him and 'keepers?

Can you imagine Soutar playing in Europe when he played ONE first team game last season (in the cup) and had no pitch time in the league at all? Brilliant, eh?

Willie & Jimmy had better get moving and get another keeper in. Like they should have during the season when Clangfield was letting the entire team down. I can't believe it's had to come to this.

langfield is a great shot stopper but is also a dodgy bastard who cant kick, come for crosses and loves a howler now and again. i am a season ticket holder so am not just going on what i have read elsewhere. with this in mind i would not be too sad to see him leave but we would have to have someone already lined up before we let him go. i think it reflects well on calderwood, you dont cross the boss!