aberdeen-music

Reverb pedals: a question...

Guest idol_wild

Guest idol_wild

I recently bought a brand new Digitech Digiverb pedal and I can't quite achieve what I want from it. Mainly because when I activate it, my signal decreases quite substantially. Is this normal for a reverb pedal? I mean, I didn't expect a massive boost to the signal (afterall, it's not that kind of pedal), but I did want the signal to increase slightly.

(And yes, I have the level on the pedal set to full).

Is it to do with where it is on my chain? Or is this just a common trait of reverb pedals?

Guest idol_wild

It's a beautiful pedal, but I'm desperate to get what I want from it! It wasn't exactly cheap.

I have quickly pottered about with the chain, but I guess I'll have to give it more time to find out what the problem is and where in the chain it should go.

Is it better to have reverb before or after delay in your chain. At the moment i go Guitar-Tuner-Tubescreamer-DD3 but i'm thinking of getting the EH Holy Grail so i was wondering where to place it. Any advice?

Or am i ultimately better taking the delay and reverb and putting them in the effects loop? I'd also need to know which way round to position them there though.

How good is the Digitech one out of interest?

Guest idol_wild
IHow good is the Digitech one out of interest?

I really like it, despite not having used it to it's full effect yet. I prefer it to the EH one. I find that pedal to be too limiting.

Read some of the reviews in the link that Jan posted. :up:

Is it better to have reverb before or after delay in your chain. At the moment i go Guitar-Tuner-Tubescreamer-DD3 but i'm thinking of getting the EH Holy Grail so i was wondering where to place it. Any advice?

Or am i ultimately better taking the delay and reverb and putting them in the effects loop? I'd also need to know which way round to position them there though.

How good is the Digitech one out of interest?

Ultimately if you want a proper spatial effect you need the reverb after the delay, but putting it in before the delay can be interesting, I sometimes do both in the same effects chain with different settings on both reverbs...

Guest idol_wild
Ultimately if you want a proper spatial effect you need the reverb after the delay, but putting it in before the delay can be interesting, I sometimes do both in the same effects chain with different settings on both reverbs...

Excuse my ignorance, but you mean reverb after the delay, as in: guitar > tuner > overdrive > delay > reverb > amplifier?

That does make sense actually...

I put my overdrive after my delay, is this weird? I am currently:

guitar > Tuner > Delay > distortion > modulation (anything that makes swooshy noises) > amp

I'm not keen on havin the sound of my distortion pedal being turned off "delayed" if you know what I mean, though I want my "delays" to be affected by my phaser/flanger.

• 5 months later...
Guest idol_wild
when you put some pedals to full it actually reduces the signal level aka boss pedals, lots of people think distortion etc at 10 means louder, when in fact it dilutes the signal

You were spot on, Maxi. I halved the signal level and the pedal works like an absolute dream. I almost prefer my reverb pedal to my delay pedal! :love:

Next up, a good phaser!

guitar > Tuner > Delay > distortion > modulation (anything that makes swooshy noises) > amp

I'm not keen on havin the sound of my distortion pedal being turned off "delayed" if you know what I mean, though I want my "delays" to be affected by my phaser/flanger.

You do run the risk of your delay tails being clean if they're not loud enough to pass the threshold of the overdrive unit. Maybe in your set-up this doesn't happen, maybe you like it that way, but at the end of the day get an overdrive that doesn't produce noise when you switch it is the best advice, then you can have the choice of both ways.

I second putting delay after distortion if at all possible. Possibly even the last thing in the loop.

Also, the general rule is, don't put an overdrive pedal or anything that significantly changes the gain in an effects loop.

isn't the whole point of overdrive that you "overdrive" the input gain and then tame it again so you still have the original "loudness"....

i never thought about it like that, but is your tone as good having the dist. after the delay? do you have to up the level to compensate at all?

tc electronics reverb is another option if you cant get what you want from either

everything TC looks so 'swish'. anybody seen the new Nova Reverb (and delay). looks painfully versatile, just preset switching looks a bit tricky. not sure if its worth 150 bones though...

reverb-wise EH holy grails sound beaut, and they don't dilute your sound too much. very warm reverb. also bought a behringer digital reverb just to see how it sounded, cost me a tenner. its good fun, but far from amazing.