aberdeen-music

[GIG] The Damned @ Moshulu

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm clutching a ticket in my sweaty paw.

Does anyone know who is supporting them?

And what time does the gig start/finish and what's going on afterwards?

I understand that this moshulu place is usually inhabitited by young folk dressed in black with dyed black hair, black make-up and black tattoos on a normal saturday night. Will it revert to this after the gig?

Pete

inthehills

Guest Savant

I understand that this moshulu place is usually inhabitited by young folk dressed in black with dyed black hair, black make-up and black tattoos on a normal saturday night.

hahahaha!

A truly awesome performance, runnin' through a string of classic tracks from their past - History Of The World Part 1, Disco Man, Anti-Pope, I Just Can't Be Happy Today, Neat Neat Neat, Generals, Ignite, and more. Just disappointed I hadn't caught 'em much earlier, and shit, could have at the very height of their powers in '85. :(

at the very height of their powers in '85. :(

Ah, without the Captain? Phantasmagoria's a cracking album, but it's just nae the same without the Captain!

Last night's gig was a belter. Really enjoyable. The Captain was on great form and Dave Vanian seems to be getting younger.

Haven't made up my mind about The Blah! Party yet, but the T - shirts were pretty amusing anyway!

i really enjoyed the gig too.

the support Karloff were brilliant. Even if most of the crowd hid behind the mixing desk.

The Damned have added to their speed and energy with some almost psycodelic bits. In the middle of neat neat neat they went it to a swirly doors-esque section and then brought it back with a bang for the last verse in their normal noisey excess. I was impressed.

I had seen them a couple of times in the 80's when they were still young and goth/punk. I had hoped not to see a bunch of sad old folks this time and I didn't.

Although, what was that nutter on the keyboards drinking? But then if I got to play with the Damned, I guess I'd be leaping around like a looney too.

pete

inthehills

Pete

• Upvote 1

Glad you enjoyed the 'Loff - it wasn't exactly a vintage performance by them but enjoyable nevertheless.

I really enjoy the additional section in Neat Neat Neat too! To take what's basically a two and a half minute punk song and turn it into swirling progressive number takes talent! Also enjoyed the Love Song / Machine Gun medley a lot and Ignite is surely the most underrated Damned song? It's outstanding live!

It's amazing how they are still at the top of their game - They are one of those rare bands that really could show the kids of today a thing or two about live performance.

The keyboardist is a certified nutter called Monty the Moron. He loves it!

Ah, without the Captain? Phantasmagoria's a cracking album, but it's just nae the same without the Captain!

He'd by then left The Damned that's true, but with Dave and Rat they were still I think a force to be reckoned with. But yes you're right, he's not easily replaced and was happy to catch the man in action, and in him they have one of the finest and most exciting punk performers.