aberdeen-music

Meat. The choice of the professional.

Stichman

i was veggie for three years in the late 80's/early 90's. fuck all to do with having a problem with animals being killed but the result of a bad acid trip where me mates steak grew a devil's head and snarled at me 'dont eat me, dont eat me'

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DustyDeviada
i was veggie for three years in the late 80's/early 90's. fuck all to do with having a problem with animals being killed but the result of a bad acid trip where me mates steak grew a devil's head and snarled at me 'dont eat me, dont eat me'

Best reason for being a vegetarian ever.

I had a sirloin steak for the first time in my life a few months ago, cooked for 3 mins either side on a griddle pan, it was pretty good but I don't know what all the fuss is about really with steaks. I have since tried a sirloin steak from a supermarket, it was vastly inferior to the one from the local butcher. Ribeye doesn't appeal to me atall, I've yet to try fillet.

(Incidentally, griddle pans are great for all kinds of meat as long as you let them get smoking hot, I like to flatten out a chicken breast by hitting it with a rolling pin until its about 1cm thick and flash fry it on the griddle for about 2.5mins either side, served with salt n pepper and a squeeze of lemon. George forman grills are a travesty.)

Fish is definately underrated, I go fishing a lot and nothing you can buy in a fishmongers or a supermarket compares to the cod, mackerel or trout you catch yourself and cook within a few hours. I like sushi and make it myself but I haven't tried sashimi, maybe I will overcome my squeamishness in that area this year with some fresh caught mackerel and knock up some raw nigiri at the seaside.

I'm eager to try pigeon, but they are bloody hard to shoot.

sounds obvious but you have to be careful about what fish you eat raw. dont really know anything specific, but im pretty certain you cant just eat anything

i tried to make my own sushi once, fucked it up o_O it tasted fine, but couldn't get the rice to pack together properly; think i basically just saturated the rice with too much of the dressing

sounds obvious but you have to be careful about what fish you eat raw. dont really know anything specific, but im pretty certain you cant just eat anything

i tried to make my own sushi once, fucked it up o_O it tasted fine, but couldn't get the rice to pack together properly; think i basically just saturated the rice with too much of the dressing

AFAIK any fish is ok raw as long as its ultra fresh. Sea fish generally have parasitic worms in their gut, but usually they havent migrated into the flesh and if you gut the fish quickly it's not a problem, they can't live in humans anyway and if you do happen to ingest a worm, it's just an added protein bonus ;)

For sushi rice the quantities i go by are 1 cup of rice, 2 cups of water, wash the rice several times until the water is clear which removes the excess starch, let it sit in its water for half an hour or so before cooking it. The trick is to let it cool a good bit then fan it while you fold in the vinegar mix, until it's at room temp. Long grain rice doesn't work, obviously, italian risotto rice might though!

Once it's cooled down enough, wet your hands first and then clap them together a couple of times so your hands are just damp before you try and shape it.

for 1 cup of rice i use 2.5 tablespoons rice vinegar, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt.

Smoked salmon nigiri are really easy, just shape the rice, smear some wasabi on the fish and press it onto the rice, then wrap a thin sliver of nori around the middle.

AFAIK any fish is ok raw as long as its ultra fresh. Sea fish generally have parasitic worms in their gut, but usually they havent migrated into the flesh and if you gut the fish quickly it's not a problem, they can't live in humans anyway and if you do happen to ingest a worm, it's just an added protein bonus ;)

For sushi rice the quantities i go by are 1 cup of rice, 2 cups of water, wash the rice several times until the water is clear which removes the excess starch, let it sit in its water for half an hour or so before cooking it. The trick is to let it cool a good bit then fan it while you fold in the vinegar mix, until it's at room temp. Long grain rice doesn't work, obviously, italian risotto rice might though!

Once it's cooled down enough, wet your hands first and then clap them together a couple of times so your hands are just damp before you try and shape it.

for 1 cup of rice i use 2.5 tablespoons rice vinegar, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt.

Smoked salmon nigiri are really easy, just shape the rice, smear some wasabi on the fish and press it onto the rice, then wrap a thin sliver of nori around the middle.

Stripey - a man of many talents.

What's the best fish to use in Sushi?

What's the best fish to use in Sushi?

For nigiri (rectangles of rice with the fish on top), cold-smoked salmon, or big cooked prawns which have been butterflied are good. Plain hot-smoked salmon or mackerel is good for maki (rolled sushi), along with slivers of cucumber or carrot and some umeboshi paste.

