aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
Bryan

QMU Glasgow

Anyone been there for a gig?

I'm going to see the Holloways on Thursday and I'm trying to find the best way to get there from the city centre. Was thinking of getting the underground to Hillhead but was wondering how far it was from there and if trains would still be running after the gig ended.

Also, does anyone know of any pubs in the area

I think you're right about getting the subway to hillhead. That's how i get there anyway, and probably is the easiest (i'm going to a mates in glasgow uni halls though). Afaik, they stop sometime between 11-11:30, so hopefully that'll be allright.

If you want some really nice pubs, check out ashton lane. There is a lane going through to it just beside the hillhead station. You'll be amazed how nice it is once you get through. Not too cheap though.

The pub where begby chuck the glass over the balcony in trainspotting is a 5-10 min walk from the station :up: Nothin' special as a pub though. Just have a look up Byres Road.

Saw Rise Against there on monday, and didn't expect it to be that special a venue from being there at normal union nights. Turned out to be pretty damn good though.

yeah, i saw rise against there a few years ago, and taking back sunday before that. i really like it as a venue, but i just walked there and got a taxi back to my hotel.

Yeah, underground to Hillhead is the best bet. The underground shuts at half 11 or thereabouts, but buses run right through the night from University Avenue.

I'd point you in the direction of the train too. My only visit to QMU was when I played there, it's a lovely venue with a nice soundsystem :love:

Ashton Lane is lush. Last time I was in the area I was at a gig at Oran Mor (end of Byers road across from the Hilton) and it was lovely - and sells Kopperberg! Afterwards we went to a little cocktail place near by (next to the old cinema thng) that frankly makes anything I've drunk in Aberdeen seem offensive - expect a pricey bill. I'd recommend it as a treat though :) I sadly can't remember the name of it.