aberdeen-music

Home video cassettes to DVD

Guest She-Wolf

Guest She-Wolf

My ancient camcorder doesn't work anymore so I can't play my old home video casettes through it. Is it possible to send the cassettes somewhere which would put them onto DVD for me or is it something I could do myself?

Guest She-Wolf

The cassettes are really small though, they are not normal videos.

AVC at Altens might still do that sort of thing but if it's a large quantity it could be quite expensive. I'd suggest giving them a phone though.

Tel: 01224 248007

Thanks I'll try them.

I think you can get "adaptors" that you put the tapes into - they're VHS sized and then fit inside the video player. I've definately seen them for old camcorder tapes but not sure what the score is with MiniDV or whatever.

There's another option -

Amazon.co.uk: Adaptec VideOh! CD - Video input adapter - USB - NTSC, PAL: Electronics & Photo

Thanks I'll try them.

Aye, they'll be VHS-C tapes then?

You can still buy the VHS-C to VHS convertor tapes from the internet, so in theory you could buy a VHS/DVD Recorder combi and one of those and trandfer them across yourself. Or indeed play them back through a VHS machine.

Unless they are Mini DV or Hi8 tapes of course.

I think you can get "adaptors" that you put the tapes into - they're VHS sized and then fit inside the video player. I've definately seen them for old camcorder tapes but not sure what the score is with MiniDV or whatever.

There's another option -

Amazon.co.uk: Adaptec VideOh! CD - Video input adapter - USB - NTSC, PAL: Electronics & Photo

Arghhhh, beaten to it :p

Guest She-Wolf
Then either buy a DVD recorder or PM me (I have a DVD recorder).

The cassettes still wouldn't fit in the video adapter so that wouldnt work. Thanks anyway though!

I'll see what AVC say. I could always try and get my old camcorder fixed and watch them through that.

Guest DustyDeviada

Yeah, all you would need to do is hook a (working) camcorder up to a DVD recorder.

I don't think you get adapters for Video 8 into VHS, it was a totally different system.

jessops do this, it's 25 for 1 hour, 35 for 2 hours, 45 for 4 hours and a tenner for each hour thereafter so if you've got tons of tapes it's worth sticking them all in at once. we have to send them away and it takes about two weeks turnaround.

not necessarily cheap but it's a good service.

Guest DustyDeviada

Well, if you can get a working video 8 camera I can safely say that I would undercut those prices. Still might be as well buying your own DVD recorder though.