aberdeen-music

The Lemonheads - The Lemon Tree

Guest bluesxman

Guest bluesxman

So I saw The Icarus Line in 2004 at the Glasgow Barrowlands supporting The Distillers and thought they were awful, an unintelligible garble of squealing guitar and the vocalist wailing incoherently over the top. Whether it was the sound that night that did them no favours or they have just got much better, but I really enjoyed them last night, a nice psychedelic garage-punk swirl reminiscent of The Stooges, Mudhoney, 2nd-phase Primal Scream among others. Looked like it was going to be a very short set after they walked off following the extended jam through I Wanna Be Your Dog whilst amp problems were sorted, but they reappeared and didn't seem to have let the problems faze them.

The Lemonheads were great, some bum notes and wayward singing at times, but Evan Dando looked like he was having fun just playing and seemed to want to keep going. Nice mixture of material, it was good to see them not ignoring their commercial peak and playing a lot of 'It's A Shame About Ray' and 'Come On Feel The Lemonheads' material, a lot of bands try to downplay their more popular moments to gain credibility. And the years of drug abuse obviously preserved him well, bastard still looks like he did way back when.

So I saw The Icarus Line in 2004 at the Glasgow Barrowlands supporting The Distillers and thought they were awful, an unintelligible garble of squealing guitar and the vocalist wailing incoherently over the top. Whether it was the sound that night that did them no favours or they have just got much better, but I really enjoyed them last night, a nice psychedelic garage-punk swirl reminiscent of The Stooges, Mudhoney, 2nd-phase Primal Scream among others. Looked like it was going to be a very short set after they walked off following the extended jam through I Wanna Be Your Dog whilst amp problems were sorted, but they reappeared and didn't seem to have let the problems faze them.

The Lemonheads were great, some bum notes and wayward singing at times, but Evan Dando looked like he was having fun just playing and seemed to want to keep going. Nice mixture of material, it was good to see them not ignoring their commercial peak and playing a lot of 'It's A Shame About Ray' and 'Come On Feel The Lemonheads' material, a lot of bands try to downplay their more popular moments to gain credibility. And the years of drug abuse obviously preserved him well, bastard still looks like he did way back when.

well, i hated the icarus line - it was more 2nd rate Primal Scream - well, bobby gillespie - than 2nd phase by the singer and i thought the sound wa sjust a shambles. was glad to see them go, i'm afraid!

Lemonheads were also a shambles - but in a more endearing way. At least they had songs! Fifth time I'd seen them (well, including a couple of Dando solo shows) and I tried to remember if they were so shambolic 14 years ago - and came to the conclusion they probably were. It seemed like Evan had "had a couple" before coming on stage and had got some new effects pedals as a present and never used them before. However, the songs won over and i really enjoyed myself. Highlights for me were "it's a shame about ray", "being around", "confetti", "rudderless" and "into my arms". thought the acoustic part of the show was great - in fact, it was the highlight.

strangely, I had on Radio 6 this morning and they played "Outdoor Type".

Guest bluesxman
well, i hated the icarus line - it was more 2nd rate Primal Scream - well, bobby gillespie - than 2nd phase by the singer and i thought the sound wa sjust a shambles. was glad to see them go, i'm afraid!

Lemonheads were also a shambles - but in a more endearing way. At least they had songs! Fifth time I'd seen them (well, including a couple of Dando solo shows) and I tried to remember if they were so shambolic 14 years ago - and came to the conclusion they probably were. It seemed like Evan had "had a couple" before coming on stage and had got some new effects pedals as a present and never used them before. However, the songs won over and i really enjoyed myself. Highlights for me were "it's a shame about ray", "being around", "confetti", "rudderless" and "into my arms". thought the acoustic part of the show was great - in fact, it was the highlight.

strangely, I had on Radio 6 this morning and they played "Outdoor Type".

I was behind the barrier to the right of the sound desk, sound was near-perfect there, where were you located? I was quite amused by the Icarus Line singer's lapse into a bizarre Mick Jagger style accent during one song.

My better half and myself debated Evan's refreshment level on the way home, I thought he was supposed to have cleaned up these days but he seemed as if he'd definitely had a few beers at least....I couldn't quite decide whether he had no clue what he was doing with his pedals or whether he just had a strange idea of what sounded good.

