aberdeen-music

Sansamp Bass Driver

Acey Trixx

looking at getting one. anyone got one of these can offer any opinions on them?also on the website i noticed a 3 channel programmable version be definitly interested if anyone had an experience with these. and am i right im thinking that as its a di box i wouldnt need to use an amp...i would manage fine with the sansamp

any help appreciated.

and am i right im thinking that as its a di box i wouldnt need to use an amp...i would manage fine with the sansamp

Yes....and no.

Any sort of studio work you'd be fine with but playing live is a different matter. Your bass amp is your monitor at the very minimum. You could always ask the engineer to put the bass through the stage monitors (if they have any) instead but these are normally set up for vocals (sometimes even correctly), tend to have filters on them so the bass end doesn't blow the monitors and almost completely remove your control over your stage volume and tone.

ok..im just currently unsure what would be a better setup to go for for a (hopefully) soon to be gigging bassist. i had heard good things about the quality of the sansamp bass driver di's but not entilrey sure on their application if they needed and amp or not and so as a result if this would be a good option or if i would be better off saving up for longer and gettin an half stack.

ok..im just currently unsure what would be a better setup to go for for a (hopefully) soon to be gigging bassist. i had heard good things about the quality of the sansamp bass driver di's but not entilrey sure on their application if they needed and amp or not and so as a result if this would be a good option or if i would be better off saving up for longer and gettin an half stack.

If your just starting out I'd put the sansamp well down the shopping list if I was you.

Save up for the best bass amp you can get round about 300-500W. That should give you enough volume without having to push the amp too hard.

Until then you can arrange to borrow an amp from one of the other acts, hire one, or if you're lucky there'll be a house amp (drummonds and the tunnels do, off the top of my head).

i have experience using the para driver and the triamp bass driver (the one you are referring to) as well. avoid the para driver, it is not what you want, it works for bass, but is meant for various other applications too.

the sansamp bass driver is great, but i strongly recommend using it with an amp. Don't you use a behringer head?

It make work quite well with this as it can turn it from sounding dull into a bright a lively valve type tone. Loads of different types of setting on it too, but if i were you, i would go all out and buy the sansamp rbi rackmount as it has a mid control which the bass driver does not. And I find that the bass driver scoops mids quite a bit.

But bet a head and a cab/combo and get the rbi rackmount or the bass driver di as it can make poor eqiupment sound a hell of a lot better. I use it with my Ampeg and maxi uses it with his mesa, to make it sound even more amazing! :up:

A typical D.I box delivers the sound of your bass to the mixing desk, with the intention of it being as 'un-coloured' as possible.

The Sansamp Bass D.I driver attempts to make the signal going to the mixing desk, sound more like the one from your bass amplifier.

I would say good bass amplifier and bass guitar should be more of a priority for most people, though.

Not all sound engineers will let you put bass through their monitors. Some of the cheaper monitors really cannot handle the bass. With good stage monitors, it shouldn't be a problem though.

well if you think you can afford it, you should go to sound control in dundee and they can sort you out with 12 months interest free or packages over 2 years with low interest rates. So maybe save for an ashdown mag head with a 4x10 ashdown cab. As long as you can afford to pay it, you will get it that same day.

Then get the sansamp, because it will just make a fairly decent amp even better.

R and B have regular stocks of ashdown stuff to, so you can always go try it out there. And if you are really up for it, maybe stretch to getting an ashdown abm head or even a cheper model of the ampeg solid state heads.

The tone you are after lies with ampeg, trust me.

:up:

The tone you are after lies with ampeg, trust me.:

quite possibly but aint ever played one so cant comment...one amp i have played and loved is the marshall vba 400 with a 412 cab...but thats just a little bit out of my price league..but i'll definitly check that shop in dundee over the summer see if anything takes my fancy especially with those repayment options makes things alot easier than saving up i always think.

yeah it is.nikki sixx uses basson cabs these days not sure about heads but i wouldnt doubt it was ampeg. and i never liked the nevermind tone but i agree the other 2 have awesome tone. i'll look into how much an ampeg rig is gonna cost me and if its gonna even be an option. but i have a feeling that unless i get very rich it wont be in saying though though the vba aint cheap either.

i can only emphasise what others have said on here

you cant really go wrong with the ampeg stuff, even the solid state stuff is decent.

ashdown stuff is nae bad, but from recent reports, they tend to break a lot. not many amp techs kicking around in abdn means you would have to send it away.

if you are strapped for cash try and pick up one of the lower priced ampeg heads, sure they aint going to be the best amp in the world, but you will still get everything that you need form it.

for me the real difference in how a bass sounds live is all about an appropriate choice of bass cabinet, more so in smaller venues. i would only ever reccomend ampeg bass cabs. if you have the money and transport go for the 6x10 or 8x10.

i can only emphasise what others have said on here

you cant really go wrong with the ampeg stuff, even the solid state stuff is decent.

ashdown stuff is nae bad, but from recent reports, they tend to break a lot. not many amp techs kicking around in abdn means you would have to send it away.

if you are strapped for cash try and pick up one of the lower priced ampeg heads, sure they aint going to be the best amp in the world, but you will still get everything that you need form it.

for me the real difference in how a bass sounds live is all about an appropriate choice of bass cabinet, more so in smaller venues. i would only ever reccomend ampeg bass cabs. if you have the money and transport go for the 6x10 or 8x10.

you are hilarious!

You love the 8x10 that much?

Ampeg will be employing you as a promotional director soon hahahahaha!

It is a beast of a cab though.

And Grant, look into an Ampeg SVT450H. About 500 for a decent quality solid state head.

Last you for a few years at least.

And maxi is right about the Ashdown stuff, although it can be good, it does tend to break quite a bit.

x

you are hilarious!

You love the 8x10 that much?

Ampeg will be employing you as a promotional director soon hahahahaha!

It is a beast of a cab though.

And Grant, look into an Ampeg SVT450H. About 500 for a decent quality solid state head.

Last you for a few years at least.

And maxi is right about the Ashdown stuff, although it can be good, it does tend to break quite a bit.

x

hahahaha

nah its more of a case of dont get too hung up about having an amazing bass head, you can get away with a low quality head and a great cab. crap trace heads sound infinitely better through a good bass cab

but i suppose its all about what kind of venues ye play, we play smaller venues with vocal pas more often than bigger

well i'll definitly look into the ampeg although i would have to play it first...budgetwise ashdown looks like a better option but i would rather play both before i made any decisions about where to spend the cash. definitly wouldnt be gettin an 810 cab would only be a 410..no way im gonna manage to really transport an 810 anywhere plus is it not a tad overkill for most small venues?

Small venues like what?

I have been to numerous gigs at the tunnels, kef, east neuk, the lemon tree and the bass always sounds best when an 8x10 or a similiar large cab is used.

No matter what anyone says, Ampeg are generally better than most brands, the artists who use them speaks for itself really doesnt it?

Ashdown are good, but not as good as Ampeg.

scott

x

yeah i always thought in venues that size it would be a little bit of overkill..regardless it would be a 410 im looking for purely out of practical reasons...would 2 410s produce a similar effect? (getting abit ahead of myself but just wondering) but i will definitly try out that ampeg when i find one. got my tokai thunderbird over christmas so im looking to sorting out my amp over the next few months or so

well apparently if you have 2 4x10s you dont get the same amount of power from the amp, as your amp is splitting the power being sent to these cabs in half. So I don't know, from my experience, it isnt as good as having the one cab, but it would work quite well.

Im selling 2 cabs if you are interested?

a 4x10 as well

x

two 4x10s is generally a more bass heavy cab than the 6 or 8x10, you get the superb attack and clarity from the 8x10 whilst still maintaining the excellent low end.

but aye, im not telling ye to get an 8x10. merely kissing the ground that they rumble and wheel along

ahahahahaha!

+1

The man knows it!

Small venues like what?

I have been to numerous gigs at the tunnels, kef, east neuk, the lemon tree and the bass always sounds best when an 8x10 or a similiar large cab is used.

No matter what anyone says, Ampeg are generally better than most brands, the artists who use them speaks for itself really doesnt it?

Ashdown are good, but not as good as Ampeg.

scott

x

hey scott,

yeah i've got a sansamp because ive got my cheap ibanez and need to try and get some of the high end through, pretty cool bit of equipment has some really nice overdrive tones as well. The one you talked about with the memory function is the one to go for, my one doesnt have that and i kind of wish i had got it now.

think you are going to go for it? you must be fairly minted spending all this on bass haha suppose your getting rid of those cabs

as for ashdown and ampeg, come on ashdown are cheap as hell compared to ampeg, not really a fair comparision, although there is a new hand made bass tube amp range made in the uk out which might have a fighting chance as its of similar price range.

i haven't tried out enough amps to fairly say which i think is best but i think i would choose aguilar or eden over ampeg but again need to try them all out properly again

Tom

hey scott,

yeah i've got a sansamp because ive got my cheap ibanez and need to try and get some of the high end through, pretty cool bit of equipment has some really nice overdrive tones as well. The one you talked about with the memory function is the one to go for, my one doesnt have that and i kind of wish i had got it now.

think you are going to go for it? you must be fairly minted spending all this on bass haha suppose your getting rid of those cabs

as for ashdown and ampeg, come on ashdown are cheap as hell compared to ampeg, not really a fair comparision, although there is a new hand made bass tube amp range made in the uk out which might have a fighting chance as its of similar price range.

i haven't tried out enough amps to fairly say which i think is best but i think i would choose aguilar or eden over ampeg but again need to try them all out properly again

Tom

I have no money, and yes, i went out and got the 8x10. Its a monster.

I bought all my equipment with credit.

Got a bass for 1300

A head for 1250

and my new cab was 845

Just need insurance now.

My only arguement to that is most of my favourite bassist use Ampeg, and I love the tone.

Loads of bassist use the same head as mine. Its a great head. Gets you close to the tone of a tube amp with the help of the sansamp as its a solidstate/tube hybrid head. A hell of a lot lighter than a tube amp.

Looking forward to seeing these new Peavey tube amps though. Look sexy, probably sound sexy and only weigh 39 pounds!!!!

A tube amp weighing 39 pounds!

Awesome!

I have never tried eden, or aguilar or other manufacturers of that ilk, they all come highly recommended, but most of them are solid state, and im simply not interested in them.

And the Triamp is a genius idea. 3 settings which can be saved, very handy. Had mine for quite a while now. had its moments where I wanted to get rid of it, but at the moment, I really need it.