aberdeen-music

FOUND+Bracken (Anticon)+Gareth S Brown

I'm not sure having a local support is any guarantee of bringing people in. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Surely the opportunity to support the local 'scene' by adding local bands to bills should be reason enough? For example, the recent Gallows gig in the tunnels was a sell out, how many of the kids going to that show would be going to see a local band (if there was one); probably none. However fans seeing a local bands name on the poster, forums and at the gig itself boosts the identity of the band, possibly leading to busier gigs in the future etc.

I agree flooding a bill with local supports in attempt to boost punters is detrimental to an evening. Though surely the step from playing shitty gigs to ten drunk people to a room full of actual music fans (even if they have never heard you) should be given to the varied local acts in Aberdeen.

Pity i missed the gig, but i was still reeling from the Twilight Sad!

H

Surely the opportunity to support the local 'scene' by adding local bands to bills should be reason enough? For example, the recent Gallows gig in the tunnels was a sell out, how many of the kids going to that show would be going to see a local band (if there was one); probably none. However fans seeing a local bands name on the poster, forums and at the gig itself boosts the identity of the band, possibly leading to busier gigs in the future etc.

I agree flooding a bill with local supports in attempt to boost punters is detrimental to an evening. Though surely the step from playing shitty gigs to ten drunk people to a room full of actual music fans (even if they have never heard you) should be given to the varied local acts in Aberdeen.

And we do all this - when the event suits and allows.

hmmmmm some of this i agree with, but most of it i dont.

its not the promoters job to increase the bands awareness, its the bands job to do that.

A large part of this is actually approaching the promoter, being keen to get onto the bill and showing an interest in the show/that type of music (and other shows). It would convince me that it is a good move, and that they will actually try to get people along. Another part of it is, whether the local bands actually show up to the gigs i put on. I dont mind giving random people a gig if they are good, but if they are not willing to support me and what I am doing, i am less likely to support them.

I would rather have a quality line up of out of town acts, rather than a good headliner and bad/unsuited local bands.