aberdeen-music

Best two-piece bands

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Guest Tam o' Shantie

I've been thinking about this setup a lot and can't get enough of the sound. It's such a fucking sweet idea, so let's get talkin' about it. Please only discuss bands who play it straight, I don't care if the band's only got 2 members if they play with a full band on record or with hired musicians on stage. To this end, a set up like The Yeah Yeah Yeahs is acceptable discussion, with the actual backline consisting of 2 members with a solo vocalist completing the lineup.

Currently listening to Death From Above 1979, White Stripes and YYYs. Very fond of Mates Of State too, however checking out some Man Is The Bastard vids online, they seem to have 4 members in some of 'em whereas I always thought of them as a 2 piece.

Anybody played in a band like this? What effects are needed to get a thick sound out of just one guitar or bass? Is it possible to do it on the cheap, without 2 amps, whammy pedals etc?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody played in a band like this? What effects are needed to get a thick sound out of just one guitar or bass? Is it possible to do it on the cheap, without 2 amps, whammy pedals etc?

Bastard Squad don't even bother with guitars: vocals, drums, and a ton of effects pedal feedback will do us just fine, ta.

Carter USM circa 1992 are probably my two piece of choice, by the by.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

And how the fuck could I forget Lightning Bolt, although it's slightly less interesting to hear such a noisy band with that setup. USAISAMONSTER's first LP is also good.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

i'm gonna download some tyrannosaurus rex and check them out. if i like it, i'll buy some of their records.

How could i forget SUICIDE?!

oh, and has anybody had a think about bass and guitar sounds?

Guest Tam o' Shantie
That narrows it down to just the White Stripes and bands no-one has heard of...

Well there have been about 20 suggestions so far, and my purpose in starting this thread was to find out about more bands who are doing it, so it's more beneficial if I haven't heard of them before.

black keys

Correct answer!

They have a really big, raw sound and the drums have a quality natural sound aswell, I hate really crystal clear over-miced drum sounds. I want to hear every little crackle of the skins.

I really, really like The Blow at the moment aswell. They're a two piece Pop/Indie/Electro affair, but I'm not sure what their live set-up is. There's live drums on the recordings, so I reckon they both just do a bit of everything.

www.myspace.com/theblowus