Guest bluesxman
I was directly behind the sound desk. I thought the Icarus Line sounded "muddy" - especially the drums.

Hmm, only thing I really noticed was the vocals getting quieter at times. Ah well.

pretty much agree with all of that

Didn't get The Icarus Line at all. 2nd rate Bobby G? 3rd I would say.

The Lemonheads songs definitely won over and, as you say, the acoustic part was just effortlessly good.

Good stuff

Compared to Julian Cope, the Lemonheads were meerly average. A bit too much faffing around for my liking, although they definitely got better as the set went on.

The Icarus Line were a bunch of twats. What was all that "fix the amp or we leave" shite? You are the support! Get a grip. The only good song of their set wasn't even their own.

Worryingly I was also stood behind the mixing desk. I was very amused when it all went dead just before the Lemonheads. Perhaps that's the official standing location for aberdeen-music folk at the Lemontree.

Pete

inthehills

Worryingly I was also stood behind the mixing desk. I was very amused when it all went dead just before the Lemonheads. Perhaps that's the official standing location for aberdeen-music folk at the Lemontree.

it's the place for the 30-somethings to clutch their pints and get misty eyed about their days in the mosh pit....

well, it is for me anyway.

Next time we should all wear name tags.

it's the place for the 30-somethings to clutch their pints and get misty eyed about their days in the mosh pit....

well, it is for me anyway.

Next time we should all wear name tags.

oh man, that's me! yeah..... Mosh pits....sigh

I have a strict policy of non-disclosure of ID to other aberdeen-music folk. But we should have a wee badge with an A-M logo and a special handshake. That way you'd know other aberdeen-music folk even if you didn't know who they were.

pete

inthehills

I was strangely indifferent to the Icarus Line. Their new garage punk sound was nice, but not very attention grabbing.

Really enjoyed the Lemonheads. Good mixture of stuff, although the set only started gathering steam maybe 3 or 4 songs in for some reason, but when it did... yas.

I thought the Icarus Line were generally a bag of wank. Would have been better if the boy's amp had not been fixed meaning less wank over the rest of the wank. Their drummer was excellent and they are clearly all good musicians but their "songs" were wank. Their singer was a wank-er and a wannabe.

Lemonheads were pretty good if a bit pedestrian at times. I got the feeling Dando could have stood on stage and farted into the mic all night to rapturous applause. There was a lot of folk reliving their youth there which is nice to see. I wasn't really into them back in the day but I did enjoy the tunes all the same.

I thought the Icarus Line were good, but not nearly as good as the last time I saw them (2005, I think).

I only really came to see them and got talking to a few of the guys afterwards, but the singer, Joe cardamone, was trying to seduce a young girl with big boobs and luring over her like a zombie, so I left.

Saw a little bit of lemonHeads and was pretty unimpressed. Didn't really know what to expect, but having a member of Black Flag in their setup, I guess I expected something a little more balls-ay. Only thing that annoyed me of the whole night were the latchy audience at the front for Lemonheads who seemed to see Evan Dando as some kind of Messiah, hanging and cheering like everything they were playing an arena and everythign the were playing was sheer gold. Probably just naive kids.

Guest DustyDeviada

Not sure if I mentioned this, but according to the rock Bible that is the Aberdeen Evening Express, the Icarus Line pissed all over The Lemonheads.

Guest Kilgore Trout

hells bells, wish icould have got a ticket. i've really grown to love the Lemonheads and Dando on the strength of the last band and solo cd's, like wise the icarus line, i loved the 2 dimensional squalor of mono and the anglophile upscaling of pennance soiree pleased me greatly. haruumpff. i've said it before but the ltree is ding for rock bands, it's not a good rock venue, at all. i'm not surprised you lot are debating the finer points of the sound in there on the night because Led Zeppelin would sound like a muffled version of ugly kid joe in that hole of a venue.

yours,

kilgore.

Guest Kilgore Trout
Not sure if I mentioned this, but according to the rock Bible that is the Aberdeen Evening Express, the Icarus Line pissed all over The Lemonheads.

"bobby davro"

well, thats harsh. you are slightly funnier.

Guest Kilgore Trout
"bobby davro"

well, thats harsh. you are slightly funnier.

i disagree, his humour level is on apar with the least funny one from hale and pace-the one that got A>I>D>S.

later,

trout. (replica)