aberdeen-music

Line 6...

unbroken

Why do loads of people swear by it?

Its fucking pish. Great for bedroom playing but it has absolutely no presence in a live setting. Absolutely none.

A lot of the settings they 'model' or 'emulate' are from players who use tube amps. Solid state DOES NOT SOUND LIKE tube amps. Never will.

Just wanted to get that off my chest.

Guest nature_1

the DL4 is a great effects pedal, one of the best delays i've ever heard.

a lot of their stuff is total tosh, but i like the effects modelling, and the toneport i have is pretty neat too :D

yes we all know it's pish, people rant about it (and behringer, crate, pish marshalls mg-av-whatever-they-are etc) all the time on here :up:

to be honest i don't think i've ever heard someone really 'swear by' line6 or similar. people use them cause they're cheaper than valve amps. i guess other minor consolations are solid state stuff is more managable (lighter, doesn't need revalved etc) and they don't have to be turned up full to get the, ah, best tone.

i assume you're talking about the amps and multi-fx/amp modeller unit things. don't know anything about the delay pedals or whatever else they make.

The amps are good, like Scott said, if you want to use it as a practice amp but they don't have the balls to cut it live. They simply don't cut through at all even if they are mic'd up. The tone modulation on the amps saps all resemblance of tone that was there in the first place.

However, not all their products are shite. They make two pedals that i've used that are great: the DL-4 and The Verbzilla and the PODs are good for recording demos if you want to experiment with sounds (however like Jan says they are pretty rubbish live).

Guest DustyDeviada

I think the Pod does a pretty good job for recording and home use, you can't always crank up a Marshall.

Haven't played their amps though.

I heard the guy from The Cherrykicks playing a Duotone at Moshulu going straight from the XLRs on the back mixing the recto and JCM800 models. Sounded pretty damn good to me - better than the tone from the other players who were using my JMP MKII and 4x12" that night.

I've got Flextone III Plus combo that I use for practice, recording, Cpt Tom's and teaching and it's excellent value for money.

Their products are certainly not "fucking pish" and the accompanying software is excellent for experimenting with sounds. The online user community is good as well.

I wouldn't use one live, but as Dusty rightly says, ye canny crank up a valve amp in the hoose.

(well I did once with my H&K whilst pished - my ears were ringing for days!)

aye dave mustaine stands in front of one, gets a few pics taken and gets paid a load of cash

line 6 are garbage gear, we all know that, but the real point is...the price!!! for that price you could get a real amp,

does dave mustaine use a line6 amp live?

dl4 pedal is pretty good although is prone to breaking.

you would be better off with a tc electronics pedal

Last I heard, Dave Mustain was using Rocktron Prophecy pre amp. I checked and he still has prophecy and a 'signature' line 6 'beta' model.

www.MEGADETH.com Dave Mustaine

Time before that it was Marshall jmp-1 pre amp, i think.

Things i've noticed. The reverb on the original pod is terrible. The reverb on the more recent ones is an improvement.

Wouldn't want to use it on a recording unless I wanted a more 'artificial' sound. Apparently is used on more commercial recordings than you would believe though.

DL4 and Echo Pro is good. Some of their other effects are good also.

Not bad for practicing. I sort of wish the pod had more practice features like metranome and loop machine though. That would be great. I guess that would make their DL4 and echo park less useful though, so they aren't going to do that anytime soon.

If you want a guitar pre amp which can model the sound of many amps. This is the way to go SANS AMP PSA-1.1 I own one and it is best as part of a larger setup. Signal path is 100% analog also.

which is probably there for endorsement purposes

also, i highly doubt that the standard line6 cabs have vintage 30's in em (i may be wrong like). i played through a couple of line6 cabs once, really terrible cabinets, i actually had to check each speaker to see if one was broken

at the end of the day gear like line6 is designed to be affordable and aimed at bedroom/new musicians. with a bit of marketing moolah and push they are always going to sell well. when i started playing music i didnt really care what i bought as long as i made noise. one marshall vs100 and crappy japanese strat, i was delighted.

Guest DustyDeviada

Remember reading an interview with the dude from The Black Crowes and he said that they use the POD quite a lot in the studio, even though they have all the vintage amps and stuff.

Elliot Easton has also used it on the latest recordings by The New Cars I believe.

Michael Romeo had a POD pro in a video I recently watched. He also had 4x12" cabs and a mesa boogie power amp. So bascily, it is just a glorified fuzz box for him. Still reckon his tone could be improved, as much as I like him.

In Flames used the original POD with Peavey 5150 for a while. Same deal, it acts as a distortion pedal for them.

U get what u paid for... :-) Only valve amp sounds like valve amp... Anyway, I cant imagine my self playing through marshall 1987x on all the way up on the volume just to get the beautiful marshall drive :-) That's why most of people have all kind multy effect pedals or just distortion pedals...

I couldn't afford to get mesa boogie, marshall, hiwatt and all others amps just to get the tone wich i need at the moment..

Was it about digital modelling amps being shit? ?(

It had a mention of a drum at least, and the fact the world doesn't turn to the beat of just one. :laughing:

Auch, never mind. Was meant to be a point behind that one but I forgot that in terms of gear talk making decisions as to what equipment to try and buy is based purely upon other people's thoughts towards it. That said, I've never actually tried any line 6 gear other than some of the tone core pedals, so perhaps they really are as terrible as they are made out to be.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever tried out either the Vetta or Vetta II? While the vast majority of Line 6 products have entry(ish) level prices, with the exception of course of the tone core line which seem rather steep, both Vettas are priced at roughly the equivalent of a middle of the range valve amp which seems a little odd if the overall quality of both is similar to one of the lower end products.

Of course, that could be down to the fact Line6 are money hungry bastards, but who knows.

aye dave mustaine stands in front of one, gets a few pics taken and gets paid a load of cash

line 6 are garbage gear, we all know that, but the real point is...the price!!! for that price you could get a real amp,

does dave mustaine use a line6 amp live?

dl4 pedal is pretty good although is prone to breaking.

you would be better off with a tc electronics pedal

Lol, true. I doubt he uses the Line-6 amp live. He was fucked over by digitech.

Muse and Meshuggah are also fans of Line6, I think (could be wrong) Meshuggah also use the Line6 for their distortion.

But yeah, if I wanted a decent distortion..I wouldnt go for a Line 6 amp.

Ironically, the sound guy at Kef thought my metal tone was better than Jimmers. It was through a cheap line6 amp and a 14 year old BC Rich vs Jimmers Powerball and Hanneman ESP. When the guy said this to Jimmer, I thought he was going to burst with anger.