aberdeen-music

Amazon plan DRM-free music store

Guest Savant

Guest Savant

From Punktastic.com:

Popular internet retailer Amazon has announced that they will be launching their own iTunes competitor music store, but unlike any other major service, the store will be entirely free of usage restrictions and support the ubiquitous MP3 format. The site is promising 12,000 labels, though the only major label on board is EMI. While this is certainly the most substantial undertaking by a major retailer, other DRM-free stores have existed with substantial indie prescence for a number of years. Besides leader Emusic.com, companies like Audiolunchbox.com, Downloadpunk.com and others have existed DRM-free since their respective foundings. No launch date has been announced yet, but they are promising "later this year."

certainly interesting...

I was reading a sad article in the eye magazine, about the death of "cover art", where in the future, due to downloads outstripping CD / LP sales, there won't be a need for album art (well, there will always be someone somewhere doing it, but not as "the norm")

Imagine a world where no music release has art - design to support (?) it.

I like the idea that bands like tool, or even (as I've just posted) john cage can make something of their release, to make sure that piracy is inconsequential - the "product" isn't just the best two tunes on the lp, but the whole damn package.

It's that Fetishization of products, I think we need it, it makes us appreciate something more than just question to find the cheapest (or free) best songs form a band...it's more about care and love than a quick fix, wham bam thank you mam attitude that seems to be developing in the cynical cyber world of downloads.

Blah...nice Hardy's shiraz, can you tell?

Guest Savant
certainly interesting...

I was reading a sad article in the eye magazine, about the death of "cover art", where in the future, due to downloads outstripping CD / LP sales, there won't be a need for album art (well, there will always be someone somewhere doing it, but not as "the norm")

Imagine a world where no music release has art - design to support (?) it.

I like the idea that bands like tool, or even (as I've just posted) john cage can make something of their release, to make sure that piracy is inconsequential - the "product" isn't just the best two tunes on the lp, but the whole damn package.

It's that Fetishization of products, I think we need it, it makes us appreciate something more than just question to find the cheapest (or free) best songs form a band...it's more about care and love than a quick fix, wham bam thank you mam attitude that seems to be developing in the cynical cyber world of downloads.

Blah...nice Hardy's shiraz, can you tell?

I'd often thought about artwork not needing to go with albums anymore when downloads take over. Although there'd be no physical product I don't necessarily think it'd be a bad thing; all you'd have is the music which is the whole reason you're buying the cd in the first place. A band or artist has to rely more on the music to carry their 'image'. Everyone's just used to having artwork with an album because that's the way it's been since popular music began.

But artwork could easily be downloaded with the album anyway & it is even an oppostunity to expand on what's already available. We're no longer limited by a 12"x12" or 5 1/2" (or whatever cd's are) bit of paper on which to put artwork: we're now able to include more than one piece of artwork or even animations/interactive content.

As I'd said in my last sentence, I think it's the symbiosis of art and music that makes it a necessity. - we get online videos, images etc anyway, but the idea that you won't have a "physical" product is a bit depressing.

I've got a 300 gig hard drive full of tunes (bought and downloaded) but I've also got my collection (vinyl and cd), and would miss the "objects"

As I'd said, it just seems "throwaway", yes, music is about the music (!?) - but when you've got a faceless mp3 to download, you kind of lose touch with the physical, the band (no pics - no art (other than online))

There will always be bands like shellac, tool and such like, so that'll keep the fetishists (me) happy.

peep