aberdeen-music

another recording question?

citizens_X

I was messing around with the acoustic guitar in one of the spare rooms at My house and really liked the way the guitar and singing sounded in this particular room due to the reverb and the rooms acoustics... I guess.

I was wondering what would be the best way to record this?

could I just put a microphone in the center of the room and just hit record on a 4 track and play?

I've never really recorded anything before and don't have any recording equipment, I thought I could get a microphone, mic stand and a cheap 4 track, would this work?

Thanks Guys.:up:

Lloyd

I was messing around with the acoustic guitar in one of the spare rooms at My house and really liked the way the guitar and singing sounded in this particular room due to the reverb and the rooms acoustics... I guess.

I was wondering what would be the best way to record this?

could I just put a microphone in the center of the room and just hit record on a 4 track and play?

I've never really recorded anything before and don't have any recording equipment, I thought I could get a microphone, mic stand and a cheap 4 track, would this work?

Thanks Guys.:up:

Lloyd

Your plan would probably give dire quality unless you have a really good microphone. Even then, if your guitar work is anything more than basic strumming it won't pick it up unless it's an instrument mike, in which case your vocals will sound poor. Then again, by pooor I mean not crystal, which could be what your going for - that kind of rough sound mind work if its just acoustic stuff.

You're better off having a mic for the vocals and an instrument mic for the guitar - that should pick up some of the decent sounds in the room, and for you preferable to plugging the guitar straight into the four track. But even that might lose the "sound" of the room.

Your best bet is probably to invest in a cheap four track, vocal and instrument mics, a couple of stand, and just mess around to see what sounds best. I've got some sweet acoustic sounds with a couple of crappy microphones and an emty room before.

My four track is a Korg D4, does the job nicely

KORG.co.uk :: D4 Digital Recorder

I've had it for a while, it really does the job for recording some basic tracks.

Or, you could go for something computer based, my mate has a Mackie Spike, which only has two inputs but you can obvioulsy piss around with the final sound a lot more.

Mackie - Spike

You can get either of these for about 100, and a couple of microphones shouldn't be too much, but it's worth buying decent ones. It'll pay off.