aberdeen-music

champions league final?

Guest Bob Double Jack

Yeah, i'll have to take that Inzaghi comment on the chin :p

He is very much a victim of circumstance though and has always had the benefit of good service. His overall goals to games ratio is no better than your average striker and the first goal tonight was Pirlo's as far as i'm concerned ;).

I would call the first goal good service from Pirlo for a great Inzaghi goal! He'll never top Mackie's backwards header against Killie though.....

I appreciate your comments on Inzaghi regarding great service received and none too dazzing scoring record but you have to admit that the second goal tonight was clinical and more elegant and composed than your "average striker"?

I think the game summed up Inaghi. Fair play to him, his second was a great striker's goal - but the first was a pile of lucky, lucky shite.

He's also offside almost all the time. Then again, he'd probably point out he scored two so it doesn't really matter!

But he does get the best service in the world. I reckon I could put a few away if I had Kaka and Pirlo passing to me...

Forgetting Inzaghi for a moment, Seedorf was awful.

He's also offside almost all the time. Then again, he'd probably point out he scored two so it doesn't really matter!

But he does get the best service in the world. I reckon I could put a few away if I had Kaka and Pirlo passing to me...

Something about stopped clocks being right twice...

Inzaghi had to have a good game tonight though - Berlusconi had said publicly that he'd start with Gilardino. If Pippo had been shite Ancelotti would probably have mysteriously disappeared. This way he may still have a job next season despite a fucking shocking season in Serie A.

kaka and seedorf both had poor games but every player has bad games!!!!

liverpool looked lively in the first half, shame they got suckered by a fluke goal just before half time.

i think rafa should have brought on a second striker earlier than what he did. never mind just wasnt meant to be for liverpool this year - they did very well to reach to the final in any case.

kaka and seedorf both had poor games but every player has bad games!!!!QUOTE]

Everyone is saying Kaka was crap, but he wasn't that bad. He set up a goal after all, and he had some really nice passes/touches in the midfield. Fair enough he wasn't outstanding, but who was?

Here's a spot on piece in the Herald about Inzaghi...

Filippo Inzaghi has rewritten the football cliche.

He is the forward who is the wrong place at the right times. In fairness, he is sometimes in the wrong place at the wrong times.

The latter occurrence happens when he is offside. Filippo goes offside the way Tunbridge Wells goes Tory. With depressing regularity.

One wonders what Filippo believes is happening on a football field. Does he view those regular raised flags as a desperate attempt by the bench to semaphore instructions on to him? Does he believe that assistant linesmen are playing with some imaginary toy train set on the trackside? When the flag goes up, and it does so often when Filippo is around that it causes a constant breeze, the little Italian looks over in a mixture of disbelief and deeply felt injustice.

This is not the end of his woes. Filippo, too, could not trap a ball with the aid of Bear Grylls and a large net. When the ball comes towards him, it ricochets off him the way a bullet skids off body armour. On one occasion last night Filippo was on his sponsored run into the offside zone, presumably in search of a bit of isolation amid the febrile hubbub of a European Cup final. A carefully weighted pass was aimed towards him. The little Italian, with a wonderful disregard for national stereotype, treated this spherical object as if it were an income tax form with three pounds of Semtex attached and blootered it towards the touchline.

He is the only Italian who makes the beautiful game look as ugly as Peter Beardsley with a dose of chicken pox. Which he has scratched for the best part of a week. Watching an Italian with no ball control is surprising as watching Scottish players completing a one-two.

Johann Cruyff, legend and caustic observer of football, once remarked of Filippo: "Look, actually he can't play football at all. He's just always in the right position."

Cruyff, like Scottish players playing a one-two, was half right. Filippo can be in the wrong position. In the second half, an enterprising ball sent Kaka clear on goal. the move was pulled up for offside.

One player was offside.

It was not Kaka.Who was the miscreant? Answers on a postcard to: The Bleedin' Obvious No. 9 Filippo Way Tube UR OFF Filippo has another problem, though. Sometimes he is in the right place at the right time. A slick pass to the edge of the area, putting Filippo one on one with a defender, was rewarded with a stumble and a loss of possession. On another occasion he drifted towards the penalty spot only to nutmeg himself.

For the rest, Filippo only tried to run offside. Sometimes he was unsuccessful, mistiming his run so that the ball came to him in an onside position. Sensing the unfairness of this, Filippo with great dignity tried not do anything positive with the ball. Or without it.

Superpippo (it's his nickname and it means Goofy in Italian) is never to be denied, however. He chased the ball with all the misguided enthusiasm of a greyhound after an electrical hare. He was like an overgrown schoolboy let loose among a group of Oxford dons. The greats of Pirlo, Kaka, Gerrard, and Alonso gave their eloquent demonstrations of class and style, refusing to sully any of this with something as vulgar as a goal. Master Inzaghi had no such scruples. He scored two. He has racked up 58 of same in European football. In the history of European goalscoring, he just trails Shevchenko, who must be soddin' miles offside.

His first was a wonderful effort. Desperately trying to run offside as Pirlo took a free kick, he was diabolically played on by Daniel Agger. The Italian reacted instantly by allowing the ball to him him on its way into the net. The second was an Inzaghi classic. A sublime Kaka pass was rewarded with a true run and a finish of genuine class.

Superpippo had done it again. And again. With only minutes left, Filippo was substituted. As the hero left the field, I swear the assistant linesman raised a flag.

Everyone is saying Kaka was crap, but he wasn't that bad. He set up a goal after all, and he had some really nice passes/touches in the midfield. Fair enough he wasn't outstanding, but who was?

thing is with players like kaka we probably end up expecting too much (same with say wayne rooney). kaka had a quiet game by his standards but as you say he did set up a goal and showed some nice touches, won't disagree with that!

Kaka had a decent game, not great but he was one of the best players on the pitch in what I found to be a disappointingly poor match. I can only believe that the people who say it was entertaining are comparing it only to the FA cup final. Kaka was made to look inneffective by the poor play of his team mates around him. Seedorf as should be expected was poor. Kaka didn't have the options available most of the game to open Liverpool up. Saying that on other days he would have conjured up more individual skill to break through himself.

theres something seriously wrong in football when both teams in an european cup final play a 4-5-1. the fa cup final was the same, teams are too scored to lose. the point of the european cup is to prove that you are the best team in europe and out play every team you come across. football has become defensive. the world cup was shit. the fa cup was shit and the european cup was shit. sad times

theres something seriously wrong in football when both teams in an european cup final play a 4-5-1. the fa cup final was the same, teams are too scored to lose. the point of the european cup is to prove that you are the best team in europe and out play every team you come across. football has become defensive. the world cup was shit. the fa cup was shit and the european cup was shit. sad times

Just wait till Jimmy Calderwood shows them his 2-4-4 formation in europe next season :up: