aberdeen-music

Vid of No Soucis Tunnels Gig

FatHand

yo mama wack

;)

Ok I was a bit drunk when I posted that last night. What I should have said was more like:

When you bring foreign language hiphop to an audience that isn't going to understand the lyrics, the mc's flow and the quality of the backing become crucially important. For example, (without wanting to sound patronising, obviously), the only reason artists like MC Solaar and DJ Cam (my two favourite french hiphop artists from the 90's) had some degree of success in the uk is because their mc'ing and their production was good enough to stand out from the crowd in the wider context of everything else that was going on at the time. Yes, the french language was a novel factor back then which carried a sort of avante guarde cachet, but I'm afraid that these days just simply having a foreign language MC does not have the same novelty.

When I read about your plans, I was genuinely interested to see what would be the outcome, but this video left me in a confusing state somewhere between disappointment, empathic embarassment for the performers (and the 3 people in the audience) which can be translated as "cringing", and disgust at the spectacle of yet another crap band from aberdeen being given the opportunity to take the piss by the quite frankly *wierd* people who run the tunnels.

I could go on and talk about the terrible demeanour of your subpar performers and the weak nature of the instrumentation involved but what's the point, you've already convinced yourselves that you have something to offer when all there is to show for it is more of the same self-indulgent living-in-a-vacuum delusional rubbish that is so typical of "bands" from aberdeen.

Why don't you focus on recording? Go and do a recording at captain toms or something, then compare it to any hiphop record from the last 20 years and maybe then you will realise how far off the mark you really are.

I resent your attitude to music I'm afraid. You write on here with an elitism and arrogance that is disgusting to read. You basically deny anybody's right to create and perform music, which for them, pushes their own boundaries. That makes you the most closed minded of artists as apposed to the enlightened individual you pertain to be.

I find it hard to take you opinions seriously man, talking the talk, but never offering up any of your own work for criticism. You can use any excuse you like for that but the bottom line is that you show self-doubt and a lack of spine to take any feed back. As soon as I hear something, anything, from you be it a musical revolution or not, I will consider your opinion valid. But until then I'm afraid I'll be considering that you're speaking out of your ass.

I resent your attitude to music I'm afraid. You write on here with an elitism and arrogance that is disgusting to read. You basically deny anybody's right to create and perform music, which for them, pushes their own boundaries. That makes you the most closed minded of artists as apposed to the enlightened individual you pertain to be.

I find it hard to take you opinions seriously man, talking the talk, but never offering up any of your own work for criticism. You can use any excuse you like for that but the bottom line is that you show self-doubt and a lack of spine to take any feed back. As soon as I hear something, anything, from you be it a musical revolution or not, I will consider your opinion valid. But until then I'm afraid I'll be considering that you're speaking out of your ass.

It's not elitism and arrogance, it's having realistically high standards and expectations which fit with the context of whats going on in the genre in the wider world. I've listened to hiphop and that whole stream of music for most of my life and I'd consider myself a bit of a connesieur in that area, so forgive me if I find it hard to take the content of your video seriously.

I'm not "denying anyones right to create and perform music which pushes their own boundaries", but doing it poorly, in public and expecting people to pay to see it definately IS arrogance.

I do post up tracks I've made for fun or little experimental studio clips up here occasionally incase you hadn't noticed - I'm not afraid of feedback (seems like you are though), I just believe in spending serious time on getting things right and developing ideas to a high standard, as opposed to trotting out any old shite to a captive and gullible audience like there is in aberdeen.

Good luck to you anyway, I'm sure there are plenty of pissed and ignorant numpties in aberdeen that will fall for it.

It's not elitism and arrogance, it's having realistically high standards and expectations which fit with the context of whats going on in the genre in the wider world. I've listened to hiphop and that whole stream of music for most of my life and I'd consider myself a bit of a connesieur in that area, so forgive me if I find it hard to take the content of your video seriously.

I'm not "denying anyones right to create and perform music which pushes their own boundaries", but doing it poorly, in public and expecting people to pay to see it definately IS arrogance.

I do post up tracks I've made for fun or little experimental studio clips up here occasionally incase you hadn't noticed - I'm not afraid of feedback (seems like you are though), I just believe in spending serious time on getting things right and developing ideas to a high standard, as opposed to trotting out any old shite to a captive and gullible audience like there is in aberdeen.

Good luck to you anyway, I'm sure there are plenty of pissed and ignorant numpties in aberdeen that will fall for it.

Just a quick point.

You always complain about the lack of diversity in Aberdeen. Yet when an act, who are clearly bringing something new to the Aberdeen scene (i defy you to find another Aberdeen based Hip Hop group/MC who sings in French) appear you are one of the first people to shoot them down.

