aberdeen-music

Roy Harper at The Lemon Tree

Did anyone else here catch folk legend Roy Harper Sunday, and if so, what did you think? Unaccustomed as I am to shows of this kind, I was nevertheless deeply impressed by both the man and his music. Amusing and brilliant.

If folks wanna check out Roy's work, or would simply like to find out more about the man, then check out his main web page here: Roy Harper Official Info and Shop

I've also seen Roy about 5 times, but felt he was on top form on Sunday....and seemed to enjoy himself, too!

I'm a bit of a Harper obsessive, and have nearly everything he's done (the collection includes acetates, foreign versions, one-sided test-pressings etc).

It was great hearing him do a few songs he rarely plays live, plus some brand new ones.

Personally, seeing Roy a few days after Julian Cope made for a great week:up:

Now if only we could entice Tom Rapp over for a Lemon Tree gig!!!

That would've been a great one to catch!!!

I first saw him at the Usher Hall in 75...he did a wonderful set...the first half was acoustic, then, half-way through 'Hallucinating Light' the band came on and started to play (Chris Spedding on guitar).

I've just done a naff cover of 'Davy' for my 'May' CD (I've a feeling I've covered it before....ageing memory and all that).

Yes I was there, waited a long time since his last Aberdeen gig and yes it was a good one, although tinged with sadness for it might be some time before anyone sees him perform live again. I've seen him 5 times also, first time Knebworth 1974 too. I also have most of his albums. Last time I saw him was the Renfrew Ferry 2 or 3 years ago. Roy's "Another Day" has got to be one of the saddest songs ever recorded, always brings a lump to my throat.....and almost to tears the other night!

I was mesmerized from the off with his "how does it feel" It was the first ever time i'd seen him and i hope not the last. So, yeh, i was blown away. I felt matt chamberlin's guitarwork was slightly overwrought on "don't you grieve" although his earlier solo set was beautiful (especially the piece inspired by lapping tidal waters) One of Roy's new songs (the rude one) was also excellent.