You can make vegetarian maki using stuff like avacado and even replace the rice with blanched chinese cabbage but I think the seafood is really an important part of the taste.

I love meat, gimme meat all day long. My fave is probably turkey, love turkey.

Meat I love: (in no particular order apart from Turkey, Obviously)

turkey

chicken

beef (Rare Steaks)

pork

bacon

haddock, tuna

sausages, Lorne and Link

Squid (Squid rings)

gammon

ham

Meat i Dont:

Lamb (Although i love a Donar Kebab)!!

liver

I remember tasting a veggie burger one day, GADZ!!!

I also have to have a cheeseburger at least once every 2 days!!

Meat feast pizza from pizza hut, ooh ye cannae beat it!!

I think thats it

I had a sirloin steak for the first time in my life a few months ago, cooked for 3 mins either side on a griddle pan, it was pretty good but I don't know what all the fuss is about really with steaks. I have since tried a sirloin steak from a supermarket, it was vastly inferior to the one from the local butcher. Ribeye doesn't appeal to me atall, I've yet to try fillet.

Fish is definately underrated, I go fishing a lot and nothing you can buy in a fishmongers or a supermarket compares to the cod, mackerel or trout you catch yourself and cook within a few hours. I like sushi and make it myself but I haven't tried sashimi, maybe I will overcome my squeamishness in that area this year with some fresh caught mackerel and knock up some raw nigiri at the seaside.

I'm eager to try pigeon, but they are bloody hard to shoot.

Fillet is brilliant! I buy a 40 lump of it from Costco every few months, and it is honestly superb. Get about 12 steaks out of it so it's not that bad value.

Don't have time to go fishing myself but i often buy fresh salmon fillets... teryaki sauce, or olive oil and cajun spices and then grilled for 15minutes... yum yum.

I make sushi too! Takes a long time to do it properly about worth it. I will probably never make my own sashimi but I've had it 2 or 3 times at various restaurants and to be honest it seems no different to eating cooked/smoked fish.

Pigeon is also surprisingly tasty. Again, I don't "shoot my own" but had it a few times in restaurants and it is delicious.

I'm getting hungry thinking about it all...

This is the best thread ever. Personally I don't eat vegetables so it's nothing but meat for me. I fuckin love pig in any form. Definately my favourite animal. I especially love gammon steaks with chicken foetus on top. Chicken wrapped in bacon is pretty good too. As for cow. I reckon T-bone is the best but can never seem to find it. Fuck knows why! Fish is probably my second favourite animal. Swordfish steaks are the shit. You can't beat raw salmon either. Not to big on sheep but haggis is the nuts. Also any type of pudding (white,red,black). If you like your meat deep fried go to Hass's chip shop. You can get chicken stuffed with white pudding, wrapped in bacon and deep fried in batter. Excellant! I'm getting hungry now. Think it's time for a pig sandwich.

Fillet steak is superb. Rare or Medium rare. However, I had a buffalo steak recently in Canada, which is like super-fillet steak - I think it's honestly the most tender meat I've ever eaten (double entendre fans - go nuts!). No wonder the big hairy cow bastards are so rare nowadays.

ooh i forgot bout buffalo!

The butchers in Stoney does a fine steak pie, I think they're called McWilliam's or something.

Best butcher in Stoney is Charles McHardy's. They do good meat.

Don't think I've tried a fillet steak (costs too much) but I've had a couple of ribeye's recently and they were awesome, much better than the cheap sirloin I usually buy.

This is the best thread ever. Personally I don't eat vegetables so it's nothing but meat for me. I fuckin love pig in any form. Definately my favourite animal. I especially love gammon steaks with chicken foetus on top. Chicken wrapped in bacon is pretty good too. As for cow. I reckon T-bone is the best but can never seem to find it. Fuck knows why! Fish is probably my second favourite animal. Swordfish steaks are the shit. You can't beat raw salmon either. Not to big on sheep but haggis is the nuts. AlsoHass's chip shop any type of pudding (white,red,black). If you like your meat deep fried go to Hass's chip shop. You can get chicken stuffed with white pudding, wrapped in bacon and deep fried in batter. Excellant! I'm getting hungry now. Think it's time for a pig sandwich.

Sounds good where is Hass's chip shop?

Sounds good where is Hass's chip shop?

Holburn Street beside the Talisman building. There's also one in Banchory I think.

It's a good chipper, much better than the rubbish ashvale these days. Bigger portions, better chips and their fish is great.