aberdeen-music

Megadeth - United Abominations

Red Neck Man

I'm dead impressed. I quite liked the free MP3s Dave put for download on the run up to this albums release - but the rest of the album craps all over them! I think it's Megadeth's best album in years! Standout tracks for me are: United Abominations, Blessed Are The Dead, Play For Blood, Amerikhastan, Burnt Ice & Washington Is Next

The idea of a re-make of A Tout Le Monde absolutely disgusted me at first, but after hearing it, I actually quite like it, it's substantially different enough from the original, and holds its own in my opinion. Never Walk Alone... A Call To Arms is a bloody good track as well!

Sleep Walker & Gears of War, although weaker than the above, are decent tracks in my opinion, and still fit quite nicely onto the album. The only track I can't stomache on the album is You're Dead. :up:

I quite like the whole thing - certainly the best record since Youthanasia - whcih I also liked. I'm hard pushed to pick duff tarcks - except I really don't like the title track - I hate it when bands crowbar in Yank-centric politics and look like idiots (see Superjoint Ritual).

All in all, rather good, and even tempting me to head to the Barrowlands show...

Ok, I've got halfway through this album and it's fucking arse.

I agree completely with Medichi above about the politics bit, its fucking pop-politics that make Dave Mustaine seem like a moron, I nearly hanged myself during United Abominations and I'm not looking forward to the track called Amerikhastan. Come on.

Musically, it's obviously Megadeth, but it's uninspired bollocks, the verse riff in Sleepwalker is the same sodding riff as the first track on the last album! And when I first heard THAT I called it a waterdown Rust In Peace rip off. It just sounds like Re-The System Has Failed...or more specifically The "Failed" System Has Failed. Who even cares about the solo's and who does them anymore? They are totally forgettable.

I will give the rest a shot tomorrow, but I'm going to listen to St. Anger just now to remind me that one of the big metal bands out there has some fucking testicles.

"One day I'll dance on your grave... even if you are buried at sea" WHAT???!!!

• 5 weeks later...

8-)

I in general quite like the new Megadeth album, in fact I would say I like it a lot (apart from the dodgy political angle which Americans are generally never very good at, notible exceptions of course).

I can see the material working pretty well live. Last time I saw Megadeth live Dave was completely trollied and I couldn't even figure which track he was trying to play! Also saw them on the Clash Of The Titans tour at Ingleston and Slayer put them to the sword big style.

I hear the last two tours though have been way better though so will try and see them sometime through the year if our paths cross.

St Anger, yes that is a testicles album indeed.:laughing: Christ Illusion, that's how the big thrash bands are meant to keep it real or even more so, Shovel Headed Killing Machine from Exodus, a real paint stripper of an album! :band:

I must be mellowing though in my old age as I just can't stop listening to Within Temptation's new album "The Heart Of Everything", tremendous stuff though took me a few listens to get it.

I have changed my mind about this album. I thought it was ok but really, its not.

Mustaine seems to currently believe that if he can sing about politics then he is intelligent.

The music itself is not bad but the lyrics are cringe-worthy. Friedman's solos were inspiring and really memorable... Drover...while technically able to shred, his solos are tasteless and boring.

Some good riffs but that is about it.

I have changed my mind about this album. I thought it was ok but really, its not.

Mustaine seems to currently believe that if he can sing about politics then he is intelligent.

The music itself is not bad but the lyrics are cringe-worthy. Friedman's solos were inspiring and really memorable... Drover...while technically able to shred, his solos are tasteless and boring.

Some good riffs but that is about it.

Hog, you have got the point. I agree.