Now yes you do seem to have high standards etc but given that No Soucis haven't been on the go for very long and they are treading a new path into the Aberdeen scene and potentially expanding the cultural/musical depth of it surely ripping the piss and being high and mighty and uncomplimentary in general is just counterproductive.

You ask for diversity and people challenging the constipated idea of a scene here yet when that does happen you still complain. You might even put people off trying to push themselves with such abject negativity.

I like No Soucis. I know its early days but i'm glad there are bands like this appearing in Aberdeen.

I can take constructive criticism well; in fact, I find it can be what pushes you to make your music better.

For me, this part of your post was fine:

"When you bring foreign language hip hop to an audience that isn't going to understand the lyrics, the mc's flow and the quality of the backing become crucially important. For example, (without wanting to sound patronising, obviously), the only reason artists like MC Solaar and DJ Cam (my two favourite french hiphop artists from the 90's) had some degree of success in the uk is because their mc'ing and their production was good enough to stand out from the crowd in the wider context of everything else that was going on at the time. Yes, the french language was a novel factor back then which carried a sort of avante guarde cachet, but I'm afraid that these days just simply having a foreign language MC does not have the same novelty.

When I read about your plans, I was genuinely interested to see what would be the outcome"

The rest of the post was your usual trash, musician bashing. I did, however, start reading with interest and hoping for something useful to be said other than pack up your stuff there is no hope for you and you are a shite performer. I'm glad you were interested in the idea. Maybe you could come down and see for yourself rather than making some sweeping judgements based on some, lets be realistic, low quality audio.

Also, if you have ever played live music, you will appreciate that it takes a while to get all of the right elements for your first performance.

That was a genuine invitation; I will even put you down as a guest of the band so you don't have to pay.

Colin

it's just a shame that trolls get so much attention (and here's me fueling it too..)

I was once on a great board, it was amazing, san fran, chicago, new york, new hampshire, paris, london, cardiff, birmingham, the deen - all talking, discussing, and generally critical debate about music, and one shit droll drops by, and sadly sticks like the shit they are to a blanket...within 6 months, you could see the digital tumbleweeds.

gladly, there are more people here that can ignore said problems, but it's just a word of advice, don't bite when the bait is dropped.

I thought the performance was pretty good, and the backing track was fine, a better mix might clarify my position, but I certainly wouldn't shit on them, based on that video.

well done.

peep

Nah I'm just fed up of people posting their material on here then acting like spoiled brats if someone posts feedback that isn't what they want to hear.

It's not what you say, it's the way that you say it. I don't think anyone had a problem with your criticism it was more the derogatory/high and mighty attitude that accompanied it.

Fair enough Stripey. I get that you didn't like it. You really did labour the point to cause maximum offense, which is what you were aiming for. Another digital box for you to stand on to berate every musician trying to create and perform in Aberdeen. You expected no rebutal and questioning of your own credentials by making comments like that? I can completely handle you not liking the music as you are just one man with strong views rather than a bunch of people enjoying some live music.

On a different note where can I find some of your "finished" pieces of work? Rather than the trip hop video and old stuff I found (fairly tame in my opinion). I genuinely would like a listen. Let me hear standard you expect from everyone else....

Fair enough Stripey. I get that you didn't like it. You really did labour the point to cause maximum offense, which is what you were aiming for. Another digital box for you to stand on to berate every musician trying to create and perform in Aberdeen. You expected no rebutal and questioning of your own credentials by making comments like that? I can completely handle you not liking the music as you are just one man with strong views rather than a bunch of people enjoying some live music.

On a different note where can I find some of your "finished" pieces of work? Rather than the trip hop video and old stuff I found (fairly tame in my opinion). I genuinely would like a listen. Let me hear standard you expect from everyone else....

I certainly don't want to "berate every musician trying to create and perform in aberdeen". But you know, when you call yourselves (arrogantly and redundantly) "aberdeens premiere scottish/french hiphop/funk band" and have a big blurb about how it's an arty farty multimedia project etc etc, then dish up an act that shonky, you're setting yourselves up for it.

when you call yourselves (arrogantly and redundantly) "aberdeens premiere scottish/french hiphop/funk band" and have a big blurb about how it's an arty farty multimedia project etc etc, then dish up an act that shonky, you're setting yourselves up for it.

:laughing: :laughing:

i dont see why people get wound up by stripey slagging off their music?

its like asking the nazis and the communists to agree on something. chalk and cheese.

critiscm is something you choose to ignore or take on board. get over it and get practising or doing what you love doing

:laughing: :laughing:

i dont see why people get wound up by stripey slagging off their music?

its like asking the nazis and the communists to agree on something. chalk and cheese.

critiscm is something you choose to ignore or take on board. get over it and get practising or doing what you love doing

Yup...

Hit the ignore button is also an option...